disconnected kids by melillo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-05-2014, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
disconnected kids by melillo

Has anyone read Disconnected Kids by Robert Melillo? Have you tried any of the stuff he recommends?

It's pretty involved... he gives you a whole bunch of assessments you do and then (i think, cause i haven't gotten past the assessment part) exercises you do based on them... I'm reading it, and in my head I keep thinking he's a snake oil salesman... like its too good to be true, yanno? (he has a whole bunch of "centers" you can go to and pay $$$$$ for whats in his book... he writes that he doesn't want people to NOT use his ideas because of cost, and that's why he's writing it so all can have access to treatment)

Thoughts????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytownmama View Post
Has anyone read Disconnected Kids by Robert Melillo? Have you tried any of the stuff he recommends?

It's pretty involved... he gives you a whole bunch of assessments you do and then (i think, cause i haven't gotten past the assessment part) exercises you do based on them... I'm reading it, and in my head I keep thinking he's a snake oil salesman... like its too good to be true, yanno? (he has a whole bunch of "centers" you can go to and pay $$$$$ for whats in his book... he writes that he doesn't want people to NOT use his ideas because of cost, and that's why he's writing it so all can have access to treatment)

Thoughts????
I am skeptical. This author's affiliated with the Brain Balance Center. Not evidence-based and lots of parent complaints online.

Where are you looking to see improvement? Maybe we can suggest some better sources.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We've gone to see drs for years due to tics ds9 has... and its always been "some kids do this, no reason for it, wait and see" kind of thing. This last visit, beahvioural developmental ped said on autism spectrum, high functioning. I could care less about the tics, am more concerned about the tantrums he throws when frustrated (so we've always gone to appts when suggested we go as in - we're here because of this, but i need help with that)...

No health care professional - psychological, neurological, or physical has EVER given me a concrete answer as to what to do when he tantrums... they only talk about prevention of the tantrum, which is great... but I still don't know what to do when he does it... (and not learning math EVER is not really a good option for preventing tantrums -- its math he can do in his head, but he doesn't want to do it on paper, showing steps)

We've previously homeschooled, so it didnt really matter one way or the other (not that it was fun or good..)... but this year he's going to public school... and he needs to be able to control himself frustrated or not. (I drag him upstairs to his room and set him up with one of his books on cd... an hour later, he comes out...picks up/puts back everything he threw/knocked over/etc... and we carry on with our day... we talk about it later -- what we can do when we're frustrated etc... but its been YEARS of having that conversation and it hasn't clicked yet...

User Tag List