How do you get the supplements into them?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-28-2013, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I finally feel like we're starting down the right path in identifying nutritional sensitivities and deficiencies for my 3.5 yo with high functioning autism - working with a great developmental ped who's really working carefully to see what might and might not be an issue. She's started him on a couple of supplements and will probably add a few more - but how in the world am I supposed to get him to take them??? When I put them (they're powders) in diluted juice, they don't completely dissolve and leave a gritty mud in the bottom of the cup that he won't drink. So I've been mixing that residue with a little applesauce, which he is barely tolerating, and I don't think it will be long before he refuses it completely. He's never accepted smoothies. We're pretty much dairy free, so yogurt is out. Heat causes the supplements to lose their effectiveness, so I can't cook them into anything.

Help, please? TIA!

#2 of 12 Old 10-28-2013, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hi Baltmom!  At a certain point, I had talks with my children, about what a body needs to be strong....and that the "green stuff" as well call it in our house, was what helped them get enough good nutrients to grow and think well.  (green stuff is a mix of apple sauce, vitamin contents opened from capsules and "perfect food" which is predigested greens and sprouts in a powder form).  When they were really small I would call it "body strong medicine" and tell them, truthfully, that the best food is like medicine. 

I would show them that I take it too...which I do...and we would all hold our nose together.  I would also explain that while our taste buds went yuck, our body would go yum....and in this instance, we have to ignore our taste buds.  It helps also that I tell them candy fools their taste buds.  Their mouth says yum but their body says yuck!  So, sometimes, taste buds don't tell us what's good for us.

I also offer them a glass of chocolate almond milk right after, to get the taste out of their mouths, and it also helps to find as many of the supplements you can find in liquid form.  Often magnesium, vitamin d, b12 etc, can be found in liquid and my children can deal with that more easily.

Hope that this helps.  Glad to hear you found good help and guidance from the developmental pediatrician.  It makes a world of difference to find good help and support.

#3 of 12 Old 10-28-2013, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

He's very much a partner in all of this. He knows the medicines are to help him feel good and be strong. He wants to take them - he just really has trouble getting them down...

#4 of 12 Old 10-28-2013, 05:14 PM

You mean he can't swallow it or is he gagging, or feeling like it makes his stomach upset?  If he is having a hard time swallowing it because it makes him gag, then you can try to put it in chocolate sauce....  You can find a sauce with no diary or soy at whole foods.....Does it make his stomach upset?  If so you can experiment with ways to help his stomach settle afterward.  It may be better to take it on a full stomach to prevent upset.

I think it would help if I had a better idea of what was hard about getting them down.  It's wonderful he's so willing to take them.  My kids were not so accomodating ;)

#5 of 12 Old 10-29-2013, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

He says it makes him cough, but I haven't seen any actual gagging, though I'm sure it does feel that way. I really think it's mostly the texture. When I've asked if it's the feeling or the taste, he says it's both. That distinction must be tough for a 3.5 yo especially with sensory challenges. The chocolate sauce has sugar, right? We do no sugar except fruit, and even if it were sugar-free, I'd be hesitant to introduce the caffeine in chocolate. But another strong and yummy tasting sauce might help, if I could find one. Or make one.

#6 of 12 Old 10-29-2013, 11:41 AM

Can you do non-dairy yogurt?  I ask because that has been the only way I've consistently gotten anything into our DS.  Something about the flavor of yogurt masks the supplements.  When we were off dairy, coconut yogurt was a big favorite :)

I've also tried gummies which works sometimes.  But not sure how I feel about the sugar in those. 

#7 of 12 Old 10-29-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Non-dairy yogurt - I think that might work! Thank you, Fizgig! And if it has some protein, so much the better - that would solve another dilemma :)

#8 of 12 Old 10-29-2013, 03:53 PM

Baltmom and fizgig, just a warning to be careful with coconut yogurt.  The brands i've found are usually cultured with strep, noted on the labels as s. thermophilis.  If you child tics or is prone to strep going out of balance in the gut it can be difficult to tolerate in the yogurt.  Sometimes we do fine with it here in my house, but, there were a number of years when I couldn't buy it.  Thankfully, my son's gut is much healthier these days so we are back to eating it occasionally.

#9 of 12 Old 10-29-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up, Livinglife. This is so complicated.

#10 of 12 Old 10-29-2013, 05:51 PM

This may be out of the question...but just thought I'd mention it:

Do you happen to have a really high quality blender that makes things super smooth (like a Vitamix or Blendtech)? If so, that might be enough of a texture difference to get him eating smoothies. It's made a big difference in my family. Smoothies done in the 'fancier' blenders are significantly smoother than the ones done in regular 'ol $20-50 blenders.
#11 of 12 Old 10-30-2013, 05:33 AM

You can always culture coconut milk yourself to make yogurt or kefir....I've never tried it but there are recipes online and you can decide what cultures are used to make it like those from a good probiotic (like the Jarrow brand).  And, the probiotic is really good for you too!

#12 of 12 Old 10-30-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

I don't have a high-quality blender but if it would get him eating smoothies, I'd make the investment. Thanks! I'll have to see if I can borrow one to test it out.

I'll look for the recipes, thanks! I also see that one of the main coconut yogurt brands also makes almond yogurt, so I think I'll try that. The color's going to be interesting, since one of our supplements is quercitin (a bright yellow like turmeric). And yes, we love our probiotics :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page