Weaning from Family bed w/ASD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-19-2013, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was wondering if anyone had ideas on how to gently transition an ASD child from Cosleeping to their own bed? DD is six now and it's getting difficult to sleep all smushed up. I would love to put a bed for her near us, or in our room, but our room is really small, even a toddler mattress wouldn't fit. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? All are appreciated.

aknit.gif trekkie.gif mama to DS reading.gif and DD energy.gif autismribbon.gif  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Two (both are boys) of my five kids are on the spectrum. I weaned them to their own beds in a similar manner as I did my typical kids. One was three and the other was five when the transition occurred. I spent many nights laying in DS's bed with him until he fell asleep. Then I would go to my own bed. If he woke up I went back to his bed (many, many times a night, sometimes it felt like I had a newborn again). Of course we spent time, before this started, talking about his room, his bed, what he needed to be comfortable - weighted blanket, white noise machine. Some kids may like a vibrating stuffed animal. It took a long time (months, I don't remember how many but it was a long time) but they both go to sleep in their own rooms in their own beds just fine now.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

Old 09-22-2013, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would put them to bed each night by laying with them until they fell asleep. When they woke up I'd either go sleep with them for a bit or I'd bring them into our bed. Over time they woke less frequently, but it was a long time before DD could go to bed without me laying with her to sleep, and DS still needs me. But honestly, he's my last kid and they are growing up so fast that I'm actually cherishing these times, even though there are nights when I wish I didn't have to. 

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 09-27-2013, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68 View Post
 But honestly, he's my last kid and they are growing up so fast that I'm actually cherishing these times, even though there are nights when I wish I didn't have to. 

DD is my last as well, and I feel just the same - trying to cherish these moments even when I'm exhausted. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattimomma View Post

Of course we spent time, before this started, talking about his room, his bed, what he needed to be comfortable - weighted blanket, white noise machine. Some kids may like a vibrating stuffed animal.

this is a really great idea, I will have to try it. I'm already working on making her a weighted blanket, but I think she'd really like a vibrating stuffed animal.

Thanks to you both!

aknit.gif trekkie.gif mama to DS reading.gif and DD energy.gif autismribbon.gif  

Old 09-29-2013, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD also really enjoyed listening to audio books. That was how I was first able to leave her before she fell asleep. 

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

User Tag List