Spinal Issues? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just saw another thread about tethered spine markers and, rather than hijack that thread, I thought I'd ask my question in a new thread.

It has never occurred to me before, but now I'm wondering if I should ask our doctor about DS - he has a fairly deep dimple at the base of his spine (just below his butt crack :) ), he also has stork bites at the base of his neck and in the center of his forehead (though the forehead one is very faint).  Does this seem like something I should worry about?!

He has no signs of weakness, though he does have a language delay. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 04:39 PM

I don't have experience with this but I'll give your thread a little bump and perhaps someone else will have an answer for you. If you have an upcoming appointment/well check, I don't think it would hurt to ask the dr to check it out. Has your son always had a deep dimple there? Is your pediatrician pretty available? You could always just call the office and talk to the nurse there about your concern and see if the Dr wants a visit to check it out. Good luck!

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

As far as I know, stork bites on the back of the neck and forehead are completely normal. The sacral dimple may or may not be - could be a sign of SBO (spina bifida occulta), the presumed prevalence of which in the general population ranges from about 10% to 40%. Most people do not have any symptoms, though some do. Things to watch out for would be:

not being able to see a bottom to the dimple

feet bending in

ankle weakness

hammer toes

bladder isssues: difficulty getting potty trained, frequent UTIs, urgency, not feeling the need to go at all

bowel issues: unexplained constipation or diarrhea, again difficulty getting potty trained

fluid leaking from the dimple (that one would mean see a neurosurgeon like right now)

While children with full blown SB are at higher risk of speech delays, I think that one is too prevalent in the general population to be a useful indicator.

MeDH DS1 10/06 DD 08/10 DS2 10/12with SB and
Old 06-22-2013, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My son has a sacral dimple, it's fairly deep, but we can see all the way to the bottom, so the ped said it wasn't anything to worry about. He's 4.5 now and other than being a little later potty training as far as daycare was concerned he hasn't had any issues.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Just keep at the back of your minds that if you canNOT see the bottom, that means its a red flag to get this checked out with some form of imaging asap (with a newborn, ultrasound may do, older kids or adults may need an x-ray or even an MRI).

However, if you CAN see the bottom, it means that the skin is closed and there is no sinus to the neural tube - the ped is right so far in that you do not need to worry about it as long as the kid does not have any issues. But the dimple can, in very rare cases, still be a sign of SBO, so IF anything turns up, that red flag should pop up again.

More signs that the dimple might be worth keeping in mind:

a tuft of hair inside or close

red discoloration at the site or close

rereading your post, i realized that I've forgotten to put

Signs that the dimple is on the harmless side:

being below the level of the butt crack

MeDH DS1 10/06 DD 08/10 DS2 10/12with SB and
Old 06-24-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, thank you all, this has been very helpful. 

I can see the bottom of the dimple and it is below the butt crack, no hair.  So that is all very comforting.  Since our son is language delayed, I am always watching for other things that might be going on.  Sounds like the dimple is not overly worrying.  I will just wait until we see his dev ped again in a few months.  :)

User Tag List