Alone Time for HFA 3 yo - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-09-2013, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's been really clear to me that my HFA or Aspie 3 yo has always liked and needed alone time. For a long time he used to sit in a tent in our livingroom where all of his stuffed animals are and sing and talk to them/himself. It calmed him and he was so happy in there. He also used to like to sit and just listen to music.

Lately he isn't doing these things and the only thing that he likes to do and wants to do alone is use his iPad. I'm trying to limit screen time but at the same time I realize he needs this time alone to recharge and centre himself. It's not all bad- the stuff on his iPad is mostly educational games and some videos. But I always have that nagging about too much screen time in the back of my head.

I'm looking for ideas for other things he might like to do on his own? He likes looking at/reading books and is able to read independently now. But he will always ask for the iPad. 

What does your HFA/Aspie kid like to do for alone time?

Should I just allow him to use the iPad? I'm just afraid it will become the only thing he wants to do... it seems to be headed in that direction.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#2 of 3 Old 11-10-2013, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Around 3/4 is when I introduced the Magic Tree House series to my son who liked to be alone an hour or so every day after school, and still likes that time to unwind and recharge.  Each story is a little over an hour in length, they are historic, fanciful and sweet....nothing too scary and very age appropriate for Kindergarten 1st graders.  But, for someone like my son, he needed the complexity of the story to keep his mind interested and engaged.  Great stories....

Also, the barefoot book publishers sell compilations of stories with a cd attached.  Also, great stories, wonderful pictures, and each cd is about an hour in length.  Perfect....

#3 of 3 Old 11-10-2013, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh this sounds great- just the thing DS could get into! Will look into it.

Thanks

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page