ISO more natural minded/biomedical autism/anxiety/depression resources - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-09-2014, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

dd13 was dx'd with high functioning autism a few days ago, we haven't even gotten the report yet but I guess things went poor enough with the testing they didn't even have to wait to tally up everything to know she was on the spectrum. I've suspected for years but our old state only paid for assessments in the 0-3 group which means they pretty much only catch classic or low functioning kids. As soon as I found out the current states Medicaid program covers it I started making calls and set up an assessment. I guess she had a really difficult time during the assessment and they are also concerned about her severe anxiety/depression and worry about something along the lines of schizophrenia. I've read enough about schizophrenia to be sure dd does not have it. She's not sleeping much which will make anyone a bit on the loopy side iykwim, her sensory issues have been on overdrive, I know some in part due to magnesium deficiency which we are addressing, she has a blood disorder which causes severe anxiety/depression due to severe vitamin deficiencies when not treated right but the tester refused to acknowledge it because vitamins haven't been proven to work yk?:eyesroll If she thinks dd is bad now, she should have seen her before we started treatment 2-3 years ago. THAT was a nightmare. I'm feeling really overwhelmed here and just not sure where to start. I need to know everything from school to supplements to, well, everything. The tester was really pushing medication and we have been down that road, its not something I want to do again.

dd has been GFCF (celiac with dairy allergy) all her life so already covered that, were moving to paleo on the off chance her body is mistaking grains/legumes as gluten like mine is(in my case is causing brain fog, massive inflammation and pain). Gluten is a known cause of schizophrenia so its worth a try. Although were on day 3 and I'm ready to rip heads off from sugar withdrawal... dd isn't so pleasant either..

Seriously?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-09-2014, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

http://www.walshinstitute.org/nutrient-power.html

"Over his impressive career, Dr. Walsh has worked with 30,000 patients with conditions ranging from autism to schizophrenia to Alzheimer's.  His book is an essential tool for anyone who would prefer to heal the brain with nutrients rather than drugs."  - Teri Arranga, editor-in-chief, Autism Science Digest

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#3 of 6 Old 02-09-2014, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

http://www.walshinstitute.org/nutrient-power.html

"Over his impressive career, Dr. Walsh has worked with 30,000 patients with conditions ranging from autism to schizophrenia to Alzheimer's.  His book is an essential tool for anyone who would prefer to heal the brain with nutrients rather than drugs."  - Teri Arranga, editor-in-chief, Autism Science Digest

I have that book actually, he just goes over a lot of case studies but doesn't give actual treatment info, really ticked me off because we spent a year waiting for the book and were told it would contain that info. It was great to read so much on Pyroluria which we deal with but I wanted treatment protocols.

Seriously?
#4 of 6 Old 02-10-2014, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Would you consider consulting a homeopath?  You have a VERY complex situation (no need to tell you that, I'm sure) so I can't compare my child to your's, but, he had a much milder form of autism, PDD-NOS, with attending anxiety and attention issues.  I addressed his situation with the help of Dr. Amy Yasko's work on metabolic pathways (I helped to open his detox pathway with B-12, gf/cf/soy free diet, chorella and cilantro for gentle clearing of metals, and lots of nutritional support in the form of garden of life's "perfect food" which he'd get in apple sauce every day.)  I also gave him amino acids periodically, enzymes and some gaba.  I also give him B6, B complex and various other things when needed.  For a period he need acetyl L carnitine, now, I give him a bit of tyrosine.....  It depends on how he presents.  I also just give him a little, for a short time. 

When you know how these supplements work you are often forging your own protocol and that's overwhelming for some.  I watch VERY carefully and am very coordinated with his school and pay close attention to his work. 

The homeopathic remedies came into play for us beyond constitutional treatment.  I think that Dr. Tinus Smits work is visionary.  He has created a system of "universal miasmic" care which can help clearings take place, and level emotions.  His Lac Maternum is a WONDERFUL remedy.  It was incredibly helpful to the whole family.  It helps your child and you feel that as they are growing and changing all this as it has been and is is "part of a larger plan" and we are very loved.  (Hope that's not too deep there :)  He also created the CEASE protocol which is isopathy, taking the offending substance needing detox and creating a homeopathic preparation through dillution and shaking, so that the original substance no longer can be detected but it's energetic imprint remains, and administering it to help the bodies own immune system clear it.  You support the detox with supplements but the remedy targets the specific detox and we found it to be just what he needed.  There may also be specific remedies to help your daughter's mood, ideation and thought process to help her remain stable without the use of pharmaceuticals as well.  A good visionary homeopath will be prepared to treat you as a "polypharmacy" patient, meaning, more than one remedy prescribed at a time.  If you need to use pharmaceuticals you can use remedies at the same time, and, often, you can use fewer at a lower dose.

My son was diagnosed "on the spectrum" three years ago but has now "fallen off the spectrum".  He still has variable attention whereby he finds it hard to sustain his attention over complicated many layered tasks, but, it doesn't rise to the level of a diagnosis of ADD>  He is an A and B student, he is nice, likeable but rather quirky :) and he is on no pharmaceuticals and never has been. 

I suggest you do your own research, which it sounds like you do, and if it's overwhelming and you have the money to dedicate, find some good people to help you.  I spent money on good quality supplements, food that fits with his dietary restrictions and on a homeopath.  I also bought, books, books and more books.  Some people use DAN doctors or naturopaths.  I found a good CEASE trained homeopath.  I would certainly recommend that with the adjunct of very GOOD supplements and a "detox" plan.  Dr. Amy Yasko's work is VERY complicated but she does have protocols.  Look her up on-line.

Blessings

#5 of 6 Old 02-10-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

I suggest you do your own research, which it sounds like you do, and if it's overwhelming and you have the money to dedicate, find some good people to help you.  I spent money on good quality supplements, food that fits with his dietary restrictions and on a homeopath.  I also bought, books, books and more books.  Some people use DAN doctors or naturopaths.  I found a good CEASE trained homeopath.  I would certainly recommend that with the adjunct of very GOOD supplements and a "detox" plan.  Dr. Amy Yasko's work is VERY complicated but she does have protocols.  Look her up on-line.

Blessings

I do do my own research, there just isn't a whole lot written on the topic and it is a complex subject, there are some new books out but the library doesn't have them and I haven't been able to afford them. We also deal with methylation issues, I am aware of Yasko's work but I can't afford the testing, I do plan on getting 23&me done though and it will help figure some supps out. The kids histamine is rock bottom on labs but clinically shes high. Due to the zinc levels she takes she's been chelating metals, thankfully the only high one she had was copper which is expected with Pyroluria, her levels were checked again last month and she's down to 16% free copper which is awesome! Thankfully its looking like a lot of overlap of what we have done over the years so were not horribly behind were another biomed kid might be iykwim.

Seriously?
#6 of 6 Old 02-10-2014, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You may be able to get enough good information about protocols from Dr. Yasko's website and message board.  I never got her testing for my son but I already knew he must have had the detox pathway blocked and followed her recommendations regarding jumpstarting the pathway. 

It sounds like the cost of a homeopath may be prohibitive, but, you can read tinus smits website which has very good information on CEASE and very detailed information on the universal miasms.  Helios in the UK sells isopathic remedies and the universal misams.  Remedies are literally 7 dollars a bottle and the bottle will last for years.  You can buy them on their website online.  If you can find a good practitioner somewhere close by it may be worth it to you.  Besides buying high quality food and supplements it the best money I ever spent on my son.

Good luck.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page