Pecs vs iPad at school - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-24-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter goes to a school specifically for special needs, but she was the first one to come into the classroom with her own iPad (thanks to Early Intervention).  Teachers weren't too thrilled to have to learn something new and prefer to use PECS bc that's what they are used to.  Does anyone else have similar issues?  We don't have PECS at our house anymore b/c of the iPad but now I feel like maybe if that's what they are going to be primarily using at school we should go back to that.  It's frustrating b/c she does so well with the ipad but she does need someone to program it for her and hold it for her as she is only 4 and very tiny. 

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#2 of 3 Old 10-04-2013, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

It looks like your post might have been missed, so I wanted to bump it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have similar experiences or a recommendation to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 3 Old 10-05-2013, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

MAKE them use the ipad!! My 7 year old son has ASD and is non-verbal. He has been using the ipad (proloquo2go mainly for communication) for two years now, forst with his IBI therapist- it took some convincing for public school, until they saw how much FASTER he was picking up the communication system on the ipad than he was with PECS or signing (at school they were still working on the goal of 2-pec requests/sentences where with the ipad he was already doing 2 or 3)... By the end of that year the school system got him an ipad just for him at school! He switched schools recently and it's been a bit frustrating because no one know how to use it- which is crazy to me, it seems like a more advanced and fluent form of PECS and communication, but my son- in a classroom full of 1st-5th kids on the spectrum, is the only one with an ipad! The teachers and therapists are already giving me positive feedback about it a month into school though :)

His Dev therapist and school still use pecs and some signing because it is more universal/ available than ipad (My son doesn't always have his ipad with him out in public, but a keyring with multiple laminated PECS is helpful to have on hand, as well as a visual schedule with PECS, and he uses them for quick exchanges with other children/adults. 

My main policy has always been to pressure the school system for what I want. Do you have anyone that advocates for you, like a service coordinator or therapist? I have had to twist their arms about a lot of things, but they always honor what I insist upon in the end... Even if it takes some reminding. Be straightforward and firm- and make sure they write it into her IEP as she gets older, or now if she has something similar! :)

What communication program(s) do you use on the ipad?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page