MAJOR behavior changes through diet!!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 121 Old 09-27-2004, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did immuno labs blood work up, which any doctor or chiro can order for you.
(or you can probably order it yourself?)

I think this is the site for taht company?
http://www.betterhealthusa.com/public/main.cfm
#62 of 121 Old 11-03-2004, 04:54 PM

bump
#63 of 121 Old 11-03-2004, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Bean has had her best 1-2 months ever! She had a full four weeks of no diarrhea! She has had reactions 4 times since then, but at least it's not every day anymore!

So she is doing really great
I love it!

WE are even re-introducing some of those foods now, but we will not reintroduce gluten or dairy.
#64 of 121 Old 11-03-2004, 06:29 PM

The IL's re-introduced dairy to all three of my kids 2 weeks ago when they 'did us a favor' and babysat them so we could go out. It was AWFUL! My 1.5 yo got diarrhea, my 5 yo went back to raging and feeling out of control, and my 7 yo was full of anxiety.

The ILs did a few others things, too, which has led to no further non-supervised visits.

BUT, it was definitely a test that proved to them that YES dairy is a big fat NO item!!! Once it finally got out of the kids' systems, they started feeling better.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#65 of 121 Old 11-03-2004, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

poor kids! I hope the in laws will listen better in the future for the sake of their loved ones
#66 of 121 Old 12-22-2004, 12:45 AM

Hi!

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm the momma of a 3 3/4 yo dd with allergies that affect her digestion and behavior. DH and I thought we had everything all figured out, being gluten, dairy, yeast, egg, chocolate, turkey, sugar, artificial anything and strawberry - free when dd started acting like the lead character from "The Exorcist" a week ago. We think we have narrowed it down to corn. And I thought eliminating gluten was tough! Arrgh! If anyone has links to dealing with corn allergies, I would greatly appreciate it.

We are also starting NAET. Has anyone had good results with it?

Happy allergy-free holidays!
#67 of 121 Old 12-22-2004, 02:18 AM

My ds is severely allergic to corn. He has different reactions to different kinds of corn products. His reactions can be as severe as breathing difficulties (we carry an epi pen jr and an inhaler JIC), to excessive vomitting, to hives, to a variety of behaviour issues. Unfortunately my computer died and I am borrowing this one, so I don't have my long list of links available for you, but here are a few.

http://www.theconnorswebsite.com/cornallergens/list.htm

http://allergies.about.com/cs/corn/a/aa053199.htm

HTH

#68 of 121 Old 12-22-2004, 10:01 AM

What does NAET stand for ?

We have also had our best 2-3 months in a long, long time. I took ds to a naturopath a couple of months ago, and she did some tests, one of which used a computerized stylus which pressed on acupuncture points. She put ds on a probiotic and a high essential fat supplement. Immediately we saw improvement. His stool is usually around a 4 in a 1 out of 5 scale, but we have had several 5s too! He is sleeping better, and his behaviour is so much more peaceful now. He has had gliches along the way - I ran out of my homeopathic cough syrup one night and had to give him children's drugstore brand (with red colouring) he was flying! Kiwis also affect him. And recently his grandma didn't realize chocolate was off the list and she gave him a little chocolate rice milk one evening. She said within hours he was buzzing. I tried millet one morning, but that seemed to bother him. I know he cannot digest whole corn, and know that I really should try to eliminate it and see what happens.
#69 of 121 Old 12-23-2004, 12:12 AM

Thank you for the corn links! I really appreciate the info!

NAET stands for Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Technique and involves acupressure, muscle response testing and avoiding the allergen for a short time, usually 25 hours. There is a website that describes the process and lists qualified practitioners. I have heard good things about it, but it is a slow and potentially expensive process. We have been told about 6 months of 1 visit/week for dd. We were seeing a chiropractor in Florida who did NAET and insurance covered all but $15 of each visit, but have since moved and visits now are $50. :

I wish there was a local support group for parents of children w/multiple allergies/sensitivities. I joined a celiac group, but there was dairy, sugar and artificial everything flying around, so quit.
#70 of 121 Old 12-28-2004, 03:28 AM

Has anyone had a good experience with corn-free probiotic/acidophilus brand that you would recommend? It also has to be gluten and dairy-free. I realized the one I have been giving dd has maltodextrin.

