Drills for auditory processing disorder - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-18-2014, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Drills for auditory processing disorder

Hi, i have come across a number of books that have exercises to help address auditory processing disorder. I never knew such books existed, as all my online research led me to expensive earphone devices, and my 8yo's IEP never mentioned such a thing, and nor did any of his therapists.

These books can be quite costly, up to $60.

I would like to start working with my son/s using these books, but dont know where to start, and which would be the best to buy.

Has anyone been there done that?

Here's a few to begin with-

Train the Brain to Hear: Brain Training Techniques

to Treat Auditory Processing Disorders in Kids with

-Train the Brain to Hear: Brain Training Techniques

to Treat Auditory Processing Disorders in Kids with

ADD/ADHD, Low Spectrum Autism, and Auditory

Processing Disorders
(Jennifer L. Holland)

-Helping Children Overcome Learning Difficulties (Jerome Rosner)

-No-Glamour Listening Comprehension

(Linda Mulstay-Muratore)

-No-Glamour Auditory Processing

-No-Glamour Language & Reasoning
Linda Bowers

-Auditory Memory in Context Instructional

Workbook:For the Development of Attention,

Listening, Processing and Recall of Sentences and

( Addie Cusimano )

Thanks so much in advance for any helpful replies!

Last edited by contactmaya; 06-18-2014 at 01:44 PM.
#2 of 8 Old 06-18-2014, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Try asking on one of the CAPD/APD Facebook or Yahoo groups.
#3 of 8 Old 06-19-2014, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wink Working to Overcome Auditory Processing Disorder At Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post
Hi, i have come across a number of books that have exercises to help address auditory processing disorder. I never knew such books existed, as all my online research led me to expensive earphone devices, and my 8yo's IEP never mentioned such a thing, and nor did any of his therapists.

These books can be quite costly, up to $60.

I would like to start working with my son/s using these books, but dont know where to start, and which would be the best to buy.

Has anyone been there done that?
Thanks so much in advance for any helpful replies!
What would be the main outcome you're trying to accomplish with your at-home program? Phonemic awareness for reading? Reading comprehension (if your child already reads)? The ability to listen and process information?

Which program would be "best" will depend upon your child's unique learning needs and the skill you are trying to target. If you want to share more about your child's specific needs, it would help people make well-targeted recommendations.

We homeschooled to overcome LDs and had GREAT success with it. There is a lot you can do at home using specialty programs --both books and computer-based programs. It sure beats waiting for the school to help your child because, as you've experienced already, they often don't present solutions that can be viable for your child.
#4 of 8 Old 06-23-2014, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyslexiaparent View Post
What would be the main outcome you're trying to accomplish with your at-home program? Phonemic awareness for reading? Reading comprehension (if your child already reads)? The ability to listen and process information?

Excellent question. Certainly phonemic awareness when listening, and certainly the ability to listen and process information.

But it seems that 'auditory processing' comes in many different types. From what i can see, my son frequently mishears consonants. This isnt so bad one on one, but does occur. In a noisy setting such as a classroom, it is worsened.
Another issue is his general hearing in a noisy or sensorially busy environment such as a classroom.
A third issue is his ability to follow and retain complicated verbal information, which makes it hard for him to follow instructions.
He seems to have difficulty forming complex thoughts with words, but is getting better at it.

Interestingly, he is an excellent reader, and went from not reading to being the fastest and most competent reader in his class. I am not sure how much he comprehends or retains, this seems to be his weakness. But his visual decoding is in the superior range.

His speech pathologist at school told me (after i posted this) that he is performing very well in some of the drills that require processing and repeating verbal information. If so, then this is a recent phenomenon, that i want him to continue practising, so that he becomes more confident in the classroom setting.

Another complicating factor is that his working memory is in the superior range, with some aspects of it being in the very superior/off the charts range. I believe he can repeat information sometimes without understanding it, by using this memorization ability.

For the purpose of drills, i want him to work on his auditory processing in all of its forms. I think he gets plenty of opportunity to flex his visual muscles, and seems strong in that area (thanks to screens, and our visual culture).

Which program would be "best" will depend upon your child's unique learning needs and the skill you are trying to target. If you want to share more about your child's specific needs, it would help people make well-targeted recommendations.

We homeschooled to overcome LDs and had GREAT success with it. There is a lot you can do at home using specialty programs --both books and computer-based programs. It sure beats waiting for the school to help your child because, as you've experienced already, they often don't present solutions that can be viable for your child.

That is very encouraging. Thanks so much for you helpful post.
#5 of 8 Old 06-30-2014, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
Is apd and/or speech issues that use these resources really so rare? Any advice greatly appreciated
(my sons speech therapist dumped us now that school is over, and still hasnt replied with any advice that she promised to give....)
#6 of 8 Old 07-08-2014, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

The ability to listen and process information is the issue i am most concerned about... anyway, i ordered,

"Smart Moves' for some brain gym exercises, as well as
"Train, Brain, Hear"...i hope they are useful. I havent heard anything from this thread or from the speech therapist, so i guess its a matter of luck whether or not these books are useful. They appeared useful from the contents...

Grateful for any specific input.
#7 of 8 Old 07-10-2014, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post
The ability to listen and process information is the issue i am most concerned about... anyway, i ordered,

"Smart Moves' for some brain gym exercises, as well as
"Train, Brain, Hear"...i hope they are useful. I havent heard anything from this thread or from the speech therapist, so i guess its a matter of luck whether or not these books are useful. They appeared useful from the contents...

Grateful for any specific input.
Sorry, no experience... I came here to ask a similar question. This is my concern too. Mine is only 2 but I am getting really frustrated feeling like I'm talking to a wall. I hope you find some good resources that will help your son.
#8 of 8 Old 07-12-2014, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

I just received a couple of books in the mail. Ill report on how that goes. In the meantime, i am doing auditory exercises in the form of memorizing poetry to a beat, and learning about different subjects but using only spoken language(no writing), some rote memorization(my son is very good at that, it gives him confidence, and exercises his auditory processing)...thats just a few things offhand.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page