Post your childs diagnosis!! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 737 Old 08-17-2006, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just joined the mothering sote, and it is nice to see that there is someplace to come to talk about special needs.

My one known special needs child is my middle child (dd) who just turned 5yo! She was *finally* diagnosed with SID (sensory itigration dysfunction) about six months ago after a lot of fighting with Dh/MIL/pedi that there was something wrong. On Dh's part he was worried more so that there would be the automatic need to "drug her up" and we both agreed that we didn't exactly agree with that in most cases.

We worked with a occupational therapist until her 5th birthday, when the OT had to stop due to funding issues, and she is *suppost* to continue to get help fro the local schools even though we are home schooling but we have been told by the schools that they will be turning what has worked so far (very well might I add) on it's head. I'me desperately searching for a local or semi-local private OT who works with children just in case the way the schools want to do things backfires like I fear it will.

In the meantime I still strongly suspect that there is more then just SID going on with Dd since she shows some of the signs I've read about for aspergers. In the meantime we keep going with what works for the worst of the problems and see what happends.

I am starting to suspect that my oldest (ds) is dyslexic, and I am watching to see if Dd shows any signs.

So far my littlest (dd also) doesn't show any signs of problems.

-Unity.
#302 of 737 Old 08-21-2006, 01:31 AM

Hi,

My son is 19 months old. His name is Christian. At 6 months, the Drs thought that he had a hip dysplasia. He was found to have a tight left abductor muscle. Then Christian did not sit up right away. He finally sat up for the 1st time at 9 months. We thought he had CP or MD.

At 12 months, Christian would not respond to his name. He had little speech. At 14 months, he stopped speaking. At 15 months, he stopped eating, nursing or drinking at all. He was diagnosed with Failure to thrive, hypotonia, an oral aversion to food, GERD, Global developmental delay and sensory issues. He has been hospitalized 7 times and had many many ER visits since April 2006. He had a NG tube placed on 4/26. He had a G tube placed on 6/2/06. He did not tolerate feeds this way and a G-J tube had to be placed on 7/21/06. He was diagnosed with a expressive language disorder and dyspraxia in June. He was seen by 2 Developmental Peds who do not feel he is Autistic at this time. He has seen a Neurologist, had an MRI and EEG. He has seen a Psychologist and a Geneticist. He had Genetic testing done last week.

Hopefully we will find out what Christian has. If not, we will continue to treat his symptoms.

Take care!

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

#303 of 737 Old 08-21-2006, 04:49 PM

My beautiful little girl has CP. She has been walking for the past 4months now and is progressing rapidly with PT and OT. She takes aquatic therapy once a week and is becoming a little fish. She is amzaing in every way and smart as can be. She talks from sun up to sun down. Emma is my angel and not a day goes by that I don't learn something from my sweet little girl. She is the most determined little person I know. The initial diagnosis of CP when she was 8months old made me so scared and I cried and bought all kinds of books etc. I now see my little girl and CP does not define who she is it's just a part of her like her curly hair or green eyes. She has to work a little harder on some things than a "typical" child. All we want is for her is to reach her fullest potential whatever that may be. It does get crazy driving to her therapies and doing all the at home "therapy" with her and I do get tired but it is worth it to see her climbing, "running" and jumping along side of her brother. My only fear is the ignorance of others. The looks people give her when they see her little ankle braces (magic boots) or notice her limp. I would like to shield her from any pain she will experience from ignorant, cruel people who might tease or make fun of her. I know that all I can do for both of my children is teach them, love them and provide security so they can be strong in the face of any adversity. I feel blessed to have been entrusted by the universe to be Momma to my angel girl (and boy) they make my life so very special.

to all you Mommies out there
#304 of 737 Old 08-22-2006, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaMommie
well my son does the walking the tippy toes i just let him wear his fav shoes most of the day and it kinda stops it for that day..I think long as he's not doing the humming noise and saying some words its not that bad, just you hate it when people look at your child like he is something out of this world
About the walking on tip toes, I don't know the reason for it, but I do know that many kids on the autism spectrum and with sensory issues do this.

My son was diagnosed with mild PDD-NOS at the age of 5. He also has some sensory issues, but that's gotten a lot better. He's been in OT for 2 years and at our recent yearly re-eval, we found that he's doing great and pretty on target. We'll do some activities at home, but he no longer needs regular OT appts! Yea!