Happy Holidays!
#71 of 121 Old 12-29-2004, 12:07 PM

I'm so happy I ran across this thread! My son has SID, and some traits that are on the Autistic spectrum, though I don't believe he's truely Autistic. He makes eye contact, gives hugs and for the most part is very interactive and social.

Anyway, someone was telling me about the gluetin/cassin free diet and I'm really wanting to give it a try. Everything he eats right now has those ingredients in it. I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Any good suggestions on how/where to start with the dietary changes?

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#72 of 121 Old 03-16-2005, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllmomma
Has anyone had a good experience with corn-free probiotic/acidophilus brand that you would recommend? It also has to be gluten and dairy-free. I realized the one I have been giving dd has maltodextrin.

Happy Holidays!
Yes, Garden of Life "Primal Defense" is free of all those things. I contacted the company myself. Available at your local hfs, or for much cheaper on eBay.

hth
Amy
#73 of 121 Old 03-17-2005, 12:57 AM

this thread is so appropos for my kids, i just had to register. i am sending the link to my son's father. you know who you are! :LOL

just b/c he doesnt have intestinal upset, this is not any less appropriate! he has the runny nose, scratchy throat, under-eye circles, sleep disturbances, uncontrollable impulsivity, and inappropriate hyper-kinetic behavior. not to mention the emotional upsets, and crying episodes about how worthless he is and how he doesn't deserve to live.

several mental health professionals have seen what mama has known since the early days of his life, except they call it ADHD and depressed affect/depressive disorder-NOS, and recommend meds. his new doctor (MD) took one look at his "allergy eyes" and totally accepted my reports regarding my sons issues. he recommended a bloodprint from immunolabs. its $300, so we'll start with the gliadin anti-body test at our covered lab and go from there.

well, you-know-who, i hope you read this far! see, i'm not the only crazy person who "makes stuff up about their kids health". LOL there are others like me who know their kids well enough to know when something is wrong, and are smart enough to do something about it.
#74 of 121 Old 03-17-2005, 02:25 PM

Thanks for bumping this up.

My 2 yr old dd is in the process of being evaluated and possibly diagnosed w/ ASD. Before I even knew of her possibly having ASD or allergic recations to food by behavior, I discovered something very interesting. I discovered that everytime my dd drank whole cows milk, her autistic like behaviors would become worse - no eye contact, not responding to her name, doing repeatitive activities and not communicating. When we switched her to soy, she bounced back (almost to normal level). We witness this incident twice. The first time when we switched her from breastmilk to cows milk from 12-18 mos and from 24 mos to 29mos. From birth to 12 mos and from 18 mos to 24 mos, she had breastmilk (I had #2 when she was 18 mos so I could provide her w/ BM again). When she was 29 mos, we gave her soymilk and she finally accepted it (she is very picky). We had always thought she drank too much cows milk and were relieve to know she wanted to drink something else. W/in 1 day, her entire behavior changed. She would use words to communicate and she called me mommy.

Now that I have learned about these diets and met other parents who had children benefit from these diets, I am a firm believer in it..even though not all kids respond to this. Thanks for creating this thread!
#75 of 121 Old 03-17-2005, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

a lot has changed since my original post!
I have written it all out and when I touch it up for spelling and such I will post it
#76 of 121 Old 03-17-2005, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercup
W/in 1 day, her entire behavior changed. She would use words to communicate and she called me mommy.
We had a similar experience with my oldest who has autism. Taking away cow's milk resulted in sleeping through the night for the first time ever (he was 3). Just keep an eye out for soy reactions. Within 3 months of switching to soy milk, my son started having the same problems as when he was on cow's milk. Because the proteins are so similar, some kids have the same types of problems with both. Don't try to get rid of soy altogether unless you have to -- eliminating soy cuts out some of the staples you use on a GFCF diet. But you might see if she'll accept rice milk (not Rice Dream brand if you're doing gluten-free, though), almond milk (yum!), and some others for a little variety.
#77 of 121 Old 03-17-2005, 06:25 PM

We also ran into induced sensitivities after cutting out dairy, wheat, eggs and a few others. Relied too heavily on soy, almond and corn : . Now dd is off of all three of those! Now we are rotating (I highly recommend this!) to hopefully prevent further problems. Also seeing a practitioner for NAET.

