Denial of child's delays- neglect? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 02-01-2014, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am not sure where to post this- this forum seemed the best place. 

I have a friend that I've known for a little over a year- her son was born in Oct 2010 and my son was born in Nov 2010. She shares custody of her son 50/50 with the father and they have almost zero communication. Since I first met her and her son, I felt something was "off" with her little boy- he resists being touched to the point of screaming if a child or adult touches him. Not all the time though. He is pretty affectionate with his mom but only in the last few months did he start kissing her. 

He doesn't make eye contact and tunes things out when he is playing. He LOVES to play with little figures like playmobil and when he is playing he doesn't respond to anything unless it's something like "Do you want chocolate milk??"

I have two brothers who are autistic so I did mention a lot of the things this little boy does might be signs of autism- the mother refuses to consider it. He does talk a little bit but nothing like any of the other three year olds I know- he can string two words together and mimic back works but doesn't actually converse. When I met them a year ago, even at two I noticed a vast difference between him and other kids his age (including my son)

The mom is multilingual and initially when I brought up her sons speech delays, she said it's because she speaks two languages to him and when he is with his dad or in school he hears English. Seemed plausable but having known them over a year, she actually speaks English to him almost entirely. The speech plus other issues (not allowing anyone to touch him, not looking in the eyes, constant tantrums, physical delays like not jumped) really have me concerned. 

This kid lives in two different homes, 3.5 days in each home and attends two different preschools (parents can't even agree on which school he should attend!) he also sees two seperate pediatric doctors.. 

The preschool he attends when he is at his moms house suggested mom have him evaluated and she was very "insulted" and refused- because if he does have delays he would need to get assistance from the public schools which she is againsts for some reason. 

I have reduced my contact with this little boy and his mom over this issue. He clearly needs some kind of help. If he wants a toy that another child is playing with, he will attack the child (literally choking or scratching) and go into tantrums that can last hours. He really seems to struggle with understanding simple concepts that it hurts to watch and know that if he was getting early intervention, his life could improve so much. 

Is this something I should consider reporting or should I mind my own business? I encouraged my friend to tell the doctor about his behaviors and speech issues but she didn't and the doctor said he seemed like a normal 3 year old at his check up-

I feel so bad for this little boy and I seriously avoid being around his mom because she is ignoring these issues he has!

#2 of 36 Old 02-02-2014, 11:27 AM

Sounds like he needs help, and you've brought it up with her, but there's really not much else you can do. The school is probably aware of the issue, since they see thousands of kids, they can usually spot one that seems "off" and may be working with him "off the record". As frustrating as it is to watch, unless she's abusing him, it's her call to seek help--or not.
#3 of 36 Old 02-02-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think it is very neglectful for her not to seek a diagnosis and help for his issues. A lot of good changes can happen with the right treatments and therapists, but only if some stuff is caught early. The earlier the better!

Would you be willing to make an anonymous call to the CPS folks in your area?
#4 of 36 Old 02-02-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

See, I was wondering if it would be considered neglect- she did infact take him to his 3 year check up but admitted to withholding information about his development. I have spent thousands of hours with this little boy- I used to watch him 1 day a week and I was very close to his mom. 

It is just so sad to see this little boy not getting to help that is so readily available. I have seen what early intervention can do- in fact my older son (now 6) was slightly delayed before the age of two, not making many sounds, etc- he spent 3 months in speech therapy and caught right up to his peers. So I know how beneficial it can be! 

I've encouraged her for a year to get him help and I've seen him fall further and further behind and develop new challenges:( 

#5 of 36 Old 02-02-2014, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)

I don't think that this would meet the definition of "child neglect."  It isn't great parenting, but to me, it does not sound like something that CPS is going to get all worked up over. This sort of thing is why they do kindergarten screenings -- to find the kids who are going to need extra help (or services) but have not been getting them so far.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#6 of 36 Old 02-02-2014, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

I don't know if it's officially considered neglect but I do consider it neglectful. This certainly isn't on the same level as starving a child or not providing a child warm clothes in winter, but this mother (possibly both parents) is ignoring this child's needs. I think that it can reach the point that CPS is involved, but I'm not sure what that point is.