He does need some PT though for coordination and muscle strength. His feet are pronated and he needs orthotics to wear inside his shoes. I hope they are comfortable for him! We'll get them in a few weeks.

We still deal with anxiety, but not as much as when he was in public school (we homeschool now because of his school anxiety and sensitivity to noise.) The auditory sensitivity has been the hardest to deal with because we can't find a therapy for it and other kids are really noisy! : I guess it's a good thing he's an only child, because babies crying make him mad.

Our developmental pediatrician said that most kids on the autism spectrum eventually need medication for anxiety. I'm going to see how much homeschooling helps with the anxiety before I consider meds at such a young age. Most of his anxiety last year was school and school peers-related. I'm hoping being homeschooled will really help. But if it doesn't lower his overall anxiety, I will consider medication. I don't want him to be miserable.

Thanks for letting me think out loud!
#305 of 737 Old 08-22-2006, 04:55 AM

I'm new to the site, but I have 3 kids, all of which have special needs, oddly enough revolving around food...

My 6 yr old has PKU

My adopted/half brother is diagnosed as failure to thrive, (16mo, 14lbs, 1oz, and only 24 inches long) My step mom did tons of drugs when she was pregnant and DFACS finally removed him when he was about 5 weeks old and had to hospitalize him for sever malnutrition and dehydration and withdrawls. He is developmentally and size wise about 5 mos.

And I have a 4 mo old, who has an undiagnosed problem. He eats and eats and eats, and is loosing weight. It takes a TON of calories a day to maintain his weight.

Steph
#306 of 737 Old 08-31-2006, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamlindsay
I have 4 botys and one has downs syndrome. He is now 13 and is such a blessing! His name is Matthew (Gift from God).

Sincerely,
Pam Lindsay
pam my name is sonya and sept 2 2005 we had little jarred...he was in nicu for 3 weeks and at that point we were told he has down sydrome...infant stim say he is high functioning...i'm new to this site and have been trying to find a support group and there is nothing here in salina ks were we are from...i would love to here from you to see how things were for you as matthew started growing...hope to here from you soon

im also a mother to a 18 yr old boy and a 6 yr old girl
#307 of 737 Old 09-03-2006, 12:57 PM

My daughter has Lipomyelomeningocele and tethered spinal cord. She has had two surgerys (three if you include the PIC line surgery) this summer.

She also has a Neurogenic bladder and possible bowel problems (we won't know for sure till she is learning the potty).

She just got her first AFO for her left foot/ankle.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#308 of 737 Old 09-04-2006, 02:21 PM

Checking in. My 8 year old was dx'd 1.5 years ago with Tourette Syndrome and OCD.
#309 of 737 Old 09-04-2006, 02:27 PM

devi, my twins were dx'd with TS. i would love to connect wiht you to discuss helpful measures. they alos have OCD and SID.

Pm me anytime!
#310 of 737 Old 09-04-2006, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't updated in a long while...

My Daughter is doing well. Currently, her seizures are her only real concern. She's still tube fed and very delayed but making progress. She's thriving so much since starting Prek.

My other daughter (6) is in the process... looking for a diagnosis. Her diagnosis today is psychotic disorder NOS but they are thinking possible schizophrenia. She's starting anti psychotics Tuesday. I'd love to know anything about Resperadol, Serequel and Zyprexa that you can share.
#311 of 737 Old 09-04-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmarty
devi, my twins were dx'd with TS. i would love to connect wiht you to discuss helpful measures. they alos have OCD and SID.

Pm me anytime!
Perhaps we can start our own group here? I too would love to share. We are really doing well here, but I'm preparing for "waxing tics" with school beginning tomorrow. I'm sure my dd has some issues with SID too, we're going to have some formal testing done this January.
#312 of 737 Old 09-04-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my~hearts~light
I haven't updated in a long while...

My Daughter is doing well. Currently, her seizures are her only real concern. She's still tube fed and very delayed but making progress. She's thriving so much since starting Prek.

My other daughter (6) is in the process... looking for a diagnosis. Her diagnosis today is psychotic disorder NOS but they are thinking possible schizophrenia. She's starting anti psychotics Tuesday. I'd love to know anything about Resperadol, Serequel and Zyprexa that you can share.
Forgive my ignorance, my mother is "psychotic" as well but I'm confused as to what they look for in children?

