Post your childs diagnosis!! - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-04-2008, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son has aspergers. When he was diagnosed, I asked the Dr. about him possibly having oppositional defiance disorder....since he fits all the criteria.

The Dr (who has worked with autistic kids for years, written a couple of books, has a son with autism...& very sought after) said that in all the cases presented to him as having ODD, everyone had aspergers....he thinks the ODD can go hand in hand with aspergers. I'm not sure know if he was saying all kids with ODD have aspergers...I wish I would of pressed the issue.

Anyway, anyone here dealing with aspergers & ODD??? The ODD is so much worse than the aspergers.....
I just don't know what to do with my son...except love him & try my best....& pray he doesn't turn out to be a criminal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie75 View Post
Anyway, anyone here dealing with aspergers & ODD??? The ODD is so much worse than the aspergers.....
I just don't know what to do with my son...except love him & try my best....& pray he doesn't turn out to be a criminal.
It sounds like you have a lot on your plate.
I don't know much about ODD. I don't think too many people on the SN board read this thread or even notice it when there's a new post because it's pinned to the top and doesn't move up and down in the forum with each new post. It might be better if you opened a brand new thread. I'm sure there are mamas here and, perhaps in mental health, who have more answers.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
It sounds like you have a lot on your plate.
I don't know much about ODD. I don't think too many people on the SN board read this thread or even notice it when there's a new post because it's pinned to the top and doesn't move up and down in the forum with each new post. It might be better if you opened a brand new thread. I'm sure there are mamas here and, perhaps in mental health, who have more answers.
Thank you! I'm going to do that....it's quite a mixture to be dealing with, for sure.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ooooo... I've been lurking for a while...

We're still waiting for an official diagnosis, but we're pretty sure that DS (4) is on the spectrum, but I think he'll be considered high functioning. He currently goes to an AMAZING speech/language focused preschool and has made huge leaps since September. His main issues are receptive/expressive language delays, some fine motor skill issues, rigidity in his routines, difficulties interacting with his peers, some sensory issues (seeking) and a full-on love affair with numbers and letters.

Our younger son is 9months and we're keeping an eye on him, but it's pretty early. I do notice that he's more "attached" to me (he gets more upset when I'm not around than his older brother did) so that's a difference already.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:29 AM

I have a 9 year old son with high functioning asd, adhd and odd. It is hard! He is, as I type down the road after having left home "for good" again He has just had his 2nd meltdown in 2 days and it wears us both out. I will let him calm down and go and get him and we will sit in the car and cry together, him because he is so confused and angry thinks that he would be better off dead and me because I don't know how to help him.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:23 AM

Well, we just received the official diagnosis that my second son (about to be 3) is autistic. Our first ARD is in two weeks and he will be attending school for the 08-09 school year.

There is so much and I'm so new at learning about all of this. He is verbal but you can't understand him. He does not like to be touched. He is only comfortable around very few people. Strangers are a HUGE issue for us. He doesn't have tantrums....he has full blown meltdowns. There is only a matter of seconds from the onset of "upset" to a meltdown. He loves to play by himself. Holds very little eye contact. And so much more that right now I can't even explain.

I love my boy. I just want to make sure I am doing as much as I can for him.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:14 PM

Great thread!

My son Ryan is 4. He has not been formally dxed but we are sure he has some sort of Sensory Prossessing Disorder. We first thought Autism but now we know the diff. He also has been dxed with Asthma, Eczema, and Anxiety! Imagine being 4 and having all that on your plate! Poor thing! He is a great kid and one of the loves of my life! He is exceptionally smart and loving as long as ya don't come at him with glue, sand, lotion, slime, paint.....the list goes on lol!
Old 05-23-2008, 02:17 AM

My 11 year-old son was diagnosed with sensory integration disorder at 3. More recently he was diagnosed with ADHD, generalized anxiety disorder and OCD. He's also gifted.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:33 PM

DS has not been given a dx yet, but he has an appointment in 6 weeks. DS is 3.5 years old and is in the bottom 1% in terms of language development. He has been going to ST for over 6 months and was recently evaluated for OT. I hope that he will be able to attend the socialization spec. ed through the school system. We see a homeopathic practitioner regularly.

Otherwise, I'm just taking things day by day, making our way as best we can!
Old 06-06-2008, 01:19 AM

as of today, ds is now PDD-NOS with global developmental delays
Old 06-06-2008, 01:31 AM

We had ds' IEP today. He is speech/language impaired. Receptive language is actually a few months ahead. Expressive is way delayed though. He'll get early on services through the summer and then the speech therapist will come to our house in the fall.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:26 PM

HUGS to all you mamas!!

