Schools with Special Education Program - Plano/Dallas/Frisco [Nearby] Texas - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 01-06-2016, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question Schools with Special Education Program - Plano/Dallas/Frisco [Nearby] Texas

We are moving to Plano Texas area ( we open to Frisco or any nearby area based on school ) . My daughter is having global developmental delay(she doesn't talk or act on instructions) she is not diagnosed of any syndrome but was told that she is having global delays. She starts elementary next year and we are trying to find a good school for her. Her current PreK teachers [She goes to Prek in a school only for special needs kids] have told her to be put in regular school with special needs program where she will be put in regular class room for couple of hours a day. She needs speech , OT AND PT.
I called Frisco and Plano ISD and they are not willing to give any school details which might be helpful. They want me to give a home address and assign a school based on that. We would like to know good school options so that we can pick home accordingly. Would someone be able to help us with good school options for me with special needs program in regular school in that region.

Really concerned about her well being and the facilities in the school being new to the place .

Please suggest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-07-2016, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dia4life View Post
Her current PreK teachers [She goes to Prek in a school only for special needs kids] have told her to be put in regular school with special needs program where she will be put in regular class room for couple of hours a day. She needs speech , OT AND PT.

Hi! I'm a special education teacher in an elementary school. All public schools are required to have special education programs, and under federal law children are to be educated in their least restrictive environment, which means in their neighborhood school if at all possible. This obviously plays out very differently in different schools and different districts. But that's why the districts want to know your address, because that is their starting point. That determines what your DD's school is. So ANY public school should be able to provide her with basic sp. ed. services and the opportunity to spend big chunks of time with her non-disabled peers.

The way it works in my district is that we have sp. ed. services at EVERY school. In addition to 4 sp. ed. teachers, my school also has a full time speech therapist and full time speech therapist assistant. We have kids at our school who get OT and PT, but not enough for full time therapists, so we share those therapists with other schools and they come to our school just on certain days.

Some of the schools in our district have self contained classrooms for students who need more support. Placement in those classrooms is not based on the student's address, and is not made lightly. No one gets in those rooms over the phone, and it is the kind of placement that her preschool recommended anyway.

I suggest posting on the member board for Texas, and seeing if some of the members can tell you about the schools there. Often, schools that are generally good schools also have good sp. ed. programs. Often, schools with more money have lower ratios of sp. ed. staff to students.

It is super difficult to tell what programs are like over the phone. Can you plan to do your move in stages -- get a temporary apartment, then visit schools and check out programs, and then decide where to live long term?

One question you might ask of principals is what they taught when they were classroom teachers. The best principal I've worked with (from a sp. ed. point of view) taught in a self contained classroom for kids with emotional disabilities, and he is passionate about the experience that our sp. ed. kids had at school. I currently work with a principal who always had the gifted cluster, and there are some things that she just doesn't get.

but everything has pros and consĀ  shrug.gif

#3 of 3 Old 01-08-2016, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My best friend recently moved from NJ to Tennessee. She has a special needs son (Asperger's) and was looking to choose where they lived, within a certain radius, based primarily on the special education options for her son. I don't know if this would be an option for you, but she called all the principals in the areas she would consider, and asked for an in-person appointment. The she flew there and did 2 days of meetings to help her decide. Maybe they would give you more info in person?

Tags
dallas , frisco , plano , special needs school , speech delays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page