Recommendations for media, TV, or movies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Linda on the move

#1 of 10 Old 05-26-2014, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! DS is 4, with ASD and SPD dx. We really limit him on media, because it does nothing for his social interactions with others. But we will be making a 20 hr road trip soon and need some media for him for entertainment!
Right now, he watches pretty tame stuff- on PBS we allow Dinosaur Train, Daniel Tiger, Magic Schoolbus. Movies he likes Dolphin Tale and Charlotte's Web.
No Disney, nothing with "bad" or mischievous behavior, as he is quick to imitate and sometimes scripts from TV/movies.
What do you allow your children to watch and can you recommend some shows/ movies we could try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-26-2014, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Try the pbs show nature, each is an hour long, and you can stream them from various sites.  Each is a facinating topic about animal behavior and a beautiful location.

#3 of 10 Old 05-26-2014, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Oh, we also love the magic tree house book series.  You can buy the books read by the author on CD, or get them on loan from the library.  They are about a brother and sister who travel back in time to points in history.  They are meant for Kind/1st and 2nd grade readers, but, my son loved them at 4. 

#4 of 10 Old 05-26-2014, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We really like Little Bear....very low key and calm....My 6 year old LOVES it...
#5 of 10 Old 05-27-2014, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Does he like music?  We got my DD her own set of kid-appropriate headphones and she loves listening to Raffi on the Ipod on long car trips. 

#6 of 10 Old 05-27-2014, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  All really great ideas!

I had completely forgotten about audio books, so I will be collecting some of those before we hit the road.... and definitely loading up the ipod with some kid music.   And Nature sounds great- I bet he will love that.  

#7 of 10 Old 05-27-2014, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)

We used to do super long road trips with my DD who is on the spectrum and has sensory issues. I would rotate a video, and then put on a children's music CD and give the kids something to do -- like color wonder markers. When the CD was over, the activity went away and they watched another video. If I gave them a whole bunch of things to do, then they just made a mess and didn't seem to enjoy any of it, but if I just gave them one thing at a time for a set time, they really enjoy it.

Depending on the weather, making stops where he can really get out and play can be helpful. Fast food play places never really worked for my DD because she would just get overwhelmed, but we could do rest stops and bring a ball and have a really good break.

QueenOfTheMeadow and mariee like this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#8 of 10 Old 05-28-2014, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

We have a few Little Bear books.... Mylie, did you mean books or audio?  Or are there Little Bear movies? 

#9 of 10 Old 05-28-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Movies...I have found 2 DVD with 8 episodes on each for $5 a piece at the Dollar Store....

I love Little Bear...
#10 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DS (same age) likes nonfiction videos. There's tons at the library you can check out. Also Scholastic videos of children's books are great.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page