good school sneakers for a child with low tone - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-02-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

My DS is 3 and has a genetic growth disorder called russell silver syndrome. He is very tiny kid, we just finally hit 21 lbs!! he has low muscle tone do to the syndrome . He can walk and run, but falls very often and is significantly delayed in gross motor skills. He will be starting the special education preschool in our district this sept. Im just starting the school shopping and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion of a brand that worked well with their child with low tone. He doesn't need braces or orthotics ( i am looking into these though) but definitely a supportive shoe. His last pair were pedipeds, his PT wanted something with a higher ankle to support him better, but i am a soft flexible shoe kinda mama, the pedipeds were wonderful, except he is now in the next group of sizes ( i believe "Flex") and this group of shoes changes the ankles to be lower. We've done teva and keen as well. I went on zappos and some of the nike ones seemed good, but i wanted a little advice before i invest. Which works best for your kiddos? Thanks in advance for the advice!!!

#2 of 4 Old 08-02-2013, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I've tried a lot of brands with DS1 who is low tone as well. We like Nike out of all the ones we've tried, they are not flexible which I like for my other kids but all his therapists really steer me to more supportive shoes. Our favorites are a very basic black lace up model with the white swoosh. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 4 Old 08-02-2013, 07:50 PM

Do you have a New Balance store?  I liked the individualized assessment and attention we got there, and they carry wide widths, which we need.  They have a pretty good selection for kids.... we bought a minimalist pair as well as a sturdier pair of all around sneakers... they kind of resemble hikers.

#4 of 4 Old 08-03-2013, 05:28 AM

Tsukihoshi is my favorite brand for my low tone boy. They are light as a feather and super flexible. These were the first sneakers he could get on himself and do the velcro. http://www.tsukihoshi.com/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page