Introducing myself- xeroderma pigmentosum mama - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-14-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I spent a lot of time on mothering a few years back, but haven't really been on here much at all in the past few years. 

My 14 month old son was diagnosed with xeroderma pigmentosum in April 2012. Short version- it is a rare genetic disorder (about 1000 people in the world with it). It is in the category of DNA repair disorders. Acutely, sun exposure causes severe burns (half an hour of sunlight late in the afternoon gave him 2nd degree burns over 18 percent of his body and put him in the hospital for 5 days), and long term, all damage caused by UV is permanent, giving him a 10,000 increased risk of some forms of skin cancer, and 1000 increased risk of some other forms of cancer.  With his specific type of XP, he also has a 50% chance of neurological deterioration that can be anywhere from learning disabilities or ataxia to death, and can start anytime from infancy to adulthood. 

(For more info his website is www.pacificnights.org

It's a pretty isolating disease, since most public places aren't safe for him (fluorescent and halogen lights also give off UV, in addition to sunlight). I used to do the online forums thing a lot and found friendship. I'm back in the state I grew up in right now (and had sworn I would never live in again) due to a complicated custody battle that I don't feel comfortable posting about publicly, and I think making some new connections, especially with people who can understand at least some of the challenges of kids with special needs, would be really good for me. 

Mom to ds 10/12 and dd 2/05 ribbonrainbow.gif

Blogging about living with xeroderma pigmentosum at www.pacificnights.org/ and about life in general at http://livingavibrantlife.blogspot.com/
#2 of 3 Old 12-14-2013, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I "think" I remember you from the adoption forum. I'm sorry that your baby has a serious disorder. I can't imagine how that impacts your life. (((HUGS.)))
#3 of 3 Old 12-14-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yep, Polliwog, that was me! You are involved with Reggio as well, right? How have you been doing?? I mostly left mothering after my adoption fell apart. My 'usual haunt' of the adoption forum wasn't relevant anymore and real life became rather busy. I think it will be a good outlet for me now though. 

Mom to ds 10/12 and dd 2/05 ribbonrainbow.gif

Blogging about living with xeroderma pigmentosum at www.pacificnights.org/ and about life in general at http://livingavibrantlife.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page