Medicine Q for child with ADD and anxiety - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 08-18-2014, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Medicine Q for child with ADD and anxiety

I'm new to this forum and had a question. I have an 8 year old dd with ADD and generalized anxiety. We are seeing a psychiatrist to manage medicine for ADD/Anxiety. We started with the anxiety and tried a course of Zoloft, then Prozac. At the low dose, neither one worked. No effect. Then at next dose, she got side effects: increased social anxiety, increased attention problems, more aggressive behavior. We then tried to focus on the ADD. My DD can't take a stimulant with the anxiety, plus she already has eating issues so appetite suppression was a concern. Only class of ADD meds she can take are a swallowed pill. She has many sensory issues so she needs a liquid. Doctor wanted to try Strattera, but she couldn't swallow a pill.So they decided to try something else for anxiety - Abilify. She doesn't have a mood disorder or bipolar - just anxiety. No impact on anxiety at low dose but after 3 months, she gained 10 pounds and she's starting to grow breast tissue. She's gaining about 3 lbs a week. Any thought on where to go from here. Dr. was not concerned about weight gain and wanted to keep pushing the dose, but I felt we were trading one problem for another. Don't want to get into metabolic changes that can't be reversed.We could still try a course of Lexapro, but she's tried 2 SSRIs and gotten side effects. Very confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-18-2014, 10:13 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
A "formulating pharmacy" should be able to make any medication into a liquid form.

Another direction some doctors try is blood pressure lowering meds like propranolol for anxiety. It sounds like your doc is quite experienced with children's psych med management, so I would guess that there is a reason that has been ruled out. But it tends to have minimal side effects, so it might be worth considering.

Is your child receiving therapy other than the medication? DBT can be very helpful with anxiety, and there are programs for children.
#3 of 6 Old 08-25-2014, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Not all meds can be made into a liquid (called compounding). Many ADHD and Anxiety meds are time release meds and can not be compounded. What you can do is look up your local compounding pharmacy and call and ask the pharmacist what ADHD and anxiety meds they are able to compound. We have had meds compounded for DD for years. i will warn you that it is more expensive to get compounded meds, and insurance does not always cover all of it, but it works well for us.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#4 of 6 Old 01-30-2015, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtail View Post
I'm new to this forum and had a question. I have an 8 year old dd with ADD and generalized anxiety. We are seeing a psychiatrist to manage medicine for ADD/Anxiety. We started with the anxiety and tried a course of Zoloft, then Prozac. At the low dose, neither one worked. No effect. Then at next dose, she got side effects: increased social anxiety, increased attention problems, more aggressive behavior. We then tried to focus on the ADD. My DD can't take a stimulant with the anxiety, plus she already has eating issues so appetite suppression was a concern. Only class of ADD meds she can take are a swallowed pill. She has many sensory issues so she needs a liquid. Doctor wanted to try Strattera, but she couldn't swallow a pill.So they decided to try something else for anxiety - Abilify. She doesn't have a mood disorder or bipolar - just anxiety. No impact on anxiety at low dose but after 3 months, she gained 10 pounds and she's starting to grow breast tissue. She's gaining about 3 lbs a week. Any thought on where to go from here. Dr. was not concerned about weight gain and wanted to keep pushing the dose, but I felt we were trading one problem for another. Don't want to get into metabolic changes that can't be reversed.We could still try a course of Lexapro, but she's tried 2 SSRIs and gotten side effects. Very confused.
My daughter was dxd with anxiety and ADD, Neurofeedback turned everything around for her an no side effects. I highly recommend trying that specifically NeurOptimal as that kind is non invasive so you can do no harm and there are no side effects. After neurofeedback most of the issues were gone permanently, it gave her her life back and it gave me my daughter back.
#5 of 6 Old 01-31-2015, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi. I can tell you that I have had a good results for my son with a combination of a low-dose of Prozac combined with Intuniv (a non-stimulant) also at a low dose. He cannot take the "regular"dose of anything or else too many side effects. But this combination works well. The time release pill can be crushed and swallowed with a spoonful of yogurt. Just my 2 cents!
#6 of 6 Old 01-31-2015, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
This sounds so much like my 7 year old son, anxiety, ADHD diagnosis, and not responding to any of the meds. They made him more anxious and he turned into a screaming mess. He lost a dangerous amount of weight and was sleeping 5 hours a night, and all they wanted to do was push more pills into him. Finally we said enough, took him of all meds and took him to a Homeopath. He's now on a remedy called Thuja which has worked wonders. Instead of daily meltdowns we have 1 or 2 per month. His anxiety is still there a little, but the Pediatrician no longer thinks meds are necessary to control it. He's doing well in school and it now participating in about 85% of activities. He's not too scared to go to music class anymore due to his sensory issues. He's also on a high grade fish oil DHA suppliment, but it's the Thuja that really turned him around. It was like magic for us.

I'm not sure if that's a route you're interested in exploring. It was our last ditch effort to get him some help, and we weren't even sure we believed in homeopathy, but it's worked absolute wonders.

I wish you luck on this journey and hope your lovely girl gets the peace she needs.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page