new to APD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-23-2014, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
new to APD

Hi there,
I'm new to this whole world of auditory processing disorder. My eldest aged 5 is getting diagnosed with this. It makes perfect sense. He's also gifted.

What have you discovered about this disorder and what have you done to help your family and your LO?

Loving wife to DH  mama to DS1 3/13/09 , DS2 4/20/11   and DS3 1/12/13 Professional and attempting to  while     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 06-24-2014, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
My DD has auditory processing challenges as part of being on the autism spectrum. She is also gifted, but we didn't know she was gifted until she was 13 because she couldn't comply with testing well enough for them to be able to measure her IQ before then.

One of my favorite books is "Quirky Kids," which talks about a variety of issues related to a variety of related conditions.
Amazon Amazon

It's like needing to translate everything into another language. We used visual schedules for things like morning and evening routine, with pictures she could look at to know what to do next.

What sort of specific problems is your son having? What kind of day to day challenges do you need help with?

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#3 of 4 Old 06-24-2014, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I'm surprised your audiologist will diagnose so early. Most won't until the child is 7 or 8. But, there are some wonderful Facebook and Yahoo APD and CAPD groups. My son was diagnosed at 8 1/2 and I've learned a ton there.
#4 of 4 Old 06-27-2014, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post
I'm surprised your audiologist will diagnose so early. Most won't until the child is 7 or 8. But, there are some wonderful Facebook and Yahoo APD and CAPD groups. My son was diagnosed at 8 1/2 and I've learned a ton there.
The CAPD tests are normed starting at age 7 years 0 months. I am curious to know how was your five year old was evaluated.

~Patti~ rainbow1284.gifMomma to three girls and three boys chicken3.gif, First mother to one girl triadadopt.jpg

Certified, card carrying member of the IEP Binder Clubkid.gif  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page