Good luck to all and Happy Spring!
#78 of 121 Old 03-17-2005, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

i also strongly agree with rotating. Not rotating can cause you a world of diet related trouble when the intestines and body are still healing from gluten damage!
At least start wtih rotating and try to stick with a 5 day rotation for 2 months at least!
#79 of 121 Old 03-17-2005, 06:47 PM

Can someone help me out with a couple of things. First what exactly is a rotation diet? I understand that you are switching up the foods that you give your child in order to lessen the possibilities of developing a sensitivity to them right? But you don't mean that I should be rotation any gluten or dairy products in there do you?

Second, Rice dream has gluten in it????? I have been feeding ds that all along and I'm sure I read it was gf. I'll have to go check my box. I am worried that all he gets is rice dream. I would love to give him some almond milk but he is under three and my cousin has serious nut allergies so I have been putting that off. He doesn't drink a ton of rice milk - maybe 1 - 1 1/2 c. per day. Do you think that is going to cause him problems?

We have been reintroducing some gluten foods in his diet with promising results! The dairy still causes him problems almost immediately
#80 of 121 Old 03-17-2005, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBaby'sSmile
Can someone help me out with a couple of things. First what exactly is a rotation diet? I understand that you are switching up the foods that you give your child in order to lessen the possibilities of developing a sensitivity to them right? But you don't mean that I should be rotation any gluten or dairy products in there do you?

Second, Rice dream has gluten in it????? I have been feeding ds that all along and I'm sure I read it was gf. I'll have to go check my box. I am worried that all he gets is rice dream. I would love to give him some almond milk but he is under three and my cousin has serious nut allergies so I have been putting that off. He doesn't drink a ton of rice milk - maybe 1 - 1 1/2 c. per day. Do you think that is going to cause him problems?

We have been reintroducing some gluten foods in his diet with promising results! The dairy still causes him problems almost immediately
A rotation diet basically means that you only have foods every few days. For instance, if you ate corn and corn products one day, you wouldn't eat them again for 4-5 days. You would not include foods that are problematic. You are mainly trying to prevent new problems from occurring by overingesting a certain type of food. I'm certain others here will have advice, and there are good books, too. When I looked into doing it with my son, I was surprised by which foods are included in the same categories, so a reference is a good idea.

As for the Rice Dream -- I think it's on the side near the very top. Very small print indicating that it does contain a small amount of gluten from barley.

I wouldn't risk almond milk, either, at his age. There are other brands of rice milk that are good (Pacific is a common brand), and *****'s Darifree is potato-based (I think). As far as the amount that will hurt -- I think it varies from child to child. My son doesn't react to the casein in a weekly Hershey's kiss, but he does react if I give him 1/4 of a graham cracker (we just came off of a 2 month "break" from the diet to deal with some other issues, so I know all of this all-too-well.)

It's horrid getting all of this sorted out at the beginning, but it gets a lot easier with a little time.
#81 of 121 Old 03-17-2005, 10:15 PM

As far as amounts of things causing problems...Dd wasn't getting that much soy milk either, but we did use some other soy products (not much, and not every day). I think it depends on the sensitivity of your child, but it is really tough to lose one more thing (having been through that!). I don't even think she was getting a cup a day, but it is the daily nature of exposure that causes problems. I read somewhere that the human hunter/gather diet had over 200 items in it. Currently we are lucky to have 20. That really makes a difference in our bodies!

Also, children don't have to have "milk". There are other very good sources of Calcium (if that is the worry). We found that dd does better just drinking filtered water the majority of the time. I just don't buy other stuff, and when we are out, tell her that we don't have any .

Good Luck!
#82 of 121 Old 03-19-2005, 10:15 AM

LaLa, thank you for this thread ! We recently had a similar experience with our son, although in our case it seems it is just dairy. He is almost two and he is calm, happy, sleeping well, and having solid poops for the first time in his life since we cut out all dairy from both our diets (he still nurses so I am doing it too) in December.