My heart goes out to this child. It sounds like he has a very difficult life even without any developmental difficulties. Moving between two preschools like that is likely stressful and having parents who can't get along enough to agree on anything must be difficult. Add in the developmental delays and other problems and it must be even more difficult. I have no idea what you can do, but I believe that the school has ways of pushing parents to get a diagnosis if they feel it's necessary. As a PP mentioned, this should come up in the kindergarten screenings. It would be far better for him to get help as soon as possible, but getting help from kindergarten isn't bad.

I have empathy for parents facing this, I really do, it's hard. I'm sure there's a degree of feeling like a failure of a parent and that somehow it's your fault that this happened, and it's not easy to have a special needs child. It changes what you think parenting is going to be, has a huge impact on your life, and just isn't easy. Facing the reality can be incredibly painful and difficult, but sometimes being a parent means doing difficult and even painful things.

#7 of 36 Old 02-19-2014, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRocket View Post

See, I was wondering if it would be considered neglect- she did infact take him to his 3 year check up but admitted to withholding information about his development.

No, I don't think this would be considered an illegal level of neglect.  But the mom definitely has issues.  You see that behavior in people who have been abused and neglected by their own parents.  They have a deeply ingrained habit of hiding things from 'the authority'.  If they think there will be a negative consequence, they will lie, hide, and say whatever they think 'the authority' wants to hear. 

That's what my mom did when teachers or doctors suggested I might have a speech or communication problem.  "Oh, she talks all the time at home!"  No I didn't. 

sillysapling likes this.

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#8 of 36 Old 02-19-2014, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have... had a friend like this. Her daughter is a teenager now and has the emotional maturity of a 3yo. The parents have shielded her from receiving assistance and although they acknowledge she is different they refuse to apply a label and get her help. They have resigned themselves to the idea that she will never live independently. They are comfortable with their choice.

I've just sorry of stopped being friends with them. Not out of judgment but just out of sadness for their little girl.

There's nothing you can do about it. I'm sorry. greensad.gif
sillysapling likes this.

Bring back the old MDC
#9 of 36 Old 02-19-2014, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

The one thing you can do is encourage the mother to go to therapy for herself to work on her own issues.  Maybe you can help her find a good therapist.  She might hate you for it, but really, it's better to try than do nothing. 

sillysapling likes this.

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#10 of 36 Old 02-20-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

This woman has some diagnosed personality disorder- she admits she was originally diagnosed as narcissistic personality disorder but disagreed with the diagnosis- it was changed to something else but she sees a therapist weekly and really, really enjoys it. That's all I will say about that :) 

It just makes me so sad to see this little boy. I think he understands a lot but just doesn't know how to communicate and she does nothing to help him. She is allow of his delays, because she mentions to me that she wants her son to play with mine so he can catch up- but I tell her over and over that THAT is not what will help him. 

There are some other issues with this lady, not just neglecting his delays- she seems to never want to be alone with him- when she has him, she is outside looking for people to follow around to interact with or taking him to the zoo when he is vomiting- she says children should not be at home all day but I think it's just that she can't handle him. 

I mentioned these behaviors to a friend of mine who is a social worker and she said that if I reported this, it's unlikely that anything would come of it (Do I want something to "come of it" even? I am not sure) 

As I mentioned before, I have two brother who are autistic. Child and Family Services were involved in our lives for years and years- My parents won't admit that it helped but I can see that it did. It made them be ON TOP of things and also gave them resources- there was a cargiver who came to our home several times a week to entertain and interact with my brothers so my parents could get other things done. 

In the case of this little boy, I just don't know what COULD be done. His mother was evaluated per the court and given 50/50. I don't know anything about the father but have seen him once and he looks put together. 

#11 of 36 Old 03-09-2014, 10:49 AM

I really think you need to mind your own business on this. If you don't like the way she is parenting or think her kid is out of control then you don't need to be friends with them. Medical neglect is a seriously accusation that would indicate that she is denying her child of life saving medical treatment, which obviously isn't the case. If the child is autistic it will be detected at some point probably when he enters kindergarten. It might also just be bad parenting of a hyper active or sensitive child. Either way it's not your business to call an authority to advise them to take custody of the child, which is what you are doing when you call CPS. CPS is not for "check ins" and advise. You call them when you think a child is in serious danger.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#12 of 36 Old 03-12-2014, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I have spent many years working with CPS, and this is not medical neglect.  She takes him to a pediatrician (and so does his father), and the pediatrician, to your knowledge, has not made any recommendations.  CPS probably would not even look into the case since it is not coming from a healthcare provider or the preschool.  I would just let it go, it is possible that dad already has a diagnosis and there is work going on, but mom has nothing to do with it, or does not want to acknowledge it.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#13 of 36 Old 03-13-2014, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Before calling the CPS because you think you know better, read this thread, and many of its links. Calling the CPS  could easily do more harm to this family,  than not having a child evaluated at this time.

