my son is 9 and still not talking; autistic - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-23-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my son is 9 and still not talking. he said a few words when he was 2.5 yrs old. then lost it. he only babbles. is barely potty trained. the only thing that gives me hope is i met a boy that's autistic that started talking at age 12. i doubt nathan will ever talk. i plan to put him in a group home when his number on the waiting list comes up in about 8 yrs. sad really

#2 of 7 Old 06-23-2013, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hello, and welcome to the Mothering message boards.

I assume that your son has had some therapies and is being seen by a healthcare professional.  Are you looking for specific suggestions or support from other mothers here?  Are you just feeling disillusioned, like there is nothing that you can do?  Feel free to add more to your story. 

#3 of 7 Old 06-23-2013, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Have you tried any computer-assisted communication or PECS cards?  I work with a nonverbal 12yo who can type words on the computer or a talking electronic dictionary. 

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#4 of 7 Old 06-24-2013, 12:48 PM

Rent this documentary. It's fascinating and could give you hope and new place to start.

http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/a-mothers-courage-talking-back-to-autism/index.html

#5 of 7 Old 06-24-2013, 06:27 PM

Feel free to share more of your story and perhaps we can help direct you to resources and things to try to help you and your son connect more. Communication doesn't always come in the form of spoken words and many mamas here have experience with alternative ways to communicate and grow together. I hope you are able to find something here that will help give you more hope in not only your son, but also yourself.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#6 of 7 Old 07-02-2013, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)

hug2.gif

I have 2 autistic nephews - one is 11 and one is 14.  One has echolia and occasional, rare words…one is completely non-verbal.  Neither are completely potty trained and neither will ever live alone.  Both will be placed in group homes.  

Kids who have autism and do well get a lot of press - but it doesn't always turn out that way.  You are not alone.  

fruitfulmomma likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#7 of 7 Old 07-04-2013, 08:42 AM

I've worked with kids with severe autism, many nonverbal. I wouldn't give up yet. Like another poster said, speech is not the only form of communication, and I have seen many kids potty train in adolescence. I taught an 18 year old how to use pecs--nobody had tried before because they assumed he couldn't do it. Please don't give up yet, a lot can still be done.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page