Doctors are mystified by DS, we're exhausted and frustrated. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 08-11-2013, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I wouldn't disagree with that.  Both are true.

#32 of 35 Old 08-13-2013, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post

None of these really cover any social stuff though...the fact that he rambles on about a single topic without pause, and doesn't seem to understand the give and take of a conversation. Hmm.

This, to me, just sounds typical of an intellectually precocious child.  If he's gifted (you mentioned he was bright, but didn't mention any G/T testing), it's very common for their intellectual development to rush ahead of their social/emotional development.  It's not necessarily the "little professor" behavior of asperger's, just some asynchronous development.

Holly

So...I'm 43 and pregnant with #3 - how'd that happen?  

#33 of 35 Old 08-14-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post

Sorry I haven't gotten back to this thread sooner...thanks so much to everyone for all of your thoughts and suggestions.
Although I certainly do love and accept my son for who he is - he is very unhappy, angry even, and I want to help him so that perhaps we can make some aspects of his life easier and more enjoyable.

From my reading I think he fits SPD, anxiety/OCD, and ADHD. However SPD could possibly be causing the anxiety, aggression, and hyperactivity. None of these really cover any social stuff though...the fact that he rambles on about a single topic without pause, and doesn't seem to understand the give and take of a conversation. Hmm.

That would be a trait of Aspergers Syndrome. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnockedUpButtercup View Post

This, to me, just sounds typical of an intellectually precocious child.  If he's gifted (you mentioned he was bright, but didn't mention any G/T testing), it's very common for their intellectual development to rush ahead of their social/emotional development.  It's not necessarily the "little professor" behavior of asperger's, just some asynchronous development.

Holly

And it could also be both giftedness and Aspergers together. We have one of those in our house. Its really quite common for a child who is exceptionally bright to fit the diagnosis of Aspergers as well. What one may call asynchronous development, another may call a developmental delay. Regardless of the cause, these behaviors cause challenges, not only for parents and teachers, but for the child himself as he struggles with communication (and by this I mean not the formation of words, but the lack of understanding of the whys and hows of sharing words and ideas. What is the point of being smart if you don't have the social skills to use it to benefit yourself and others? I don't mean that harsh, just talking from the other side of childhood as my kids with Aspergers turn into men. Its important not to discount the behaviors but work with them and help them be as capable as they can be so they can be successful in work and relationships while still accepting their quirks and celebrating their smarts. 

Mom to DS(17) autismribbon.gif DS(15) autismribbon.gif DS(12) autismribbon.gif My gifted, quirky, wonderful teens!

Mama to Jack bouncy.gif11.08 and Liam  biggrinbounce.gif 9.11 and due with boy #6! stork-boy.gif  

Blissfully married to the love of my life since 8.8.8 partners.gif 

#34 of 35 Old 08-16-2013, 08:24 AM

Sounds a bit like ASD, SPD, and something else...definitely more than one issue. You have my sympathy--the not knowing what IS really hard sometimes. HUGS.
#35 of 35 Old 08-23-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

So, Tourettes is an immune-system dysfunction?  

I have a child with tics.   I think we do our kids with tics a great disservice to try to find the "Holy Grail" that will fix them instead of just loving them for who and how they are.  My 2 cents.  (Of course I agree with feeding him good food, etc., but I don't expect it to change him.) 

PS.  I see similar parallels with this and the Autism debate............some people accept it as genetic and don't try to change their kids, whereas others insist it is environmental and do everything under the sun to change it.   I just wanted to let the OP know that there are, in fact, two (or more) camps of theory on tics, and not just the PANS/PANDAS one.  

I have a child with tics too. He does not have Tourettes but could have been easily misdiagnosed were we not on the path we are on.

Hell no I won't just love and accept my child having an autoimmune condition in which he is perpetually disturbed by his body not working like HE wants it to. I love him by treating his underlying MEDICAL issues so he can live a happy, healthy life, comfortable in his own skin. Tics aren't part of that equation at our house.

Because we have treated his medical issues, the majority of his "autism" has resolved and he will likely soon lose his diagnosis. His tics drove him to tears and we eliminated them completely by treating his immune system dysfunction. I had a basically suicidal five year old on my hands a few months ago. I make no apologies for treating his misery instead of accepting it and loving him anyhow. I love him no matter what. I was not going to try to teach him to function in his world in misery and teach him to accept that and love himself anyhow. My plan was to treat the source of his misery. I think anyone who has a kid with autism or tics caused by pans/pandas is doing their child a huge disservice to ignore that 99.9% of these kids have underlying medical issues. And I'm not talking about Tourette's. I don't know enough about it. I do know many kids are misdiagnosed however.
Mirzam likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page