2Likes
  • 1 Post By heatherweh
  • 1 Post By Linda on the move

#1 of 4 Old 12-14-2015, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
First day on Concerta

DS (PDD NOS) had his first day on Concerta today (the generic for it). He did great. No headache or stomach ache or any of the side effects I was worried he might experience. His day therapist said he seemed noticeably calmer and more focused and he got 9/10 for his BIP (behavior improvement plan).

The behaviors he was getting in trouble for at school daily and disrupting the class are specifically those noted as typical ASD behaviors (granted comorbid disorders such as anxiety and sensory processing disorder factor) such as inability to focus, chronic disorganization, rigidity, careless mistakes, not following directions (more steps=less likely).

Not the be all, end all, but I am relieved today wasn't catastrophic in any way and I am cautiously optimistic for continued improvement. How good it would feel to be able to perform better in school and fit in with peers without earning the ire of the teacher every day. Hopeful.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-14-2015, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
I'm glad he had a great first day! I've had students start on methylphenidate and sometimes it takes a few weeks to really see how it is working. I've seen it be life changing for kids.

Keep us posted about how it goes. Good for you for being willing to try something different.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#3 of 4 Old 12-23-2015, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
So far so good, behavior chart at school (from abysmal failure) to 10/10, 9/10, 10/10, 8/10, 9/10 for the first week. DS said it helps him "be better" without elaborating further. I am hopeful that this medicine along with his behavioral therapy and sensory integration occupational therapy will be the winning combination.
Linda on the move likes this.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."

#4 of 4 Old 12-23-2015, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
hopefully everything will continue to go well. A lot of kids have some bumps right after holidays, so don't get too hung up on the first few days back after Christmas.

With one little boy I know, meds help him be together enough that he can participate in sensory integration activities, and that he can use tools (such as sitting on a big ball rather than a chair). Without the meds, none of it works because he is just too out of control. Yet it is really the combination that helps him be his best.
sillysapling likes this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page