Limping getting worse, what could be causing it. Perthes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-19-2014, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Limping getting worse, what could be causing it. Perthes?

First a bit of back story, back in September DS started limping one evening after a busy day on an inflatable obstacle course. The next morning when he woke up he could not bear weight on his leg at all so off to A&E we went.

It didn't appear to be an injury, and the docs thought it may be a result of an infection. However as a precaution they got him back a week later for a X ray to rule out perthes disease.

The X ray seemed clear, so even though the hip was taking longer to clear than had been though it was improved and so was assumed to be irritable hip. We left with instructions to return to our GP if the problem continued.

While it did take quite a while for things to improve he was OK for a while, but has still complained here and there.

When the complaints increased, and we could see him limping we went back to the GP and have been referred back to the hospital.

However he's now getting much much worse, limping pretty much all the time. He has to sit out of PE at times and I've recently had to carry him home from school as he's not been able to walk that far. A few weeks back we took him to a playground and he was able to climb the equipment, this week he was really struggling.

Evenings are getting bad and it's keeping him awake at night 4 or 5 times a week now, especially after a busy day.

It's still just over a month till his hospital appointment and it's hard to watch him getting worse like this.

I'm wondering if even though Perthes was ruled out a few months ago it could still be that. Does anyone have any experience of it?

What else could be causing him to limp and how can I persuade a very lively 7 year old who's also got Autism and sensory processing issues to take it easy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2014, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
First off, hugs to you and your little guy. I don't know anything about Perthes but can say trying to get my kiddo (pdd, sensory, and adhd) to take it easy will never happen. Lol

I hope he gets some relief soon and the hospital has answers. Can you take him to the er in the mean time?

Me - 39 - mthfr c677t and multiple unknown caused m/c's
DH - 40 - old and cranky
DS - 6 - ASD and severe adhd
Old 06-22-2014, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

I do have it in the back of my mind to go to A&E if he gets much worse. The issue was that he found the waiting room so hard to deal with last time there was not much the docs could do once they actually saw him.

I do intend to ring the hospital this week party to ask exactly what to expect of the appointment so we can try and prepare him (I suspect we may need to do blood tests and Xrays but I'm not sure if they will be part of this appointment or not). I'll also let them know he's getting worse and that we are open to coming along if they get a cancellation.

Open to any sensory play ideas that will not stress his hip. We have some form our OT so I need to go back and read the report again. Our current set of activities are not really working right now.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:40 AM

Does he love water? Ds likes those water beads to the point I put some in the tub and let him have at it. You can put them in anything and he can sit and play in them. Plus it's portable and not messy...Unless he smushes them. Lol I hide Legos in a small plastic container and ds sits in the chair and plays.

Sticker books rule. Granted I have stickers ever where but it's portable. Portable DVD player? Got us through some long waits.

What's his likes/loves?

Hope he gets seen soon!!

DH - 40 - old and cranky
Old 06-24-2014, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Do you have a link for the water beads, I haven't come across those. We have a couple of trays for rice/shaving foam/moon sand sounds like they could be a change in there.

He loves play dough and modelling clay so we do lots of those, but again new ideas would be handy.

We have stickers everywhere too . I actually cut dino footprints out of sticky back plastic and stuck them in our hallway for his party. He liked them so much I didn't have the heart to take them up when it was over, thinking they'd not last long anyway. Err, nearly 3 years later we still have them. Turns out there are lots of running/hopping/jumping games you can play with them.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:25 AM

How is he doing?

Here's a link to walmart. You can google water beads to find other places that sell them. http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/FloraCr...Beads/17422641

Some ideas on how to play with them:
http://www.teachpreschool.org/2012/0...f-water-beads/

The Dino footprints sound so fun! I have no ideas for clay or play dough as he doesn't play with those. Also used to fill his little pool with water, not all the way, and had some food coloring and he'd color the pool water.

Food coloring and sand are fun. I stuck a white sheet on the ground and let him have at it with washable paint.

DH - 40 - old and cranky
Old 06-25-2014, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, they look fun and not something I've come across before.

Had a meeting this week with school and set up a health care plan for him. Something we were already intending to do to formalise some of the other issues. So he now has his medicine in school and the teachers and lunch staff should be a bit more aware of what's happening.

He asked for the medicine yesterday, which is a good sign as he's generally not able to tell his teachers things like that. It's all about us spotting it.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Argghh,Not a good day

DS came home delighted that he has been chosen for his favourite event at sports day. The 3 legged race. The one and only thing I said I absolutely did not want him to do.

We discussed it in the meeting on Monday, I have told one of his teachers and I thought the other class teacher as she was doing PE with them last week. Seems the message has not got to everyone.

User Tag List