ADHD starting to affect school (Kindergarten) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-05-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had DS evaluated at A.I. Children's this summer to try to be prepared for this upcoming year . The dx was not surprising, DH and his mom are both on medication for ADHD too. We had an IEP meeting at the end of September to discuss how he was settling in. Teacher sung his praises of how hard he works, usually finishing amongst the last and how caring he is.. Of course mama is all love.gif

This week we get a note saying how fidgety he was, though it didn't affect his work. DH wants to make an appointment to discuss meds so he doesnt fall behind and start to get discouraged making things worse. I'm just nervous about giving him meds so early, I feel like we should be able to help with this without meds but at the same time we are frustrated at home not knowing how to help. Behaviors that we are getting that are just flat out annoying us atm are things like throwing things at us and sisters, knocking his sisters over or basically bulldozing them and hitting. Name calling. Constantly mooning and potty humor. trying to throw himself on our backs without warning or even if asked not to.

I've been trying to follow Dr. markham's style, but I fall short a lot. DH is like surfing in a stormy sea, he is bipolar and ADHD so there are days that are really good, but most days he holes up in the basement for everyone's sake. I don't want to give meds just so he is easier to handle or to make our lives easier but I'm not sure where to go from here. help.gif

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#2 of 3 Old 11-08-2013, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

The potty humor is definitely very typical of this age. Personally, i would wait to see if  is really an issue or not. Im a little suspect of how they diagnose adhd. Are you confident its the correct diagnosis? Are there other issues that could be causing this?  Im no expert, there are others on this board that know more.  But  im just putting those questions out there.

My son has apd (auditory processing disorder) which looks a whole lot like adhd, but isnt.

ps. you did mention it runs in the family, which makes the case stronger. Still, i would want to wait. Kindergarten is meant as a bridge between preschool and  academic school. Why is so  much pressure put on kids so young?

#3 of 3 Old 11-09-2013, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for your reply, I just read up thread and I will look into a neuropsych evaluation. I was told by our Parents as Teacher guide who is a retired teacher that K is the new 1st. But it does seem like they've expected him to hit the ground running. He has a list of sight words to memorize each month to be practiced 3x a week, predecodable books he reads each day, a pack of worksheets usually three and online math homework 2x a week. DH is a high school teacher and makes up neat activities for the sight words, I have to ask him to let up though and give DS a break and down time when he gets over zealous and wants to do it everyday or wants to start right after DS gets off the school bus eyesroll.gif

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page