9yo can't do simple puzzles and having verbal memory issues? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 08-27-2015, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
9yo can't do simple puzzles and having verbal memory issues?

We had an ADOS done and while she met the cut off the Dr wasn't sure it would translate into a DSM 5 dx because she was missing other signs like obsessions (being obsessed with harassing people for entertainment apparently doesn't count lol) and its more social and communication issues. Anyway, during testing the Dr discovered that she couldn't do either of the 2 puzzles (one a 4yo is supposed to be able to do) and she's was unable to do the story memory cards until she had a visual place holder for them. When removed from sight she couldn't remember the story but then she asked if he could just turn them upside down so she couldn't see the pictures then she could remember the story without a problem but she had to have the cards out to remember.

She is a very literal kid and as such I have worked extensively with her on things like idioms (my other child has autism so I learned a long time ago to explain stuff) which kind of threw the testing because I have always worked with her on stuff like that and basically given her scripts to work off of when speaking. I basically did it out of frustration from all the times I was left speechless over her words or behavior but she can apparently fake it enough but they could see she's struggling with it. Anyway, she had a stroke either at or shortly after birth but there is some disagreement on it. She's having her first brain MRI since 19 months tomorrow to look for changes.

Anyway, my question, why would not being able to do the puzzle be an issue and what could cause verbal memory issues like that? Her visual memory is awesome, if I can't find something I ask her because if she's seen it she will remember where its at as if she's looking at it.

Seriously?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-30-2015, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
No answers just hugs
Anna

Anna, mom to 4 great kids, homeschooling in Toronto.
#3 of 4 Old 08-31-2015, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Most likely autism or Asperger's.

#4 of 4 Old 09-21-2015, 10:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Does she have problems with sequencing in general, or motor planning?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page