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1397976/cps-whistleblower-video/40#post_17585435

If there are real issues that need to be addressed, they are sure to surface as the child gets older and enters school. Then the school will press for an evaluation. I think at some point, the child will get services if he needs them.

The greater danger is misdiagnosis and over use of medication in my opinion. 

You sound like you know what you are talking about however, but that doesnt meani t is a lost cause that the mother isnt seeking an evaluation just yet.

It does sound like she is a bit whacky though. What about the husband and extended family? And im not sure why you choose not to be friends with this woman because she sees things differently from you. Have you explained to her that you choose to see her less because her son is inclined to hit (or other reasons you may have mentioned)? In her shoes, i would have appreciated honesty.

Anyway, good luck.  But please dont call the CPS! Do you really think their child should be taken from them and put in the foster system? Do you really think they deserve to be scrutinized for every little thing  for months  and have their names permanently on record even if they are found  not be  guilty of neglect? Lets hope she  washed the dishes the day you decide to make the call, put it that way.

EarthRootsStarSoul and tiqa like this.
#14 of 36 Old 03-13-2014, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

I definitely don't WANT to call CPS at all.. hence my post. I really don't think I brought up calling CPS at all. 

There have been instances of clear neglect that I've seen that I don't feel I need to go into, thing that I know CPS WOULD investigate for.. but I am sure they could find reasons to investigate ME, too. That is NOT at all what I am about. I just honestly don't know how to help these people and was curious IF her denying his delays,etc is indeed neglect.

I chose to stop socializing with her and her son for a number of reasons, her personality/mood shifts very intensely and quickly and her lack of boundries were probably the biggest reason. She waits around our building for people she knows or DOESN'T know and starts conversations in order to befriend them, then she will leave her child with them in their apartment "just to run and get something from the car" and not come back for an hour or more. She does this to EVERYONE she meets and does it often. She seems extremely overwhelmed with caring for her son, even though she has him 3.5 days per week and he is in preschool all of those days. 

She can be very pushy, knocking on my door and pushing her son in before I've even greeted them and it's impossible for her son to leave without a full-on hour long tantrum. He is a big boy for his age and you cannot pick him up easily when he is kicking, screaming and biting. She knows this is why I no longer allow them in our home- it's a major interuption to our limited family time. Even when he is having a good time, listening to music or looking at a book, he doesn't acknowledge anyone when they speak to him unless it's benefitual to him- like a snack or candy or something. I am sad for this boy, that is all. That was the point of my post. 

It is true that once this boy is in the public school system that he will be evaluated and all.. I have no intentions of calling CPS- even though I saw the benefit of their involvement in my family as a child, I know what can happen, too. I just wondered if it was considered neglect. IF it truly is/was, I would mention that to the mom and maybe it would let her see.

I also know that I would be truly offended if someone was saying something was "wrong" with my child- and perhaps in her culture (she is not American) there is a stigma about it but she is very aware of his delays and behavioral issues. It's a very common topic that SHE brings up and I explain the resources available and she declines to do anything which I understand is her business and I will and am/have been staying out of it :-) 

Thanks for all of your replies.

#15 of 36 Old 03-14-2014, 08:17 AM

it sounds like a difficult situation. I wish i could advise you better. Leaving a child with strangers on a regular basis  would set off my alarm bells. I wonder  if that too is a cultural thing...

#16 of 36 Old 03-23-2014, 05:21 PM

I agree that the school will deal with it.  If you don't wish to be friends with this lady, then by all means, that's your right.  But I don't think you have to lose any sleep over this child for the reasons you stated in your post.  You said there were other issues that you're not mentioning.  I don't know what those might be - but as it stands with what you wrote here, I don't think it's your call to make - no matter how well-intentioned you might be.

