Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By anj_rn
  • 1 Post By QueenOfTheMeadow

#1 of 7 Old 05-28-2014, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi - Im on Long Island. Our IEP meeting is coming up and I've heard that they are looking to declassify DS out of his Autism status.

Now he is doing very well in kindergarten in his integrated class. Reading way above level and doing above level in math and other subjects. But he still has the same social and functional issues as last year. So I don't see how anything has changed since they classified him.

They want to mainstream him next year and that is fine with me. But how would they know if he would do well in a typical setting without first having observed it? What if we need to go back to an integrated class? Also, he has a number of health issues and may need some more support in the upcoming years. He also has hypotonia and low muscle tone and fatigues easily.

Frankly, Im worried about this because I don't know if it's right for him at this time.  I remember last year and I get nervous thinking about it, because I had to fight to get him classified.

I looked on Wrightslaw, but Im not getting much in the way of declassification. Can I fight this?

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-28-2014, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Also wanted to add that I am leaning towards homeschooling him next year. In our state we still qualify for services, but maybe I should let them drop the classification?

#3 of 7 Old 05-28-2014, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You can formally request that he not be declassified until 6 months in a mainstream environment.  My DS is in mainstream classes, performs above grade level, but still needs some interventions.  You can agree to minimal interventions, but ask to continue his IEP as he will be moving into a different environment.  Even if you decide to homeschool, you are better off if you leave with the IEP in place, that way it has to be addressed when/if you come back.

QueenOfTheMeadow likes this.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#4 of 7 Old 05-29-2014, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Hi there anj_rn! How would I request that he not be declassified? Should I have it in writing? And do I bring it to the IEP meeting?

Also, do you know what effect being declassified would have on homeschooling? I think I'd still like to keep him classified even if we are homeschooling because there are more laws protecting him.

I'm looking back at everything I wrote in my original post and I'm wondering since he is doing so well in school, maybe I should just let this one go. There are plenty of children who are not doing as well.

So confused about what to do.

#5 of 7 Old 05-29-2014, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Also wanted to add that I did a little research last night and I came up with this:

-They cant only look at how he is doing academically. They have to look at functional and developmental. And all the issues that they first classified him for are still there. Except he is doing better socially (because of social group).

He still has weak muscle tone that causes him to fatigue easily. He still has core strength weakness.

In most recent OT review, she said that he has decreased stability for fine motor tasks, continues to fatigue and needs frequent rest periods. She also said that he needs to work on improving independence during classroom tool use. These were the same reasons they classified him last year.  She lists grasp, muscle tone, muscle strength, endurance, postural control all as weaknesses. These were reasons they classified him last year.

His progress report states that he is making less than anticipated progress maintaining a specific posture. He is making less than anticipated progress with grasping objects with a mature tripod grasp. He has not reached all of his goals. These were also reasons they classified last year.

The things he improved on are

-social

-organizational skills

- stimming

#6 of 7 Old 06-09-2014, 08:02 AM

I would resist the declassification. You can keep a pretty minimal IEP in place, You can probably have fewer goals, but keep accommodations and other supports in place. If nothing else this becomes important when discipline gets involved.
#7 of 7 Old 06-14-2014, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I've been through so many IEP meetings where I've walked in and they've recommended certain things, and I've said no, because of A, B, and C. Then they have said, "OK, we'll do it that way." So, first off, go in confident that you will get what you want. Have a clear concise laid out reason why you do not think that he should be declassified, and then stay firm.
mamarhu likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page