I've been on MDC for a long time, but am just now posting here. Can we say denial?

My DD(11.5yo) was first dxed with SID(Auditory and Tactile) when she was 4yo;when she was 10.5yo, she was dxed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder-and I am currently wondering if there will be an OCD dxes soon.

mp
Old 06-06-2008, 06:05 PM

Nate's official DX is PDD-NOS. He's also a big time sensory seeker and I suspect he has some auditory processing issues.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:10 PM

My son was originally dx'd with Asperger's Syndrome last summer but after seeing a neuropsychologist several times over the last eight months his dx has been changed to PDD-NOS. He also has ADHD (severe according to the clinician) as well as Generalized Anxiety Disorder. The neuropsych did say that he exhibits clinical symptoms of Tourette's Syndrome (numerous vocal/motor tics) but did not diagnose him with it officially. He is also verbally gifted so falls into the twice exceptional category.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:27 PM

My DSD's was dx'ed with BP/ADHD two years ago after receiving a misdx of just ADHD when she was 5yo. We are finally on a great treatment path with her. It is hard to even imagine just how bad life was with her before she was dx'ed and medicated correctly.

Mama to Ava (12/03) , Leila (4/06) , Violet (11/08) , and bonus mama to Madison (7/98)
Old 06-12-2008, 07:41 PM

Ok, I have 3 kids. My oldest son is perfectly normal, except for normal annoying 6 yr old behavior. Then I have my little Gray, he just turned 5. He has severe food allergies to milk, eggs, peanuts and severe asthma, growth hormone deficiency (he is finally on the growth chart after being on hormone injections daily for 1 yr), and he is undiagnosed (by a doc) mildly autistic. He has severe speech delay and major issues responding normally to social things or anything for that matter. I just found out today that his immune system is not working properly. Don't know where to go with that one. The one plus and minus is that he has a high cognitive level. On the positive he can compensate for some of his issues, but on the downside - he know he is very different already. He always asks me when he will talk normal. Breaks my heart.
I like alot of other people have loving friends, but noone truly knows what your life is like unless they experience it. This includes grandparents and sometimes my husband (who travels alot).
My youngest is almost 3 - Annie. She has severe peanut and fire ant allergy. Severe asthma/recurrent pneumonia, and looks like she is not growing either. However, her speeh and social skills seem okay. Thats it. Thanks!!!!:
Old 06-18-2008, 09:51 PM

DS1 born 9-14-05. Sensory Processing Disorder (auditory is the major one, but also tactile, proprioceptive, vestibular and occasionally oral) Possibly on the Autism Spectrum. We're going back to the neuropsych in a few weeks to discuss a specific diagnosis. I wasn't ready to hear it at our last appt, but he did talk about a few therapies that I know are for young children with autism. We've been working with Birth to Three since last fall with an OT, and are going to work with an early childhood educator to help with play skills this summer. He turns three in September so we're starting the transition to being with the school district.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:02 PM

Hello all.:

I'm new at this; just found this website. Our son, now seven years old, was born January 20, 2001. His diagnosis is hypoxic ishemic encepholapathy, post uterine rupture. His apgars were 0, 0, 3, and 6. Born weighing 10 lbs 1oz, and 23 1/2 inches.

Along with the primary dx, he has severe GER; dysplasia; diskenisia; athetosis; CVI; hypertonicity; and all the other diagnosos that go with brain damage due to lack of oxygen and blood flow for 23 minutes at birth. He is fed through a MicKy/G-tube; has NOT had a fundelplication (yet), and is probably the happiest kid I have ever seen, although he does have his moments, as do we.

Angst and anger have turned to joy and humbleness as we have watched this fragile soul grow and become his own person. He currently attends Bridge School, where he is learning AAC techniques; and the Avalon Academy; where a portion of his body therapies are performed.

I've gleened through some of this board and the comments and felt we should share some our "stuff" with those of you who feel they might want some advice from us. Don't be shy, I'll be asking alot of questions from all of you also.

Very proud to meet all of you survivors!!

Old 07-01-2008, 12:26 AM

Welcome!
Old 07-04-2008, 02:42 AM

Hello. my daughter Meredith was diagnosed with dandy walker malformation variant(her Cerebellum is misformed which can cause a variety of problems depending on how much is missing or misformed). before birth in an ultrasound done at 34 weeks. She was also diagnosed with the accompanying Hydrocepahlus at almost a year old. She had a VP shunt placed 5 days before her first birthday. She has had few problems due to the dw besides the hydro. She has just learned to walk at 15 months and is having a developmental therapist come because of it. She is a very smart little girl and give me a run for my money. She also was diagonsed with hypotonia and contracted MRSA in her 5 day nicu stay. She is doing great and has few problems with either. The hypotonia was part of the reason she just now learned to walk.

