Cope with work and parening a child with seizures - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-03-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Am a mum of child with uncontrolled seizures.

I left my job because of our child but now am trying to get back to work.

Doing 3rd or 2nd shift will help me in working and be available in the morning for our child

especially if she is in school, I can get a call anytime to pick her up due to seizures.

It is hard to find 2nd or 3rd shift due to my type of profession, I can get the shift but it takes time. As a matter of fact I have worked several night shifts before and they come to an end unexpectedly.

The question is, are there private care or organizations that can be there for our child in the morning if I

work first shift ? I am located in USA

I look forward  to responses, thanks.

#2 of 4 Old 06-04-2013, 06:39 AM

Not sure where you are at, but it looks like maybe outside the US.  So sorry your dd and yourself have to deal with uncontrolled seizures.  I would start with talking to your daughter's neurologist/epileptologist about services that there office might be aware of.  I would also try to find your local/regional epilepsy foundation.  I realize that some chapters/groups are more active than others.  If they have a director, then they will likely know of more resources, but if not, go to support group meetings to try to find people with experience or knowledge in your area.  Keep asking everyone- even ask at your dd's school.  Ask about respite care.   

#3 of 4 Old 06-04-2013, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Hi and thanks for your response.

Will keep asking. I am in USA, I have edited my post to indicate that.

In the past, when I once asked they said she did not have a worse condition like using tube to feed hence she may not qualify.

#4 of 4 Old 06-04-2013, 07:24 AM

Since you are in the US, I really think finding the person heading up your local Epilepsy Foundation will be the best for local/state resources.  Requirements for respite care can very from area to area; here the one that I am familiar with requires that the primary care giver does not work.  Sometimes it is offered through Epilepsy Foundation.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page