My mum is a Bipolar/schizoid combo. She is fine (for the most part) when she takes her lithium, and she has taken Resperadol I believe and didn't care for the side effects. I do know that anti-psychotics in general can have considerable side effects and I'd probably get a second opinion before doing anything?

Best wishes, this must be very difficult for you.

PS
Does your daughter hallucinate?
#313 of 737 Old 09-05-2006, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

No, she has a lot of intrusive thoughts and hears a voice sometimes. She realizes that she's the only one who can hear it and says that it consistently only says horrible violent things. So, that sucks. We're considering Abilify and Serequel. I'll post after her appt tomorrow.
#314 of 737 Old 09-05-2006, 01:55 AM

Quote:
No, she has a lot of intrusive thoughts and hears a voice sometimes. She realizes that she's the only one who can hear it and says that it consistently only says horrible violent things. So, that sucks. We're considering Abilify and Serequel. I'll post after her appt tomorrow.
The only thing I'd be mindful of is that kids sometimes describe their thoughts as voices. In fact, I am reading a book on Childhood Anxiety by Aureen P Wagner, she claims that many kids with anxiety/ocd are misdiagnosed because of their description "voices in my head." My child described her OCD this way to school personel and they ASSUMED that she was hearing voices when she in fact, was not. She was experiencing intrusive thoughts and perhaps hearing kids in the hallway. *shrug* Perhaps you've considered this? But, I asked my child to clarify if it was a voice that she could hear in her ears or just in her head. If it's not in her ears, it doesn't sound like she's hearing voices in the classic schizo sense, KWIM?

I think one thing that's interesting is that your daughter knows others can't hear her voices. When my mother was psychotic, she would ask "did you hear that?" Or, after a time she would simply assume that we did hear what she was hearing. She also spoke to people who weren't present and spoke to the television thinking it was communicating with her.

As I said, my child has intrusive thoughts that say horrible things also, but she's not schizophrenic, she has OCD and does not have rituals in the classic sense so it was confusing until her tics became apparent and the neurologist diagnosed her with TS/OCD.

I know you know your child better than anyone else, but I hope you'll consider a second opinion before medicating under the circumstances? Ask the dr. to consider anxiety and the fact that her "voices" may be thoughts?

If your child has anxiety/ocd there are vitamins techniques that are proven helpful and I'd be glad to share more.

Here is some info on OCD:

http://www.worrywisekids.org/anxiety/ocd.html

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)

Brief description:

OCD is a neurobiological condition which is characterized by obsessions-- repetitive unwanted thoughts, ideas or images typically about harm (contamination, death of a loved one, violent or sexual thoughts) that intrude in the mind and won't let up and compulsions-repetitive behaviors (washing hands, counting, tapping, checking) to try to ward off perceived risk and harm. Unlike everyday worries, obsessions are experienced as disturbing, bizarre, senseless and counter to the child's sense of himself (a devout child has thoughts about cursing at God; a loving child pictures stabbing his parents) and evoke dread, guilt, and discomfort.

* To my understanding the compulsions often show up later on which makes OCD hard to spot in kids sometimes?

Also, you may be interested in this:

http://www.schizophrenia.com/treatments.htm#epa

Best wishes to you, please keep us posted.

~ Devi
#315 of 737 Old 09-05-2006, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

I've thought alot about it. I'm not sure. What your saying sounds like what I thought too.

She says she hears a mans voice, a whisper. She thought it was someone in her room hiding for a while. She says it kind of sounds like my brother but kind of sounds like an evil wizard. Kids..
I told her that we couldn't hear it and she said she thought she knew that but wasn't sure. I may ask her about the ears thing. I didn't know that. BTW< she seems to differentiate between the thoughts and the voice acknowledging that one is her mind and the other is someone Else's thoughts/voice. She's very smart for her age so I'm not sure what to make of that. We're heading out in a few hours. Thanks for the info.

My DH has OCD so that would be more likely IMO but the Doc thinks otherwise.
#316 of 737 Old 09-05-2006, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I've thought alot about it. I'm not sure. What your saying sounds like what I thought too.

She says she hears a mans voice, a whisper. She thought it was someone in her room hiding for a while. She says it kind of sounds like my brother but kind of sounds like an evil wizard. Kids..
I told her that we couldn't hear it and she said she thought she knew that but wasn't sure. I may ask her about the ears thing. I didn't know that. BTW< she seems to differentiate between the thoughts and the voice acknowledging that one is her mind and the other is someone Else's thoughts/voice. She's very smart for her age so I'm not sure what to make of that. We're heading out in a few hours. Thanks for the info.

