Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By stormborn

#1 of 9 Old 06-20-2014, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Selling house -- this is HARD / ASD

Hi, we just listed our house on the market. I feel awful about how hard this is -- one adult with autism and one child with autism. I am the only NT in the family, and I work full time from home. I have to gather the kids up in the car, plus two dogs, on one hour's notice, and this is only day 1 and I am at the end of my rope.

It's hot here, and I do not have any friends nearby who don't have their own kids at home (we would be an intrusion).

Any ideas about where to go and what to do?

#2 of 9 Old 06-20-2014, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasuremapper View Post
Hi, we just listed our house on the market. I feel awful about how hard this is -- one adult with autism and one child with autism. I am the only NT in the family, and I work full time from home. I have to gather the kids up in the car, plus two dogs, on one hour's notice, and this is only day 1 and I am at the end of my rope.

It's hot here, and I do not have any friends nearby who don't have their own kids at home (we would be an intrusion).

Any ideas about where to go and what to do?

I'm so sorry. I've been there, dogs and heat and all, and I don't have any great suggestions. Part of the problem is that you can't take the kids someplace and leave the dogs in the car.

What about getting icy's in a drive thru and going to the park? What about having a bag packed and ready to go that includes a water dish and poppy bags for the dogs, plus a few things for kids?

The only good news is that if you are getting lots of showings, it means your house is priced appropriately and that you will get an offer.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#3 of 9 Old 06-20-2014, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Is there any kind of splash park where you live? Or a creek?
What does your son like to do?
#4 of 9 Old 06-20-2014, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Those are great ideas. Yes, I can't leave the dogs in the car. It's 90 degrees here in the shade. So movies, malls, etc. are out. Due to sensory issues, going to Lowes or Home Depot is out. We went to Petsmart this morning, and that was not a fun experience. We went to the movies this afternoon but had to take off work. It was still hard (though Maleficient was great, but pricey).

I called every respectable hotel in the city but they have no day rates. The ones with day rates appear to be geared towards adults seeking illicit trysts.

I will try to look at the bright side -- perhaps someone will put in an offer quickly.

Great idea about making a bag to take with us? Why didn't I think of that? I think because I was working so hard to force everyone out and make the house spic and span and still work full time. edited -- by force, I don't mean force -- :

BTW, I don't have a son, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited by Treasuremapper; 06-20-2014 at 08:49 PM.
#5 of 9 Old 06-20-2014, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Oops, I was thinking of another poster. Or more likely I'm severely undercaffinated this evening.

Ooo, is there a YMCA near you? You could maybe see if they would do a trial membership if that wouldn't be too load/chaotic. Ours isn't too crowded during the day even in the summer.
Treasuremapper likes this.

Last edited by stormborn; 06-20-2014 at 09:08 PM.
#6 of 9 Old 06-21-2014, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Do you have doggie day cares where you live? What about calling around professional sitters, explaining the situation, and seeing if they would watch the dogs at their place for short periods?

just brain storming....

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#7 of 9 Old 06-21-2014, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

I like the doggie day care idea. Oddly, no activity from buyers today though lots yesterday I thought weekends were the busy time. Our home is eerily clean (see the clean house thing by my avatar? That's not our reality, it was a positive affirmation that I put there hoping it would motivate me to clean... then I could not figure out how to delete it).
#8 of 9 Old 06-22-2014, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Are there any teens who might do some dog walking for you? Wondering if having a couple of people you could call on who might be able to pop round and take the dogs out for 1/2 hour or so would open more options for you with the children.

Do pack the bag, when we were selling the house I kept a change of clothes, juice boxes, cereal bars etc in the the car for short notice viewings. We found after the first couple for days it was predictable that people would either want to view in their lunch hour, or on the way home from work, we didn't get as many weekend viewings as I thought either. It was an utter pain in terms of the kids meal times and having snacks handy made a big difference.

We spent a lot of time in the local library, or even listening to audio books or me reading to them in the car.
#9 of 9 Old 06-22-2014, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingHyena View Post
Are there any teens who might do some dog walking for you? Wondering if having a couple of people you could call on who might be able to pop round and take the dogs out for 1/2 hour or so would open more options for you with the children.

Do pack the bag, when we were selling the house I kept a change of clothes, juice boxes, cereal bars etc in the the car for short notice viewings. We found after the first couple for days it was predictable that people would either want to view in their lunch hour, or on the way home from work, we didn't get as many weekend viewings as I thought either. It was an utter pain in terms of the kids meal times and having snacks handy made a big difference.

We spent a lot of time in the local library, or even listening to audio books or me reading to them in the car.
Actually, there is a teen girl just a couple of blocks away who advertises that she walks dogs! That would open up a whole world of possibilities for us -- I think it's the dogs pushing me over the edge, since we have to stay in the car and I always worry about carbon dioxide if we sit in one place with the car running, plus the waste of gasoline. It's in the 90s though, so I cannot turn the engine off or the temperatures will soar.

Thank you, that's a great solution.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page