IEP accomodations for Dyslexia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-27-2014, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would love to get your help regarding the whole IEP process for Dyslexia.

I am extremely overwhelmed right now and the best visual I can share is a person who is spinning a bunch of plates on sticks.  Know what I'm talking about? ;)  I am running between 7 kids, all with special needs.  Spinning plates before they crash.  I have a meeting in one week with a school who is resisting this process every step of the way.  I want to come to this meeting prepared and would love any support and advice I can get from those of you have been there before me :)

What accommodations have worked best for your kiddos with dyslexia? Thanks so much ahead of time!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Who dxed your dc?  With the dx, they should have included a number of recommendations.  Although there are many "standard" dyslexia accommodations, not all kids need them or find some helpful.  The person who did the testing should have found specific deficits and be able to recommend ideas for accommodating.  My ds has phonological dyslexia and dysgraphia, which would have different needs than someone with surface or spelling dyslexia.  

Also, there are some dyslexia resources that might be helpful Sally Shaywitz book Overcoming Dyslexia.  I have also been on the email list for http://www.ncld.org/ and they sometimes send out general recommendations.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Another vote for NCLD

User Tag List