Mothering Forum banner

Sensory issues, weighted compression vest vs plain compression or weighted vest.

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Linda on the move 
#1 ·
Any thoughts on which is better for a sensory seeker? A weighted compression vest vs a plain compression or weighted vest? My little sensory seeker is driving us insane, she needs a lot of heavy work to keep her calm. I can easily and cheaply make a weighted vest but I'm wondering if its worth it to just shell out the money for a premade weighted compression vest. She's been discharged from the OT center for home maintenance so I can't just ask the OT if we can try various ones there.

#2 ·
I like a compression vest without weights because you can just put it on and leave it on. Weighted vest usually need to be used for set amounts of time, which means it is another thing to keep track of.

How old is she? My DD did best with lots of swimming. I had her in swimming year round when she was little because it was so helpful for her.

#4 ·
I was looking around to see what they cost on line, and I found one for American girl dolls.
http://pressure-vest.com/pressurevest_004.htm

I want this!!!

sorry, I got sidetracked.

If you sew, why not make a compression vest? They are pretty simple -- the have velco at the shoulders and sides so they can be made super tight. They are made of stretchy but firm fabric (they kinda remind me of a thick Spanx). I think the trick would be to make it well enough so that it could be very tight on your daughter and hold up.

What else do you have going on for her for her sensory diet? I always found winter the hardest. My DD did best with lots of outside play, and it was tough to get her enough appropriate sensory input every day when it was cold outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.