#17 of 36 Old 03-25-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRocket View Post

I definitely don't WANT to call CPS at all.. hence my post. I really don't think I brought up calling CPS at all. 

I think most posters are from the US, and we have a very "if something's wrong, report it to the authority's" idea here- as well as a deep mistrust of the authorities. There's the idea that if there's abuse (neglect is abuse), you have to report it to CPS- even though reporting things to CPS can cause things to go very wrong and in milder cases it can be better not to get them involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

it sounds like a difficult situation. I wish i could advise you better. Leaving a child with strangers on a regular basis  would set off my alarm bells. I wonder  if that too is a cultural thing...

I don't know for sure, but my mom would do similar and she was raised in the US- she has (at the time at least) undiagnosed/untreated mental health problems and was also overwhelmed with raising a child. Based on what the OP said, it may not be cultural but a result of her own issues.

This woman does sound like my mom in a lot of ways- in a way, that boy is fortunate his delays are so obvious. All of my problems went untreated my whole childhood because my mother refused to accept anything was wrong and I was "functional" enough to not fail school so no one cared about my problems. As an adult, I'm struggling to figure out how to actually function in the real world.

#18 of 36 Old 03-25-2014, 10:06 AM

I wish people wouldn't turn to cps as first resort. Not saying the op is, it's just the case that many people do. Even when it's obvious kids need some sort of intervention, cps IMO should be the last resort, or for truly significant cases. Not "maybe" cases. Talk to the doctor, talk to the teacher, the relatives, I don't know. Why involve the authorities unless it's a cut and dry abuse/neglect case... Just my opinion. :/
#19 of 36 Old 03-25-2014, 11:29 AM

It's a complicated situation. Sometimes abusers, when confronted, will deny it and make a point of hiding the abuse better while also taking out the feelings of fear on the child. If the situation appears to be due to ignorance or poverty, though, then you should really reach out to the person rather than involving CPS. Too many people don't know how bad it can go, though, and think CPS will help families only. :(

#20 of 36 Old 03-25-2014, 03:15 PM

Put yourself in their shoes.  Let's say that you don't want to vaccinate and your pediatrician and school are aware of that fact.  But another parent-friend feels that that's medical neglect, and struggles and struggles with their conscience and reports you.  CPS comes to your door and starts an investigation, with the presumption that if someone called on you there's a good reason for it.  You think it's ridiculous and brush it off, or else you get freaked out and defensive.  Either response triggers suspicion.  Your worker opens a case against you and goes through your house, your life, interviews your family and neighbors.  They all think, "hmm, maybe she's hiding something, CPS wouldn't be there for no reason."  These people are then in charge of deciding whether your kids get to stay your kids, or if they will yank them and give them to strangers who will vax them.  You feel violated, and you're at their mercy.

So yeah, "let's just call CPS to be on the safe side" gets NO votes of sympathy from me.

We heard of a case they opened because a neighbor called CPS because the baby was crying too much in the apartment.  (Teething and an ear infection.)  Another called because the child got sunburn while at the beach.  A third was called because the baby screamed when placed in the car seat.  Each had a case opened.  We heard this from a CPS worker herself, as examples of ridiculous calls that jam their case file loads.

So yeah.  "Be on the safe side," is not an innocent thing.

Now, the OP said there were other factors.  OK.  I get that.  But those weren't touched on in this thread...

EarthRootsStarSoul likes this.
#21 of 36 Old 03-26-2014, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I had no intention of calling CPS.. somehow people think that is what this thread is all about. I think the vaccination analogy is a good one.. because some people do argue that it's medical neglect. Luckily we're allow to opt out of vaccinations for now (Colorado is trying to change that) and I was seriously wondering if denying a child access to early intervention was a type of medical neglect.

I ran into her yesterday and she has removed her son from the preschool he attends when he's with her because they wanted him to attend speech and physical therapy and now her ex has filed an emergency motion for full custody based on that. Apparently he HAS been receiving speech therapy when he is with his dad but she feels it's unnecessary. This is the second time she's changed care providers because of this- so I think it's likely the court will rule in the father's favor, which would be better and more stable for the little boy but sad for the mom. 

