Games advice, for a 6yo w/ADHD and some hand/eye issues - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-08-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'd like to figure out some things my daughter (nearly 7, ADHD, visual processing and some motor issues) will actually enjoy that will also help her improve in the areas challenging for her.

She loves animals (mostly horses and dogs), loves playing quietly with horse models setting up stables or making harnesses or saddles, that kind of thing.  Unsurprisingly, she's not into ball sports.  She likes to draw.

She doesn't so much mind her more active vision therapy, like hitting a rubber ball on a string hung from the ceilng back to us with her hand, but it's not her favorite and for the most part she doesn't like things that challenge her hand/eye coordination.  Do any of you know of any activities or products (like a game that's on the market) that might capture her attention?  Something moving that involves play animals?  

I wish I had the time to sit home and make toys.  

#2 of 7 Old 12-15-2013, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

It looks like your post might have been missed, so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have suggestions to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 7 Old 12-17-2013, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my son likes bop it

#4 of 7 Old 12-17-2013, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What about something like a paint-by-numbers of horses? Or is that above her level?

#5 of 7 Old 12-18-2013, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I do not know if this is what you are thinking about, but there are tracing books with horses, hide and seek mazes with horses, and Legos, too for fine motor. My son liked Highlights magazine at that age for visual processing activities. It would be a happy day when it came in the mail, and new activities every month.

For gross motor, have you tried therapeutic riding? Our riding center combined riding with horseshoes, basketball, and other visual and physical performance tasks all done on horseback.  

#6 of 7 Old 12-23-2013, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Those are all great ideas.  THank you.

#7 of 7 Old 01-03-2014, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

How about making felt blankets for her toy horses? Cut some squares of felt the right size, then maybe she could sew round the edges with embroidery thread to decorate them.

Building a stable out of a cardboard box should give lots of opportunities for scissor practice.

The Lego friends range has lots of animal sets, they are pretty fiddly to put together though. The ones we have seemed to have more tiny bits than most of DSs lego city sets.

For hand eye coordination DSs OT recommended a stomp rocket, he has to set of the rocket and try to touch it as it goes past, progressing to eventually catching it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page