6 y/o with aggressive behavior during feeding therapy - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 08-17-2015, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
6 y/o with aggressive behavior during feeding therapy

My son has Goldenhar syndrome that prevents him from closing his mouth, which prevents him from swallowing. He had to have a feeding tube as a baby and couldn't have jaw surgery until he was 1 (when we had his first jaw distraction, and when he started feeding therapy). He can't swallow solids until he has more surgery, so we stick to liquids. We have feeding therapy daily at a local clinic and we do the protocol at home. The feeding therapy is supposed to teach him how to eat and to keep him from being orally aversive. We had times where he was very cooperative and where he flat out refused to eat, and nothing motivated him.

He's now 6 and flat out refuses to eat. It started at home, he would wllingly get on the high chair, but then refuse to open his mouth for HOURS, unmoving. Nothing motivated him to eat. No toys, kid shows (including his favorite, higglytown heroes). He did this at home but not at the therapists office. But for the past 3 months he has been acting this like this at the therapists office. He sat on the high chair for hours, while the therapist kept prompting him to take a bite. He loves higglytown, can watch it all day and watches it all day when he's sick. We played his FAVORITE episode (that he could literally watch all day) for 30 seconds, and paused it, kept prompting him, and he sat for FOUR HOURS deciding his favorite episode was not worth eating. He did that with his favorite toy (which he can only play with during feeding sessions). We tried letting him feed himself, no luck. He hasn't eaten orally for 3 months because he flat out refused and 5 months at home.

Now he started to be aggressive. He started spitting at the therapist and me during feeding sessions for the past 3 weeks. He just sits at the high chair throwing tantrums trying to get off (we ignore it and act like we don't care, that doesn't stop him). He started being violent when we went to the clinic. He doesn't care about consequences. Now when we get to the parking lot he resists and runs away. He ran into the road and got hit by a car THREE TIMES. The last time he did it (which was on Friday) I pulled him out and he resisted and screamed "I DON'T WANT TO EAT" loudly and than hit me. I'm not taking him to feeding clinic today because I know this will happen again and he won't eat. He hasn't eaten orally for 3 months because he flat out refused. There is no other medical reason he cannot eat. Does anybody have suggestions? Any?

The original plan was that we use a timer and if he didn't take X amount of bites in 30 minutes the session was over. He QUICKLY learned he can get up on 30 minutes weather he ate or not. So they decided he had to take a certain number of bites before he could get off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 08-31-2015, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe skip feeding therapy for a few months.

Tags
craniofacial , feeding therapy , goldenhar syndrome

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page