My DH has OCD so that would be more likely IMO but the Doc thinks otherwise.
This may be of interest to you:

CHILDREN who hear voices or chat to an imaginary friend are not a cause for concern. They could be more imaginative, creative and socially able than those who don’t.

Because “hearing voices” is an indicator of serious mental illnesses in adults, parents are often alarmed if their children show signs of hearing things or people who aren’t there.

Some psychiatrists have reinforced this idea, arguing that hallucinations in childhood could be a warning sign of future mental health problems.

Now research by psychologists is suggesting that susceptibility to such hallucinatory experiences may be a normal feature of the mental world of many young children.

Personally, I'd hold off on those meds?

Here's the rest of the article:

http://www.sundayherald.com/44539

This article was of comfort to me when I was unsure.

I think if it's "normal" for kids to have imaginary friends, kids with OCD might have not so nice ones. Especially given your husband has OCD?

I don't know your child, but I know what my mother was like, and she went deeper and deeper into her own world without meds. She lost touch with reality - completely. Antipsychotics can have such serious side effects and I think the docs should be very cautious.

Again, best wishes. This must be very difficult for you and I don't want to overwhelm.

I'm thinking of you and yours today.
#317 of 737 Old 09-05-2006, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we're back. We talked about it and decided to start her on Zoloft to treat the OCD. I'm sure she has OCD, I'm just not sure if that's all there is to it. I don't know if I mentioned it or not but this isn't imaginary friend type stuff. This voice only tells her bad things. Mostly about hurting other people seriously. It really scares her and makes her feel awful.

So, we go back in 3 weeks to see if it's helping and if the voice is still around, we're starting a low dose of Abilify as well. Thanks!
#318 of 737 Old 09-05-2006, 05:26 PM

Wishing you the best of luck m~h~l. It's so hard to see our kids hurting like that.

And your doc probably told you this, but I just wanted to make sure that you know that antidepressants, in some people, can make the original symptoms worse, or set off new ones. And then in some people, they work fabulously. So I know you'll already be watching her carefully and I'm totally not trying to be an alarmist. Meds absolutely have their place (and we use them here). I just felt the need to mention it because it's what happened to me once upon a time. (soooo anxious and irritable, when those were the very things we were trying to fix)

I'm thinking of both of you.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#319 of 737 Old 09-05-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Well, we're back. We talked about it and decided to start her on Zoloft to treat the OCD. I'm sure she has OCD, I'm just not sure if that's all there is to it. I don't know if I mentioned it or not but this isn't imaginary friend type stuff. This voice only tells her bad things. Mostly about hurting other people seriously. It really scares her and makes her feel awful.

So, we go back in 3 weeks to see if it's helping and if the voice is still around, we're starting a low dose of Abilify as well. Thanks!
Good luck.

For reference ds was on Resperadol briefly, we didn't like it at all and pulled him off it after a few months. It made him more violent so the doc upped the dose and then all he did was sleep. He was on it for a different reason though. My bil is on seraquel and it really helps him, he has OCD.
#320 of 737 Old 09-05-2006, 06:25 PM

Quote:

I know it's not as simple as an imaginary friend, so sorry if I came across as not understanding. However, what struck me was the portion where the article states that kids hearing voices is "normal?" So, if a kid with OCD hears a voice, it's likely that voice will tell them they'll harm people and other awful things. It just seems to me that medicating a small child with an anti-psychotics is so extreme when she is too young to tell for sure what her issue is? Then again, if she's suffering daily for a large portion of the day, that may require extreme intervention.

Here is a discussion about a kid with OCD who has thoughts about causing his mothers death in a violent manner:
http://www.latitudes.org/forums/inde...showtopic=1728

Intersting that I just stumbled upon that? However, the people at latitudes are anti-med and I know there are times where meds ARE necessary.

My guess is you just want her to feel better asap, and that's understandable.

Anyhow, if you're interested in natural ways to assist with the OCD, I'd be glad to try to make recommendations. There are some great books and cheap effective vitamins available if the meds don't work out.

