Sensory Room for your DCs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My little one has sensory integration disorder. I was recommended to provided a sensory room for him. Do any of you have a sensory room/bedroom for your kids? whats in them?

Thanks x

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)

When my DD was younger, we had a ball pit for her to play in. We spent time every day doing different sensory things with our hands, like playing in shaving cream, finger paint, cornmeal, etc. We spent time every day outside doing things like swinging, sliding, etc.

She is a teen and still has lots of things in her room with different textures! She loves textures.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 06-18-2013, 09:21 PM

I don't have space for a whole sensory room in our smallish house with six people in it, but I do have some sensory items in the house. My two youngest children have Sensory Processing Disorder as part of Autism Spectrum Disorders and other issues.

The best purchase I made was the Ekorre swing from Ikea. It's hanging in our living room. My sister gave all my kids big Bumpidoodle pillows (sort of like a cross between a Pillow Pet and a bean bag). They are great for my son who craves deep muscle pressure. He loves to have the pillows piled on top of him and to flop down on them.

I don't have them up right now, but my sons have a strong urge to chew and explore with their mouths, so I have hung aquarium tubing from the ceiling so they can chew on it (I inspect it regularly and cut off mangled pieces to make sure they can't bite off a piece and choke).

We also have had some fidget type toys that are sensory, such as bumpy textured rubber balls and chewy toys.

Also to get muscle pressure, I have hung excercise bands from the ceiling so they can pull hard on them. If they let go, the ceiling gets snapped which doesn't hurt anyone.

We have a mini trampoline that is meant for adults to excercise (Urban Rebounder), but my boys have gross motor issues so they have trouble jumping. It rarely gets used at this point.

Outdoors we have swings and a toddler sized slide that I have specifically for sensory reasons.

Raising and educating free-range kids in our farmhouse at the maple woods. In March, find us in the sugarbush making pure maple syrup.

1 me + 1 hubby + 4 kids + 5 goats + 3 pigs + 3 dozen chickens + 6 ducks = 1 crazy place
Old 06-20-2013, 01:50 PM

When my son was younger we didn't do a room but had a lot of stuff to help with his sensory needs. A trampoline with a handlebar, swings, hammock, and tactile things for m to use like play dough etc.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:58 PM

My little guy is almost three. We are blessed with a basement, so we turned that into a sensory room for him. There is a couch for us to sit on while he plays, but we are also working on some social/engagement things so we usually use it as an opportunity to get good interactive play time in.  Right now our Sensory room has:

• Slide with a little hiding space under it for when he needs a break (has a soft blanket, pillow, stuffed animal and flashlight under it)
  • ball pit
  • Kids trampoline with handle bar
  • Crash pad
  • Ikea swing
  • Sand and water table re-purposed as a sensory table with rice and beans in one side and raw pasta in the other side
  • Tunnel
  • Exercise ball

The thing about a sensory room though is that you can't live your whole day down there (-:  So, I've found that we have to have things in the main living area to help with our child's main sensory needs. For us that is deep pressure and tactile. So, we have a smaller sensory bin with pom pom balls, feathers etc in the living room for the tactile, and a huge homemade bean bag pillow (for a small crash pad) as well. To make the crash pad we went to ikea's "as is" section and purchased a large futon cover for $3. Then we went to Meijer and bought 3 bags of bean bag filling. To give you and idea, the pillow is large enough for me to lie down and nap on, which I have very comfortably orngbiggrin.gif. But it is just a black bean bag, so it fits right in with our living room. He crashes on it all day long and it has made a HUGE difference in his ability to stay regulated throughout the day. Whenever he needs deep pressure, he can get it himself.

We also do shaving cream, finger paint, flubber, clay, etc. on a regular basis, and have a sandbox for all over tactile sensations.

User Tag List