Mothering Forum banner

WTF Thread

705 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  FreeButterfly70 
#1 ·
I need to vent and thought others might as well!

WTF #1 My mother, a retired special education teacher, said to me, about my 11 month old, "I was worried that he might have Down Syndrome because he's so happy all the time". My WTF reaction- People with Down Syndrome experience a range of emotions just like anyone else. My son has no Down Syndrome features and his trisomy 21 test was negative. Maybe he's happy because all his needs are met. Maybe he's happy because that's part of his personality. He isn't happy when he's sick or has bumped his head. My son is not an unusually happy baby. What the hell! She's a retired special ed teacher how the hell could she say something so ignorant!

WTF #2 This is still about comments from my mom. Did I mention that she was a special ed teacher. We were discussing my adult sister, I said "Sister has special needs and she's doing great. She's a totally functional adult, married, running a business, and raising a child". I was trying to make the point that special needs didn't mean all gloom and doom. My mother replies, "Your sister doesn't have special needs"! I say, "Didn't she have an IEP"? My mom answers, "Yes, but just for ADD and Learning Disabilities". :irked

WTF #3 A pattern is developing here, conversations with my mom! I say, "Sister is dyslexic but she has done really well using technology to make up for any deficits". My mother says, "She's not dyslexic, she just had a learning disability in reading. Phonics were hard for her. Dyslexics see letters backwards". OMFG - You taught special ed for thirty years! What in the hell did you do to those kids!

See less See more
#2 ·
OMG! I hate to say it, but I kinda enjoy other people having crazy extended families because it makes me feel better about mine. These are old comments and I've discussed them here before, but for the new people:

My mother, on being told that my DD has been diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum, "I don't believe it. She isn't one of THOSE people."

My sister, speaking directly to my DD who has autism about why the rest of the extended family takes vacations together and our family isn't invited, "I so wish that you are different than you are. It would be so much more fun for the rest of us." (She used to teach 3rd grade).

#4 ·
OMG! I hate to say it, but I kinda enjoy other people having crazy extended families because it makes me feel better about mine.
YES! :yeah Just what I needed!

Got a good one today from an acquaintance that I saw in the library. I hadn't seen her since last summer so she was asking about DS1 and how he was doing. I described just for a minute about a few of the challenges we have lately been dealing with. She asked told me that must be very difficult and how did I feel about it?

Umm, really? I said he he cries in pain when even walking and your asking me how I feel about it? It is oh so joyous every day in my house of course. :eyesroll
WTF! :frown:

#3 ·
Got a good one today from an acquaintance that I saw in the library. I hadn't seen her since last summer so she was asking about DS1 and how he was doing. I described just for a minute about a few of the challenges we have lately been dealing with. She asked told me that must be very difficult and how did I feel about it?

Umm, really? I said he he cries in pain when even walking and your asking me how I feel about it? It is oh so joyous every day in my house of course. :eyesroll

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.