Also, here is some info on Abilify and the possible side effects as your original questions pertained to this:

http://bipolar.about.com/cs/sfx/a/sfx_abilify.htm
http://www.drugs.com/abilify.html

Here is some info on Zoloft:
http://www.drugs.com/Zoloft/index.html

Also here is an OCD support group where people might have helpful info:
http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=8

Not trying to sound like Tom Cruise on an anti-drug tirade and as I've said, I wish you all the best. You know your child better than anyone else, and if you're comfortable with your doctor and their recommendations that's great.

You must be going through such a difficult time and any decision must feel overwhelming right now.

You have my compassion and support for what it's worth.

Thanks for sharing, I hope your family and especially your little girl find peace soon.

Devi
#321 of 737 Old 09-05-2006, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the links Devi. She's on a pretty good set of supplements already. She swallows pills pretty well so that helps. We use Micheals kids multi and she takes an EFA blend, C, GSE, B complex, probiotic and a few other things as needed. She's not a good eater AT ALL so I try to keep her on the supps always.

POL, thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind. Abilify seems to work similarly but without as many side effects. I hope we don't need to use an antipsychotic but I can't see trying to treat a thought disorder without meds. From what i've read, it can take nearly a year to see results. That's just cruel when you've got a 6 year old dealing with these thoughts, imo. So, we'll see. I'm hoping that she feels an amazing difference with the zoloft and that's all she ever needs to feel normal and happy.
#322 of 737 Old 09-05-2006, 11:45 PM

I have OCD (since childhood) and I'm bipolar (since adolescence). I've had both the very disturbing thoughts of OCD and before I was correctly diagnosed and treated for bipolar, I had auditory hallucinations. The two were very different. I was thinking as I read through the posts, that a young child might not be able to explain the difference between the mean thoughts and a voice saying mean things, if they both come from inside her head. Does that make sense?
#323 of 737 Old 09-06-2006, 12:34 AM

Well, I just posted in someones thread, so thought I would officially add our diagnoses here. I am interested in learning more about families with bipolar children. Mental illness runs in our family, but still came as a bit of a shock that our 11yo probably is bipolar.

Anyway, here are all our diagnoses:
16yo: Asthma, allergies, possible PCOS, irritable bowel syndrome, ADD
11yo: severe anxiety disorder/separation disorder, probably bipolar, sensory integration disorder, ADHD,OCD, asthma, allergies, speech therapy, occupational therapy
7yo: asthma, allergies, ADD, speech therapy
4yo: severe sensory integration disorder, probably ADHD, speech therapy, feeding issues
1yo: Probably one of my 'best' babies, but a handful as a new toddler!!! Possible torticollis and will need PT 1-2X week.
Me: Hashimotos Thyroiditis, restless legs syndrome, ADD, asthma, fibromyalgia, migraines
#324 of 737 Old 09-06-2006, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the links Devi. She's on a pretty good set of supplements already. She swallows pills pretty well so that helps. We use Micheals kids multi and she takes an EFA blend, C, GSE, B complex, probiotic and a few other things as needed. She's not a good eater AT ALL so I try to keep her on the supps always.

OL, thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind. Abilify seems to work similarly but without as many side effects. I hope we don't need to use an antipsychotic but I can't see trying to treat a thought disorder without meds. From what i've read, it can take nearly a year to see results. That's just cruel when you've got a 6 year old dealing with these thoughts, imo. So, we'll see. I'm hoping that she feels an amazing difference with the zoloft and that's all she ever needs to feel normal and happy.
A year?! Oh goodness! I can't imagine.

For what it's worth, the B vitamin we give our dd is called "Inositol." I'm going to post some info for future reference and for others who may be interested:

I hope that your dd finds relief soon. Please keep us posted.

My thoughts/prayers are with you and yours,

Devi
#325 of 737 Old 09-06-2006, 02:29 PM

My child has had help from her OCD symptoms from CBT and smallish doses of Inositol. The inositol seems to take the edge off so that we can work on OCD with "CBT." My child is 8 years old and takes about 1gm daily in power form. It's very inexpensive and mixes beautifully with juice or milk.

