Mothering Forum banner

Is / When is delayed potty training considered a developmental delay?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  octobermom 
#1 ·
The title says it all. Maybe it's never considered a developmental delay by itself but it could indicate that there is a delay because the child doesn't have the skills to do it? I can't find anything that is clear on the subject.

#2 ·
pattimomma, I've actually never heard of late potty training being seen as a delay alone. There is actually a girl in our DS's typical preschool who is still not potty trained at 4.5. She is totally typical in every other way, just won't potty train. I can't imagine anyone would call her developmentally delayed. Not sure what's going on, but she seems advanced in literally every other way. I'll be curious to hear any other thoughts.

Our late talking DS just potty trained at 4.5 and still has trouble when in underwear....

#3 ·
I don't think it would, alone, be considered a reason to qualify someone as developmentally delayed. But, our birth to three program will cover the cost of diapers if the child is not trained at 4. My sn child trained a few months before her 4th birthday, but she is still a bit inconsistent and terrified of public bathrooms. So we have to throw a pull up on her if we are going to be out for a long time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.