Thanks everyone who has replied. It helped me put this into perspective- eventually he will get the help he needs, even if it isn't until kindergarten. I am glad to see that his dad is infact trying to help this little boy. 

tiqa and sillysapling like this.
#22 of 36 Old 03-26-2014, 08:26 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

For my YoungSon, with a very similar level of symptoms, Early Intervention was not the be-all, end-all, and diagnosis was not a major help. I declined all therapy (did try a couple times, but no practitioner I found matched our needs and our values). When the school wanted to put him in a specialized classroom, I withdrew him from school, and homeschooled. Radical unschooling, actually. And I consider my approach "untherapy". I am certain it could have looked like neglect, both medical and educational, to an outsider. We tried dietary changes (no impact at all, and I know we were 100% gluten-free, casein-free for 9 months), and many "proven" therapeutic approaches. Nothing changed for YoungSon behaviorally, but he was able to grow up without the impression that he was broken and needed to be fixed.

Today, at nearly 18, most of his "symptoms" have nearly gone away. He has good friends, dreams, and plans for his future. We are able to joke about his autism, and accommodate the remaining quirks. I attribute his success to letting his neurological development happen at its own pace. I can't say how independent he will ever be - I think he will always need a supportive partner. But his life is a huge success story.

This story was not meant as bragging. I work in the field of children's mental health, and rarely tell anyone just how far outside the mainstream our lives have been. My purpose here is two-fold: Please don't assume that just because a family isn't using structured therapy that is visible to an outsider that they don't care, are in denial, are neglectful. I could have been seen as any or all of those things, while the exact opposite was true. Second, if you really want to help this kid, the biggest need most parents of special needs kids have is for non-judgemental respite and support. I have worked with hundreds of families, and I have yet to meet one that did not want the best for their children. The threat of CPS would not be any kind of help.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#23 of 36 Old 03-26-2014, 09:18 AM

Mamarhu - your story brings tears to my eyes because it resembles our story so much,, but we're still in the thick of it (he's 7).  We are unschooling as well.  We tried EI with little result.  Your story gives me hope.

#24 of 36 Old 03-26-2014, 12:01 PM

Mamarhu, thanks for sharing this story. 

I  wanted to add that i found  EI a complete waste of time for my ds1 who was speech delayed, and at 8, is now found to have auditory processing disorder. Back then, not one therapist  clued me in to the existence of APD, or the possibilities of SPD (which my son also has) One even had the audacity to blame my breastfeeding my son (who was not yet 2) as one reason he might be speech delayed....and then told me i needed to have him on a more predictable nap schedule (because it was inconvenient for her, not because my son had any issues with sleep which he did not) Then i remember the stench of coffee on the breath of one of the therapists, which must have been  much worse for my poor ds whose sense of smell is much more sensitive than average ( i was  later to find out) If i complained about inadequacies,  i was always made to feel like the bad guy, and the bureaucracy of it all was enough to make anyone admit defeat.

Which i did.

And i kept far away from it with my ds2 who showed similar delays in speech, but today is thriving in school at age 5.

I will always remember how much time i wasted with these deficient therapists and monumental bureaucracies.

And do you know that ds1 to this day has to do handwriting in his OT, to make it 'relevant' to school? The OT is for sensory integration, but he is wasting time with handwriting.  (which he is excells at on his own) I tell them everytime, since you must do handwriting, keep it to a minimum, because it is a complete waste of time. I would like you to focus on the sensory

gym....

I'm grateful these therapies exist, but not convinced that they are effective, except if you get lucky.

#25 of 36 Old 03-26-2014, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

And do you know that ds1 to this day has to do handwriting in his OT, to make it 'relevant' to school? The OT is for sensory integration, but he is wasting time with handwriting.  (which he is excells at on his own) I tell them everytime, since you must do handwriting, keep it to a minimum, because it is a complete waste of time. I would like you to focus on the sensory

gym....

The purpose of therapies at school is to help the child access the general curriculum and school environment, it isn't to "fix" the child, which is a completely different goal. Because of this, school OT is mostly about handwriting, unless a child's sensory issues are such that they cannot function at school, and then accommodations are made (such as compression vest, ear phones, etc) but not therapy.

If you want therapy for sensory integration, you need to do that outside of the school system.

Ask to have your child released from school OT. They can do an addendum without doing a whole new IEP. Make the request in writing and copy his classroom teacher, the OT, and his special education advocate (if that is different from his classroom teacher).

