Talking to your children about their issues w/o making them feel bad - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-03-2014, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Talking to your children about their issues w/o making them feel bad

My oldest & youngest have the most things going on - ADD, OCD, sensory issues, food issues out the wazoo, likely methylation issues & more. My oldest has been going to OT for sensory issues. She's not into it at all. I told her the things they're giving us to do will help her to feel better - she says she's fine the way she is, she feels fine & is good enough. The younger one doesn't like to try anything new (which is understandable since I've always been so cautious & taught him to be cautious - he's almost 5). I'm trying to find vitamins & other supplements right now for the almost 5 yo to take after a urine test determined he's got a lot going on that B vitamin supps will hopefully help with, provided I can get them into him.

So, what ways have you all found to talk w/ your children about doing things to help their bodies without making them feel bad about them? Any/all suggestions welcome.

Many thanks,
Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#2 of 3 Old 06-08-2014, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just be honest

I'm pretty straight up with my boys. Between the two of them they have autism, ADHD, Tourette's, spd, OCD, anxiety, and learning disabilities. I tell them that yes, they have diagnoses and we have to do different things to help them but that doesn't change who they are, everyone has obstacles that they have to overcome and thank God we know where their weaknesses are, because some people never find out and can't work past them to be the best version of themselves they can be.
#3 of 3 Old 06-19-2014, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Helping make things "easier"

With our guys, we were pretty straight forward like Z&Z. We also let our boys know that therapies and programs were to help strengthen their abilities and to make things easier for them in the long run. We explained that everybody has things that are easy for them and other things that are difficult. If we can strengthen the difficult areas, then it just makes everything easier.

Therapy is usually difficult for a child, so it's understandable that they don't like it and don't want to go. It's difficult for them to see where the benefit is since they don't have as much awareness of long-term benefits.

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page