Ipod touch - arm band for communication device? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-22-2013, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!

My 2nd grader has a severe articulation disorder and uses an ipad as her communication device currently.  But 'using' is a loose term.  She does not take it out at school when she needs to communicate the most.  Part of me was thinking that if we got the same app (touch chat) for an ipod touch and had her wear it to school, that maybe she would use it more.  Has anyone ever done this?  Her cognitive development is average to above average for her age (7) and  she is able to work a smaller device.  Her intelligebility is being tested right now (its an evaluation year), but last year it was around 40%.  So, she would in theory be using this through out the day to bridge communication gaps with peers and teachers. 

Thank you for your feedback

Hayley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 06:49 PM

I'm not familiar with touch chat, but I work with kids who use Proloquo 2 go on an iPad, and around here it is almost never prescribed on an iPod because it requires so much more scrolling through pages to find the folders the kids are looking for. I am guessing that the configuration for touch pad on the iPod would also result in more scrolling through pages to find the words she is looking for - would that be frustrating for her? Also, if it is in an arm band will she need to remove it to use it effectively to communicate? I wonder if getting her a good stand to place the iPad in on her desk, and a good case with a carry strap might make her more likely to have it accessible, and perhaps the teacher could prompt her to get it out and put it on her desk. Then you could re-evaluate if it is being used effectively once she is more used to having easy access to it.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. My daughter started off with an Ipad with an Iadapter case when she was in Kindergarten.  It was so heavy that we upgraded her backpack to a hiking pack with chest clips.  She would take her Ipad out and place it on her desk.  But never wanted to carry it anywhere even with the strap and handle.  So, last year they (her team at school and the tech guru) suggested that we try a mini ipad....we opted to remove the iadaptor and got a very simple 'kids' case with handle for her ipad.  It is much lighter...but, she still does not use it much.  I agree....scrolling could be an issue on the ipod, her touch chat program is set to have modules that are 12 by 7. ...  which will be tiny on the ipod....hmmm, I think I need to try it out on my phone first to see if it is usable.  As far as the arm band...I was thinking of something on the inside of her forearm...she could type/touch while its still on her arm. Maybe I am just going too far....and we should try out a mini first.  I guess, I felt that the mini ipad was not compact enough to really bring along either....but to be honest, I have never held one.  

User Tag List