Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By flowmom

#1 of 8 Old 07-21-2014, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Daughter with ADHD can't go to sleep

This is a Ritalin-independent thing. Seems no different from before she took it, or day she does not take it: she just has a hard time settling down. She (7) and her brother (6) share bunk beds, and he's no star sleeper either. We have a wind down routine of books, then singing and stories. Often backrubs. But she gets this tired silly impulsivity and just can't be still or quiet. Really not sure what to do. Want to teach her how to settle down so that she can peacefully slow her mind and enjoy bedtime. I'm a horrible choice to be teaching anyone how to do that, having had insomnia nearly all my life. Any suggestions?
#2 of 8 Old 07-22-2014, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitia View Post
This is a Ritalin-independent thing. Seems no different from before she took it, or day she does not take it: she just has a hard time settling down. She (7) and her brother (6) share bunk beds, and he's no star sleeper either. We have a wind down routine of books, then singing and stories. Often backrubs. But she gets this tired silly impulsivity and just can't be still or quiet. Really not sure what to do. Want to teach her how to settle down so that she can peacefully slow her mind and enjoy bedtime. I'm a horrible choice to be teaching anyone how to do that, having had insomnia nearly all my life. Any suggestions?
You both could take magnesium citrate in supplement form. Often people with insomnia or migraines are deficient, in fact, many people are deficient and are not yet suffering signs of deficiency. It will help both of you relax, fall off to sleep and sleep more deeply.
#3 of 8 Old 07-22-2014, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanks, that's something I never heard before.
#4 of 8 Old 07-22-2014, 08:19 PM

We give our 5yo daughter the homeopathic Calms Forte.
We don't give it to her every night, because we don't want her to equate an easier sleep with a pill, but we do give it for nights when she is particularly wound up. Our child's issues at bedtime are obsessive thoughts and tics, but I've heard that Calms Forte works in situations like yours too. We also use magnesium.
We also make sure that our DD gets LOTS of physical play (we were at the park for three hours this afternoon) during the day so that she truly is physically tired come bedtime, even if her brain won't stop.
No screen time right before bed.
As well (and I'm pretty sure that it goes without saying), make sure that you have absolutely no refined sugar, processed foods, chemicals or dyes being ingested in the hours leading up to bedtime.
Good luck, mama.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#5 of 8 Old 08-08-2014, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I give my son ADHD son 0.5 mg of melatonin at night. It's a tiny dose and it really helps him. We toughed it out without it for years, but since he can't seem to sleep in I just really feel it's important to help him get to sleep (which he also wants).

I have learned recently that vit D3 along with all of the cofactors (incl magnesium) can be used to improve sleep so we'll be trying that.
Pocu likes this.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#6 of 8 Old 08-25-2014, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think that melatonin can be a very positive benefit to kids who are unable to ‘turn their brain off’ if you want to put it like that. However, one thing I am not entirely sure of is whether it is habit forming or whether they believe that you can just keep taking it.
#7 of 8 Old 08-27-2014, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My son has Autism, got diagnosed April and we started Melatonin ( 4 mg) that very next night. I will never go back without it. He can't shut his brain and body off even if he is dead tired. We fought every night for 4 yrs. It depends upon how severe is her need. In our case, our dev ped suggested the dose. We never went looking for anything on our own...thought its just they way life is

babyboy.gifborn on April 3 '10namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.giffamilybed1.gifread.gifgd.gif

#8 of 8 Old 08-30-2014, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have adult adhd, melatonin is MAGICAL. the only sleep aid i have ever used that didn't leave me hung over the next morning.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page