Editing to add - Good/inexpensive source of vitamins: http://www.puritan.com/pages/file.as...&CPID=670&np=1

Here is some basic information:

INOSITOL - After several discussions with one of the psychiatrists at my clinic, we looked into its safety and possible interactions with other drugs. It appeared that most people took in an average of about 1 gram of inositol each day in their diets. We discovered that apart from some harmless digestive tract side effects, it appeared to be quite tolerable, and would not interact harmfully with any of the SSRIs our patients were taking for their OCD. At about the same time, (September, 1996) a double-blind placebo-controlled study on the use of high doses of inositol was published in the American Journal of Psychiatry. Dr. Mendel Fux and colleagues in Israel conducted the study. Although it was only a small study involving thirteen individuals, inositol was found to have a significant effect upon the symptoms of OCD. It was shown to work as well and as quickly as the SSRIs Prozac and Luvox. The patients in this study had either not been able to find relief via standard medications, or were unable to tolerate medication side effects. Dosages in the study were gradually built up to 18 grams per day.

The article proved to be the convincer for us. We had a number of OCD patients, who were only getting partial relief from prescription antidepressants, so we decided to suggest the possibility of their trying inositol as an augmenting agent, in addition to what they were already taking. I should mention here that our clinic is a rather busy treatment center, and unfortunately, not really geared toward conducting research, so we really didn't collect any data on this. I know my learned colleagues will shake their heads at this, and they would be right. In any case, we started to see some positive results among some of those who tried it. In most cases, these results ranged from at least mild to moderate relief of symptoms. A few reported even more improvement. We have generally built up our adult patients over a six-week period, starting with 1 teaspoon (2gms) twice per day, and going as high as 3 teaspoons, three times per day. It turned out that not everyone required the full 18 grams used in the Fux study. One person was seen to improve on just 2 grams daily.

Since that time, we have also seen some positive results child cases as well. I have also received some positive e-mails and phone calls from O-C around the country who have heard of inositol, and tried it. Although it was probably not as precise as we would have liked, we based our children's doses on body weight, figuring roughly that a 40-lb. child could tolerate a maximum dose of up to 6gms. of inositol per day.

... I find this especially encouraging ...

Inositol is a water-soluble vitamin, so although the doses appear to be large, it will not build up to toxic levels in the body. Whatever the body doesn't use is excreted. The average person normally takes in about 1 gram of inositol each day via the food they eat. There are no reports of any harm associated with the long-term use of inositol. Some of our patients have been taking it as long as eight years now, with no problems.

http://www.homestead.com/westsuffolk...l_and_OCD.html

*General note that Inositol can't be taken with lithium as it will block it's effectiveness.* Also, bi-polar/manic people could see an increase in symptoms and as such should avoid inositol.

Tamar Chansky - a world leader in the treatement of OCD in children, also recommends Inositol, so I kind of feel like I've got doctor recommendation.

She also has nutritional recommendations (scroll down for vitamin recommendations)

http://www.worrywisekids.org/newslet..._05_print.html

Here is some info on HOW it works:

Myo-inositol is metabolized to phosphatidylinositol, which makes up a small, but very significant, component of cell membranes. Phosphatidylinositol can be converted to phosphatidylinositol-4,5-bisphosphate, a key intermediate in biological signaling. Phosphatidylinositol-4,5-bisphosphate is the precursor of at least three second-messenger molecules. These are inositol-1,4,5-triphosphate, which modifies intracellular calcium levels, diacylglycerol, which regulates some members of the protein kinase C family, and phosphatidylinositol-3,4,5-triphosphate, which is involved in signal transduction.

Some of the second-messenger activity is related to activation of serotonin receptors. It is hypothesized that the mechanism of action of myo-inositol's possible benefit in the management of depression, panic attacks and obsessive-compulsive behavior may be explained by myo-inositol's role as a second-messenger precursor.

INDICATIONS AND USAGE

Myo-inositol has exhibited positive effects in a number of studies related to depression, panic attacks and obsessive-compulsive disorder. On the other hand, it generally has not been effective in treating Alzheimer's disease, autism, schizophrenia and electroconvulsive therapy-induced memory impairment. The suggestion, from animal studies, that myo-inositol might be helpful in preventing neural tube defects has not been tested in humans.[/i]

http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/n...myo_0145.shtml

Since many antidepressants are effective in panic disorder, twenty-one patients with panic disorder with or without agoraphobia completed a double-blind, placebo-controlled, four week, random-assignment crossover treatment trial of inositol 12 g per day. Frequency and severity of panic attacks and severity of agoraphobia declined significantly with inositol compared to placebo. Side-effects were minimal. Since serotonin re-uptake inhibitors benefit obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) and inositol is reported to reverse desensitization of serotonin receptors, thirteen patients with OCD completed a double-blind controlled crossover trial of 18 g inositol or placebo for six weeks each. Inositol significantly reduced scores of OCD symptoms compared with placebo.

http://www.biopsychiatry.com/inositol.htm

I admit to being comforted by the fact that many in the "medical" community also embrace Inositol as an effective treatement in OCD. However Inositol is not a catch all cure for other issues. Inositol can exacerbate symptoms of various conditions.

