APD diagnosis for my 7yr old daughter...... a little overwhelmed!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-16-2013, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My girl has been "behind" from the start, but this year in grade 1 has really shown her lack of cognitive/social skills and general literacy.

I began seeking advice and assessments earlier this year..... then after many appointments.... last Friday she was diagnosed with Auditory Processing Disorder (APD).

Although a LOT of things now make perfect sense... I feel a little bewildered on where to go next. 

We are now seeing a speech therapist/child psychologist once a week (been once already) and I am just wondering if anyone has any tips????

Any help will would be great. dizzy.gif

TT

#2 of 2 Old 07-17-2013, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
My eldest has an APD and we find that a sound field system in the class is a HUGE help. As well as the other classroom modifications: always sitting at the front of the class, sitting beside someone who won't talk her ear off/distract her (have had a couple of these eyesroll.gif), being allowed to watch what others are doing before she is asked to demonstrate or similar.

Our DD has gone through various phases depending on the year, what part of the year and her teachers. Because she also struggles with some conductive issues in Winter her APD usually presents as worse if she has wax build up.

She has seen a speech and language pathologist and it's best if they can see your DD in a quiet environment while working with her. We were lucky in that we had started the process of figuring out what was up before Kindergarten. So she didn't need the SLP for long. However she has struggled with sounds at times, but we find that as she matures a bit she is able to reconize when she needs to find a quieter space to focus on what you are saying. We've also found that her learning issues will "change". Grade one it was her sounds and reading comprehension. Grade two however she went from reading small books to novels in her age group to suddenly surpassing those quickly and is firmly reading and comprehending novels in the 9-12 age group. This is HUGE for us!

However in Grade two her APD was really noticeable in Math, before they really got into more detailed math the teacher kind of questioned the issues (which her Kindergarten and Grade one teacher had no issue noticing the difficulties) and then all of sudden one day her teacher came out and said "Wow! I finally see it! She's having a hard time in the classroom environment to grasp some of her math!" So we worked in the quiet and calm of home with her and the teacher had some parent helpers take her into a quiet area to work with her and she was doing well smile.gif The teacher also realized that at times she would have to find a time to do oral quizzes when the class was quietly working and not with the usual commotion.

One thing our DD does is makes you think she's heard you. You can ask/give her a question or sentence or two and then ask her what she says and she'll give you the last word or two. Which makes most people think she knows what she's doing... and yet if you ask her more directly for what you wanted or to explain what you just said then she'll finally admit to not knowing because she didn't "hear" it all. I explain this to the teachers and for the most part I think they get it just fine.

However our family has a harder time even understanding what APD *is* and how it affects her never mind when she is and isn't understanding you. So I often have to show them the above example to show how she didn't understand them.

And one of the other and very big (and frustrating to *me*) ways her APD comes out is in discipline. If I'm trying to discuss with her why we can or can't do something or if I've gotten mad then she'll shut down completely. Most of the time I have to realize that this issue is mine, but it's tough sometimes when you are upset to remember that she's not trying to be difficult it's just that her brain at that moment will not allow her to process the info. We often have to have some quiet calm down time and then come back to discuss issues.

We've also realized that my DH also has an APD and I think his might be worse than DD (who's is just borderline based on testing) and that may be MORE frustrating that DD. I find at least she actively participates in trying to find ways of coping, where he sometimes just doesn't care about finding ways of coping eyesroll.gif

Mom to two beautiful girls and  ****5****10****15****20****25********35****40**

Come check out MDC's Updated User Agreement  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page