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#26 of 36 Old 03-27-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

The purpose of therapies at school is to help the child access the general curriculum and school environment, it isn't to "fix" the child, which is a completely different goal. Because of this, school OT is mostly about handwriting, unless a child's sensory issues are such that they cannot function at school, and then accommodations are made (such as compression vest, ear phones, etc) but not therapy.

Thanks for your reply. (sorry to derail you thread OP). My childs sensory issues absolutely interfere with his functioning at school-he doesnt hear half of what is said, he  doesnt participate in group discussions, he has to be pulled out and taught one on one,  he gets tired and drained, and behaves in ways that alienate his peers..(but doesnt do this at other times).his APD and SPD are like  heavy chains around his  ankles that he has to pull around all day long.

The school environment is a challenge to someone with SPD. Because none of these challenges and behaviors are present at home.

The ear phones have been tried, and the vest is not appropriate for him.

Im not sure what i am supposed to do as a parent, but i certainly cant stand by and not try and help him. If OT can help, then so be it. And it is all about  his functioning in the school environment.  But the handwriting,... irrelevant.

The trouble is, the DOE does not recognize SPD or APD as special needs.

If you want therapy for sensory integration, you need to do that outside of the school system.

Does medicaid cover that?   I am considering a summer camp where there would be SI OT all week long, but havent had much luck in my research.

Ask to have your child released from school OT. They can do an addendum without doing a whole new IEP. Make the request in writing and copy his classroom teacher, the OT, and his special education advocate (if that is different from his classroom teacher).

If anything, my son needs more intervention. He has a SETTS provider for 30minutes a day, but the teacher said that he could benefit from more  time with the SETTS provider.

#27 of 36 Old 03-27-2014, 09:33 AM

Contactmaya, in my experience, OT isn't even covered by traditional insurance unless it is a very expensive plan.  Once, I had it covered for my son, for a short time, when my husband had a GREAT policy.  Then, insurance always fought me tooth and nail and always refused to pay. 

Even though SPD isn't recognized as an LD your school OT can serve as a consultant to the classroom teacher and if she isn't already ask that it be written into his IEP.  An IEP can specify the need for "movement breaks", sensory accomodations, like a quiet space to decompress, squishy balls for the hands to redirect energy, figet sensory seats to give sensory input, trampoline time for calming (jumping calms the sensory system) being the 1st in line or last in line when class lines up to prevent feeling overwhelmed or squashed etc.  In our experience, OT's and teachers can be just as frustrated that they cannot get more direct therapy provided in an IEP but his sensory needs can be adjusted for and planned into a traditional day in the classroom.  Of course, you have to figure out what works for him!  In our school, the OT will observe a child in the classroom, see where they have difficulty,  and then make recommendations to benefit his functioning. 

I can tell you feel that the rules set up road blocks to serve your child, and while on the one hand, you're not wrong, the professionals feel the road blocks too, and will try to work with you.  They may already be making adjustments to his routine and the way that they work with him during the day.   I forget how young your child is, but, when my son was in K, 1st and 2nd, he had no working diagnosis, just OT, speech and LC pull out's for reading.  A diagnosis at a young age isn't as important as "functioning" and learning....

Best wishes.

Linda on the move likes this.
#28 of 36 Old 03-27-2014, 08:20 PM

Does OT stand for occupational therapy? If so, in CT, I'm almost certain Husky (CT's version of medicaid) covers occupational therapy for kids. I don't know what they'll cover it for, though. I don't know about other states, but I'd look into it just in case.

#29 of 36 Old 03-28-2014, 04:06 AM

Sillysapling...that's just it.  OT for SPD in children is hardly every covered.  The OT specified in most insurance plans are for those suffering the effect of strokes and head injuries.

Contactmaya, just know the likelihood is low that it will be covered so don't get your hopes up.  :(

#30 of 36 Old 03-28-2014, 06:09 AM

Thanks for the advice.

Will an adhd diagnosis help, for what its worth?

Mamarhu, i was thinking, perhaps the fact that you work in special ed gave/gives you a unique advantage in dealing with your own child. Ie , you can administer the therapy in a reliable manner, or outsource it to those you trust. If so, it makes complete sense that you chose to do this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page