I feel that this information is important to share for reference if nothing else? I also know that many who participate on Mothering.com are interested in alternatives to pharmaceuticas, so I'm posting for the average mothering reader.

Best wishes to all.

Devi
#326 of 737 Old 09-06-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcutie
I have OCD (since childhood) and I'm bipolar (since adolescence). I've had both the very disturbing thoughts of OCD and before I was correctly diagnosed and treated for bipolar, I had auditory hallucinations. The two were very different. I was thinking as I read through the posts, that a young child might not be able to explain the difference between the mean thoughts and a voice saying mean things, if they both come from inside her head. Does that make sense?
Makes sense to me.

When you did have auditory hallucinations did it sound like you were "hearing" the voices or were they in your head? My bp mom said she heard the voices as though she were being spoken to. She was also delusional to the point of not being communicative or functional. She did not know the voices were "disturbing" perse as she didn't have the ability to judge them. She believed outrageous things like "they're putting people in our food supply." And, "I'm the reincarnation of Joan of Arc." :P

She is schizoaffective which is kind of a bipolar/schizophrenic combo. If she avoids marijuana and takes her lithium she's generally A-ok today, though she'll never be totally functional.
#327 of 737 Old 09-06-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devi
When you did have auditory hallucinations did it sound like you were "hearing" the voices or were they in your head?
Well, I've had both types of auditory hallucinations. I've "heard" music late at night and I couldn't find the source. It bothered me so much (and I couldn't go to sleep with this music "on") that I was asking my husband over and over, "Don't you hear that?! Come on, are you sure you don't hear anything? Open the window and see if you hear something." That definitely sounded like it was real and I was hearing it (not just in my head.) (He never heard it, by the way.)

The voice I heard was inside my head. It wasn't at all like I thought I should turn around because someone else was speaking to me. It was as if the voice reverberated inside my head. It was almost a slightly echo-y sound. And for me, what the voice said wasn't upsetting. But, I did think they were messages from my angels. :

I've been diagnosed and stable on meds since 2002.
#328 of 737 Old 09-07-2006, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcutie
Well, I've had both types of auditory hallucinations. I've "heard" music late at night and I couldn't find the source. It bothered me so much (and I couldn't go to sleep with this music "on") that I was asking my husband over and over, "Don't you hear that?! Come on, are you sure you don't hear anything? Open the window and see if you hear something." That definitely sounded like it was real and I was hearing it (not just in my head.) (He never heard it, by the way.)

The voice I heard was inside my head. It wasn't at all like I thought I should turn around because someone else was speaking to me. It was as if the voice reverberated inside my head. It was almost a slightly echo-y sound. And for me, what the voice said wasn't upsetting. But, I did think they were messages from my angels. :

I've been diagnosed and stable on meds since 2002.
That's so interesting. It's good your voices were "nice." I'm glad to hear your meds are helpful as well. It's facinating to me to think how far mental health treatment has come in recent decades. :

Thanks for sharing,

Devi
#329 of 737 Old 09-12-2006, 03:33 AM

Hello. I am new to this so i am kinda unsure on what to write so i will just keep it basic... See my son has Neurofibromotosis<NF>! I am not sure what exactly it is all i know is that it is a tumor disase that also has to do with cafe'la spot. I am only 21 and i have no idea what i have to look forward to. But he is 14 months old he does walk or talk. I mean he will only say Ma. He crawls but he just started doing that at like 10 months.. So i am looking for some help or advice.Thanks so much Teah
#330 of 737 Old 09-12-2006, 07:38 AM

our youngest has had many things:
Failure to thrive--and 4 months weighed only 7 lbs 1/2 oz same weight as birth, was taking of failure to thrive list when he hid 46 lbs at age 7
Epilepsy--diagnosed at age 2 years, 11 1/2 months
Asthma ---at 3 months
Hearing loss--9 mos
allergies--2 years
Behavior issues--18 months
and MR at age 3
we were told after the siezures started that he would never walk or talk again, well he does!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page