anyone else dealing with this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-06-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my 6 year old is being evaluated for pediatric schitzophrenia, and from what I have gleaned from google, it appears to be at least part of his diagnostic profile. that or ASD/ ODD, but that feels incomplete for what we're dealing with.

he is very introverted, to the point of attacking people who try to engage him. he has bizarre, terrifying, unprovoked rage fits. he spends days on end in his own little world, and no one can reach him. he deliberately hurts and torments the cat and dog, his older brother, and other kids at school. he has no empathy, no remorse, a very weak comprehension of cause and effect, and no concept of right and wrong. there is so much more, but I think you get the idea.

is anyone else dealing with things like this? do you have any strategies or advice? I am exhausted and stressed out and feel so guilty because I secretly think that he's a monster, some of the time. it's hard to love a kid who fairly consistently tries to gouge my eyes out and destroy my stuff.

I've been told to call the police when he freaks out, at least so we have a record of his behavior. he's 35 lbs, so I can still control him right now, but I know that's temporary. using a pressure vest and/or a weighted blanket and/ or noise cancelling headphones can avert some of his episodes, but if I miss that window of time when they work it's just too late.

please tell me i'm not alone.

#2 of 6 Old 08-08-2013, 06:53 PM

I have no experience with this, but it must be heartbreaking. I just wanted to send you hugs...

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#3 of 6 Old 08-08-2013, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

You are most certainly not alone!

My 11yo has shown signs of early onset bipolar disorder since birth.  I have tried all sorts of dietary interventions and supplements, but we have finally resorted to med trials.  So far, nothing has helped.  I am thinking of taking him to a big university research center that specializes in early onset bpd.  Perhaps you could find such a place for your dc to be seen?

Bring back the old MDC
#4 of 6 Old 08-09-2013, 06:13 AM

What a difficult situation. I hope you are able to get the help you need, so that your ds and family are not in danger from his condition. I am not knowledgable about pediatric schizophrenia. Have you seen a pediatric neurologist as part of the dx process? I recently read a book called Silently Seizing, and it highlighted that many kids with ASD have undx seizures. The author's son had unprovoked rages (temporal lobe partial complex), and was misdx with psychosis instead. I think the author does phone consultations and is really knowledgable about comorbid conditions both from the perspective of a parent and a nurse. http://www.silentlyseizing.com
#5 of 6 Old 08-09-2013, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

You are most certainly not alone!

My 11yo has shown signs of early onset bipolar disorder since birth.  I have tried all sorts of dietary interventions and supplements, but we have finally resorted to med trials.  So far, nothing has helped.  I am thinking of taking him to a big university research center that specializes in early onset bpd.  Perhaps you could find such a place for your dc to be seen?

I recommend the work of Dr William J Walsh, and his book Nutrient Power. Check out some of his videos too. I would be very cautious about allowing a 'big university research center' in my child's life when basically all they have at their disposal are pharmaceutical drugs. (Just my opinion)

http://www.walshinstitute.org/nutrient_power.asp

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#6 of 6 Old 08-12-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Hello

Thanks for all the supportive and helpful replies.  He is still being evaluated (it takes fooorever!) and several potential diagnoses are being discussed, but the schitzophrenia is the one that, unfortunately, fits him best. in my fantasies it all turns out to be a simple vitamin deficiency, but I know it's more permanent, difficult, and scary than that. i'm sure you all understand that secret, unrealistic hope.

for now his violent outbursts are manageable, but that's because he weighs 35 lbs. when he gets bigger I will more than likely have to medicate him. I dread that day. he is sometimes the snuggliest, most fun little boy and the idea of sedating him turns my stomach.

Melissa, I will look at the site you recommended.

again, thanks!

Tags
Special Needs Parenting

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page