Does anyone know... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-11-2014, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anyone know...

...how long it takes to get into therapy or whatever after an initial appointment with an OT through public school? I found out I can get an OT through the Tuscurora Intermediate Unit (seems to be connected with the local public school) at no cost without a referral from my son's dr so that's what I'm attempting to do. They took my name and number on Monday and said they would call me. This is Friday and they haven't called yet so I called them (I am very concerned about my son and want advice, possibly help). I was told that everybody is heading out the door for a summer break and they won't be back until Aug. 4! Are they just going to give me the runaround and some hope but not any advice or help from an expert, at least not for many months? Would I get advice and help sooner if I got a referral from my son's dr and got therapy elsewhere? Sorry to ask on here since I don't really know if my son is special needs (I think he may have sensory issues) but I thought someone here might be able to answer my questions. Thanks!

Last edited by mrstovar; 07-11-2014 at 11:11 AM.
#2 of 3 Old 07-11-2014, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstovar View Post
...how long it takes to get into therapy or whatever after an initial appointment with an OT through public school? ... Sorry to ask on here since I don't really know if my son is special needs (I think he may have sensory issues) but I thought someone here might be able to answer my questions. Thanks!
it's summer break -- so school services aren't happening.

(kids who were recieving services last school year *may* receive extended services if it is deemed that they would loose skills over the summer)

but no students start getting services this time of year, and most students who were getting services last year don't get them over the summer.

Aug 4 is 3 weeks away, not many months. They aren't giving you the run around, and I suggest being polite to the people you speak to on the phone. It will work out best for your child in the long run if you have a reputation for being reasonable. People are more likely to believe what you say about your child if you have a reputation for being reasonable and not prone to exaggeration.

School OT is generally not for sensory issues, it focuses on developing skills needed for school success, that is to say, fine motor.

This is the right forum for your question. We are the moms who've worked both the school systems and the private systems! Welcome to the board. My DD has intense sensory issues as part of being on the autism spectrum. At times, it's been the most difficult part.

I recommend pursing both private OT and school services, because they have completely different focus. Follow both paths and see what happens.

How long it takes to start services depends on zillion of factors. It can take months, or it can go really fast. Your experience will be what it is. I've waited very different amounts of time for different things. Three weeks is nothing. And even once it starts, it's not like some one wave a magic wand and makes everything better. This is a process, just taking steps on a journey.

There are really good books you can read, and they can help your figure out what you can do at home to help your child. "The Out of Sync Child" by Kranowitz was like my bible when my DD was young, and it helped me figure out a sensory diet that really worked for her. "Quirky Kids: When to worry and when NOT to worry" always felt like a reassuring hug from a friend.

Also, how old is your son? Has he had any sort of evaluation, ever? Why do you suspect sensory issues? Tell us more about him.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#3 of 3 Old 07-12-2014, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thank you for your reply. Don't worry, I've very polite to the folks I've been have the seeking help from, only voicing my concerns here. Billy just turned 4, has never been evaluated before. People kept telling me he will grow out of it. I'm most concerned that Billy be able to have friends, keep up with his peers (not make wrong turns, etc), protect himself, and be a part of the group (prioritize the teachers voice, sit, stand or walk nicely next to other children without crowding, bumping, slapping, etc., able to follow the rules of a game) Also a concern is his issues with tastes and textures masking it hard for him to eat (though this has improved) and he doesn't feed himself very well; I often need to help him. Would help if he held still but he is in constant motion. He can't write or draw. Also his problems pottying. And other things. I'll try to post more when I have more time, hopefully.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page