How to replace bottle with chewy? - Mothering Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By sillysapling

#1 of 2 Old 09-10-2015, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
How to replace bottle with chewy?

The bottle is a crutch kiddo has been using for too long. He's never been good at self soothing, but the bottle helps him calm down. It has to be full, it can't be just water, etc. He chews on it as much as he sucks it.

So we got flavored chewie that he likes. How do we make the leap from relying on the bottle to using the chewie to soothe instead? We don't want to just take away the bottle, because we've tried and it's utter hell because he has nothing else to calm himself with.

Any suggestions? We're okay with taking a few weeks to do this slowly, but it NEEDS to happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 09-11-2015, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Update:

Yesterday, he chewed through his second nipple in 2 weeks. He chews through them at night/nap time. We have to replace the nipple because he gets upset when it spills all over him (and we don't like him having a severely broken nipple). So we just sighed and said "Alright, kiddo, no more night bottles".

Apparently, he was ready. Last night- it was a non-issue. We cuddled on the couch, he had a bottle, he finished the bottle and we smoothly replaced it with the chewy, we took him to bed and he went to sleep. Non-issue.

Tonight, after a few minutes he started crying and wouldn't be soothed over the baby monitor so I went in and just held him while he cried for a few minutes until he calmed down. He asked for the bottle and I told him that he couldn't have it at night anymore, he had his chewy, I knew it was hard but he could do it- and I left. He made upset noises for a few minutes before settling down.

I don't know if the melatonin is making this easier, but I think he was ready for it. He was chewing the bottles more than drinking from them and then getting upset by breaking them, the chew is probably more welcome than he'll admit.
Chalex likes this.

Two proud daddies and our little monster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
4/13
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/15
this is just a moment in time, step aside and let it happen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page