Help with some questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-18-2013, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello moms!

I am a college student and I am learning to become a teacher. I am taking a special education class at the moment and I am supposed to interview parents who have children with special needs. I hope this is not inappropriate, but I was wondering if anyone would be willing to answer some questions I have.

Thanks for your help!

#2 of 4 Old 11-18-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some of my questions if that helps:

What's your child's disability? When was your child diagnosed? Did it take long to find the right diagnosis? When did you first suspect that your child has a disability? How did you get information on the subject? Who helped (school? Doctor? Friends? Online communities? Other?)? Did you feel like your child's school was helpful or did you want more help? Does your child's disability impact his/her school achievement? What other aspects of your child's life were impacted? What's the hardest part about having a child with a disability? How did your child's disability impact your family? 

You are welcome to answer any or all of these questions or/and add whatever you think is important (Either private message or on here). I would really appreciate your help. I am very interested in the topic.

Thanks!

#3 of 4 Old 11-18-2013, 09:02 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hello. Thank you for being interested in the parent's perspective. I am happy to hear that you, as a future teacher, are interested. I am not the best person to answer your questions - I hope some other mamas here will chime in with the specifics. My experience with diagnosis and the school system was generally negative. No formal  therapy was helpful with YoungSon, but he is thriving today. I have no clue if his diagnosis of ASD was accurate - he has "outgrown" all the symptoms that were so serious 10 years ago. We did not fit into any of the behavioral programs that were offered, and ended up declining the whole system. This does not mean that I think all approaches are useless - I know that for some kids the traditional programs are a godsend.

The biggest message I would want to send to future special ed teachers is: please listen to the parents! We are the PhD level experts on our individual children. We are the ones with the vested interest in the long-term outcome of whatever you do. As dedicated as you are, you will only be with him for a year or two - I am the one with the lifetime interest. I don't mean this to minimize your dedication. We appreciate your sincere caring, and the education you bring to the team. But if we say that we have tried an approach (behavior charts, time-outs, more structure, whatever), and it isn't meaningful to our kid, please believe us.

I hope this conversation grows from some of the other folks here - I know my perspective is only mine. I admire that you are sincerely asking for the parents' perspective. Please listen to the veiwpoints of all who respond. We all have different opinions, but please trust that all are sincere.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#4 of 4 Old 11-19-2013, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Hello mamarhu!

Thanks for your reply. That helps a lot! I am sure that it is difficult to have a child with a disability and I am sure that many teachers are not sensitive enough to the topic and some might not take parents as seriously as they should. Parents should be the number one priority, next to the child.

Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page