Seizures in 6 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-11-2014, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone!  My dd has had four seizures the past month and half.  All her test have come back normal except EEG shows some spikes.  The neurologist are still trying to get the dosage right for her meds so she has been like a zombie most days since starting it. Her seizures go on for 15-20 minutes.  I've had to give her rectal valium twice now and it is so scary.  Every time I think she is going to die.  I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what's causing them.  From the vaccine she got a week before her first one to vit d deficiency.  It sucks getting no answers from the experts.  And now I'm on ultra alert because she had one in her sleep last night.  If she hadn't been in my bed I don't know that I would have even noticed.  I was just reading about frankincense oil and its ability to stop seizures.  I just ordered some to try. Has anyone else gone through this?  Looking forward to hearing other mamas that have made it through. 

Eating is an agricultural act.  -Wendell Berry

#2 of 5 Old 01-11-2014, 06:34 PM

I am so sorry your dd is going through this.  If there was not a known injury then usually the source of the seizures is called idiopathic (unknown).  It could be genetic.  I find epilepsy.com has lots of helpful information.  Sometimes it helps to look at the professional site.  I would consult her neurologist before giving her any remedies because you want to make sure it will not have adverse reaction with her current aed.    It sounds like she is a lucky baby because she has such an attentive mama; 15-20 minutes is a long time and scarey.  http://old.epilepsyfoundation.org/local/virginia/#.UtH6pmRDv7A is your state chapter for the Epilepsy Foundation.  They will likely have support groups and very well versed staff that help answer questions that may not be addressed in doctors appointments and they might be aware of services that would help with an infant that are in your area (maybe they have could refer you to a monitor system for sleeping).  

My ds did not start having seizures until he was older; we do not know an exact age (he was dx at 9 years, but dr felt he was having them since he was around 3), but many of his seizures happen in relation to sleep (during time of falling asleep or waking).  Epilepsy goes hand in hand with sleep disorders.  

#3 of 5 Old 01-12-2014, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your response. Those pages are super helpful! 

#4 of 5 Old 01-13-2014, 08:26 PM

I do not know if VA has legalized medical marijuana, but you might find this interesting in regards to more natural medication...  http://realmofcaringfoundation.org/  The majority of the kids that they have been able to help are kids with seizures especially ones that do not respond to other aeds.  Moving to CO has passed my mind in regards to ds, but his seizures seem to be under control right now.  

#5 of 5 Old 01-14-2014, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you I'll read that.  It has crossed my mind as well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page