Megan: Wife to DH (2-19-09) Mother to DD (3-26-07) and DS (8-14-09) Exclusively breastfeeding, babywearing and cosleeping.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:44 PM

My daughter Saylor has officially been diagnosed with Osteogenesis Imperfecta Type 1 which is a genetic disorder characterized by low bone density, meaning she can break bones by tripping over her own feet. It's challenging because she can't really ever fall ever or she could end up in a cast. So she must be watched constantly. And I get accused of child abuse a lot because it's weird for a 2 year old to have a broken leg.

More about Osteogenesis Imperfecta www.OIF.org
Old 07-07-2008, 03:40 PM

i don't know if i have posted in this thread yet. my daughter has ataxia telangiectasia. she turned 2 in june.

we just learned of her diagnosis (although we have suspected it since march), and i am still reeling from it.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

Old 07-11-2008, 02:43 PM

Theo is 2 years and 8 months and has just gotten dx as expresive speach delay. We've been working with Early Intervention since he was about 20 months, at 2 years and 8 months he has less than 10 words and about 15 ASL signs.

his other communitcation skills are on targetr, and his recpetive language is actually a little ahead.

no other cog issues.

no real DX or WHY given.

starting speech threapy 3x a week -- twice one place and once one other place.

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 07-14-2008, 09:48 PM

Sophia Grace is 2. She was diagnosed with ALL Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. She is undergoing Chemotherapy, and responding well to treatment. I am looking for more information on pain managment, and diet.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:07 AM

My 14 month old daughter has CHARGE syndrome, a genetic disorder. Born at 7lbs and 2ozs, at 14 mos weights 11lbs. She has a trach from Choanal Atresia/stenosis. g-tube/nissan. moderate hearing loss, some vision loss.She has Coloboma os the iris muscle/tone problems. heart defects, she's about the age of not even 4 months. But she is the best thing thats ever happened to me!!!!!
Old 07-19-2008, 12:49 AM

Welcome! My son has 22q deletion, called Velocardiofacial Syndrome or DiGeorge Syndrome, which in many ways is similar to CHARGE Syndrome. That was on our list of differential diagnoses when meeting with the geneticist. I think you'll love this group on Mothering, the special needs forum is the best source of support and information I've found yet! It kicks the pants off of any yahoo group I've been on

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
Old 07-27-2008, 06:35 PM

My son, benjamin is 16 months old and was diagnosed 4 months ago with a rare genetic disorder called Hurler's Syndrome. He is being admitted into the hospital on August 4th and will have a stem cell transplant using donor umbillical cord blood on August 14.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamapoppins View Post
HUGS to all you mamas!!

I've been on MDC for a long time, but am just now posting here. Can we say denial?

I was just about to come and write this!

I'm Bliss - I haven't posted on MDC since Henry, my youngest, weaned nearly a year ago, but since then Jack, my oldest (he will be 4 in November), has been diagnosed - autistic disorder. His doctor definitely believes he is quite high functioning. He was diagnosed in April, and I still feel like we are trying to get our ducks in a row, but he's doing great. Language is one of his most significant delays, though he has always talked, but much of it was in his own language or movie scripts. However, since starting speech therapy in January, he has made HUGE gains in that area. He has also started occupational therapy to deal with some sensory issues, and in this area he seems to actually be having a tougher time right now, but I can't help but wonder if it's because he is having some sensory experiences that, up until now, he was able to avoid (he tends to avoid, rather than seek). In a few weeks, he will start attending a traditional preschool in an inclusion program - he and another little boy with autism will share a facilitator who will attend school with them every day (they are the only two "nontypical" kids out of a class of 14.) I believe he will enjoy the structure...I will miss him (he is going every morning.)

Anyway, glad I finally made it over here.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:15 AM

Welcome to all the mommies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimemcallistr View Post
My 14 month old daughter has CHARGE syndrome, a genetic disorder. Born at 7lbs and 2ozs, at 14 mos weights 11lbs. She has a trach from Choanal Atresia/stenosis. g-tube/nissan. moderate hearing loss, some vision loss.She has Coloboma os the iris muscle/tone problems. heart defects, she's about the age of not even 4 months. But she is the best thing thats ever happened to me!!!!!
I have a friend whose son has CHARGE syndrome. He is now in his teens. He has vision loss and some hearing issues. He goes to an inclusion school. He's a full member of his community and accepted by them.

My friend is active in a national CHARGE organization. If you want more information about her group, let me know.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:29 PM

Welcome to all the new folks. This is a very supportive group. I've only been posting here a couple months and it feels so comfortable to talk here.

User Tag List