Where to get appropriate clothing and shoes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-28-2014, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is 11, is 5'1" tall, and weighs about 90 lbs.  She's developing physically into a teen girl.  However, her mental age is about 6 years old.  She's LD, OCD, and ADHD.

I'm trying to find age appropriate clothing for her, but it's hard with a lot of the clothing being sold these days. 

Also, I'm trying to find her shoes that are not sneakers.  She wants a pair of sandals.  She can't stand anything between her toes, needs support (no flip flop or open shoes).  When I find a pair I like, she says they are old lady shoes :blush   She wants the glittery kind or sparkle kind. 

For most of what's out on the market, she doesn't have the coordination to wear them.  She's best in either sneakers or crocs.

Any suggestions are welcomed. 

#2 of 7 Old 03-28-2014, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My daughter is 10 and likewise starting to develop but neither of us are ready for her to be wearing the sexualized clothing marketed to Tweens and teens these days. Hanna Anderssen is spendy, but really well made and child appropriate. I've also found better stuff at consignment shops than buying cheaper stuff first hand. Generally I think European brands are less sexualized for girls age.

Me treehugger.gif + DH reading.gif= DD faint.gif (1/2004) & DS babyf.gif (6/2013)
homeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#3 of 7 Old 03-28-2014, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)

Land's End? My DD is older and NT, but I think she would still have been okay with clothes from Land's End at the age of your DD. Most of her clothes came from Hanna Andersson, but I did find the larger sizes didn't fit a kid on the skinny side that well. 11 is a difficult age, they are neither one thing nor the other.

LTurtle likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 7 Old 03-28-2014, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Here are some ideas with decent necklines:

http://www.landsend.com/shop/girls/-/N-g0fZggk

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#5 of 7 Old 03-29-2014, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Check Keens for sandels - http://www.keenfootwear.com

They are pricey but pretty sturdy, with good support and have a closed toe.

Mirzam likes this.
#6 of 7 Old 03-29-2014, 02:33 PM

I was going to suggest Keens too. If you have a Hibbett's around you check for them there, I got my DS a pair of Keens for $9.97 today.

As far as clothes, what about the GAP. They have cute things but are kind of conservative and plain to me. Or, Ralph Lauren??
#7 of 7 Old 03-31-2014, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much.  I just placed an order with LLBean and Lands End :)

Mirzam likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page