am or pm preschool? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-14-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am stressing and I need some outside opinions!

I just had my first meeting for iep preschool for my sons speech delay. They want him to attend AM and I think that would be nice,  but their 8:15 start time is going to stress out our mornings. He's going to attend 4 days a week.

As it stands, I take my 6 year old to school and the latest he can arrive is 8:10, which is usually when we make it there. It's about a 10 minute drive each way. Preschool at our "home school" is less than 5 minutes away. 

With out current track record getting out the door, my little one will likely be late unless something magical changes in our am routine. In fact, he's usually asleep until we are just about ready to get out the door. So now I'll need to get him fully dressed AND fed just to get out the door.

If I can get my 6yo at school between 7:45-8:00, we will make it to preschool on time. But that will mean we have to do our whole morning routine and be out the door no later than 7:35, and he's always asleep at that time.

If he goes to the PM session, which I have requested but it has to be approved, he will be with kids who are closer to starting kindergarten, and will go from 11:30-2. He'll be 3 in Jan. 

PM will allow us to still have our mornings together and he could still do story times and a class through the parks and rec. on occasion. But a part of me now wonders if doing any activities before school would make him too tired to get anything out of preschool. 

As it stands he does not take a nap. Maybe having to wake him up earlier than he's used to will make him tired enough to nap after school, but I really do not see that happening.

There are other schools that start later, but they are not our home school. One school in particular starts at 8:55 and has just as good as scores as my sons charter. I know it's too early to even think about that... but based soley on scores, if we had to choose a public school, i'd choose that one over the one closest to us. It's about 4 miles away, so with traffic, that's another 10 minute drive to and from.

The only good thing about the home school is that I can ride my bike to pick him up at 10:45. With PM i could ride him to and from class, but I'm not sure I will really end up doing that when it starts to get cold out.

So, do I request the "better" ranked school through the school district so he can have a later start time?

Can I even request a different school? Worst case if they don't approve a PM scheduled because he's still very young, do I just hope that we can all wake up earlier and get out the door so both kids can be at school on time?

I HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE! PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE! :)

#2 of 6 Old 11-14-2013, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would do the A.M. schedule. I know getting up earlier is hard but it sounds to me like it would fit better in your schedule with life and school and such.

It's so hard to know!

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#3 of 6 Old 11-14-2013, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

I just did a mapquest and basically I will be driving about 23 miles a day between just bussing to and from school. That's an hour of my day in the car. Add 7 miles and 15 minutes if he can go to any other school that starts at 8:55. Not that big of a deal, but it does add up over the course of a week. If I did that extra 7 miles on bike, that would be a plus too, especially since my little one loves the bike and i'd get some exercise. 

Riding to and from school in the AM would perhaps tire him out for a nap in the afternoon before it's time to pick up his brother.

I can see PM being a poor fit time wise, but it's more realistic for us than the 8:15. But an 8:55 start time would be perfect!

Honestly if it wasn't for his speech being delayed, he would not be going to preschool. He would be doing the same things I did for my oldest son who is thriving in school, but yet he was speaking in sentences clearly by 3, and is gifted.  So they have some differences here.

If I can choose to have him in a better school in these early years I think I should do that, so I guess I have to wait until tomorrow to see if that's even an option. Once he gets to Kindergarten he will go to the charter my son is at now, and hopefully by then he has no issues.

But if he still has issues, he'll need to go to a public school for the iep, and through this whole process now I know what the better public schools are, and the one down the street would not be my school of choice. So why settle in these early years when he's even more impressionable? I really hope I can get him into an AM schedule at a different school otherwise he's gonna be later every day! But I guess it's better to be late most days, than go in later when he's not always at his best.

#4 of 6 Old 11-17-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Not that anyone cares, but thought I would update and say that everything worked out! They switched him to my preferred school that starts later. To get him comfortable we rode our bikes there together as a family. It only took 25 minutes with stops, and clocked in at around 3.2 miles, which is a little less than if I drove him. I can get to the school in under 10 minutes, but it's so nice out I am going to ride him to and from whenever possible. 

He can see farm animals on the way, stop at the park to eat lunch after school to play and then head home to hopefully nap a bit. Tomorrow is his first day so I am nervous, but I know it will be good for him and the teacher seems very nice. We encountered two little girls who just turned 2 playing at the park today and they were talking up a storm, so I know for sure now that he's got some catching up to do.

I'm just thankful that I didn't put off having him evaluated longer. The timing has been perfect and since he turns 3 in January they said he can go ahead and start right away. It's a big step for both of us but I'm looking forward to seeing how things go in the next few months.

#5 of 6 Old 11-18-2013, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Glad it all worked out! I hope the transition goes smoothly for you.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#6 of 6 Old 11-19-2013, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dearcory View Post

Not that anyone cares, but thought I would update and say that everything worked out! They switched him to my preferred school that starts later. To get him comfortable we rode our bikes there together as a family. It only took 25 minutes with stops, and clocked in at around 3.2 miles, which is a little less than if I drove him. I can get to the school in under 10 minutes, but it's so nice out I am going to ride him to and from whenever possible. 

He can see farm animals on the way, stop at the park to eat lunch after school to play and then head home to hopefully nap a bit. Tomorrow is his first day so I am nervous, but I know it will be good for him and the teacher seems very nice. We encountered two little girls who just turned 2 playing at the park today and they were talking up a storm, so I know for sure now that he's got some catching up to do.

I'm just thankful that I didn't put off having him evaluated longer. The timing has been perfect and since he turns 3 in January they said he can go ahead and start right away. It's a big step for both of us but I'm looking forward to seeing how things go in the next few months.

That's awesome!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page