We never got any help from his ped in finding a solution - they said everything we were suffering through was "behavioral". Now I want to find a ped who is better informed about food sensitivities. Can anyone suggest how I start to look for one ?

Thanks !

Linda

[QUOTE=LaLa]
For anyone who wants to chat about this more, let's keep this thread going! I know that there are many children who are acting out in ways that society would like to slap labels on and when it can be so simple as tracking down food sensitivities and getting them on a diet...well it is worth trying!

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#83 of 121 Old 03-19-2005, 01:02 PM

http://ahha.org/ahhasearch.asp

also try a search for the American College for Advancement in Medicine. that's how i found this doc who wants us to do the immunolabs test.
#84 of 121 Old 03-19-2005, 03:02 PM

We never got any help/support from a pediatrician either (or gastroenterologist), and we tried many. We did find an MD (family practice) trained in environmental medicine who was much more open minded and helpful. We found this specialty by reading Doris Rapp's book "Is This Your Child?" You can check out the American Academy of Environmental Medicine on the internet to find a local doctor.

I also highly recommend "How to Raise a Healthy Child...In spite of Your Doctor" by Robert S. Mendelsohn, MD. He discusses all the reasons why kids don't need regular pediatric check-ups, as well as how to find a doctor when you do need one. I wish all parents would read this book!
#85 of 121 Old 03-20-2005, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Linda, I don't know how!
We saw a pedatiricina, 2 GI specialists (one in a highly respected children's hospital), two chiropractors, one occupatuional therapist, one pyscologist, and an MD who specializes in learning/behavior disorders as well as asking everyone we could dream of for their amature opinion.
no one helped us.
We had to figure it out alone, and once we figured it out, everyone was ready to back it up

I wish I knew the answer to that question!
#86 of 121 Old 03-21-2005, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You all might want to check the Health & Healing-->Allergies board. I think that was the forum I found alot of support for this in.

QUESTION: If the blood test is looking for antibodies, then you have to be currently ingesting the allergen to see if there's an issue... correct? And every doctor (and literature) I have ever seen says bloodwork will not usually pick up an intolerance...? This is why the poop tests are supposed to be better (but I'm not sure about their accuracy).

Some excellent cookbooks are:

Special Diets for Special Kids
AIA Gluten & Casein Free Cookbook
anything by The Gluten-Free Gourmet (which often accomodates other food allergies)

Also... for food shopping, http://www.allergygrocer.com/ will allow you to hunt up stuff based on multiple allergies (advanced search I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silliest
Well we have a big freezer and we've hardly used it since we went GF/CF, so that's no problem :-) (I used to do a lot of frozen dinners and stuff, but no more!)
I'm still bulk cooking and freezing extra dinners with my extra freezer. It's been a God-send. Did you used to do alot of pre-packaged frozen dinners? Did you ever consider just doubling/tripling whatever you cook and freezing the extra? (if that's what you WERE doing... sorry!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymama
Anyway, someone was telling me about the gluetin/cassin free diet and I'm really wanting to give it a try. Everything he eats right now has those ingredients in it. I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Any good suggestions on how/where to start with the dietary changes?
Start slow and be sure to KEEP A FOOD/DIAPER/SLEEP/BEHAVIOR JOURNAL!!! And start eliminating one item at a time so you can identify what ingredients actually produce a change. Wait a month in between.

It might seem overwhelming at first... lots of label-reading! But once you find your substitute ingredients--it's really not that bad. You can even use your substitutes to make almost everything you used to make. This site has excellent food allergy ingredient lists: http://www.autismmedical.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllmomma
We never got any help/support from a pediatrician either (or gastroenterologist), and we tried many. We did find an MD (family practice) trained in environmental medicine who was much more open minded and helpful.
I haven't found any doctor that is willing to seriously consider this.

My son was dx'd with ASD at 11 months old by a woman who is a leading expert in early diagnosis. He has shown significant improvement, but isn't out of the woods yet. Frankly, he's so much better that I'll take what we have and be happy. At least now I can hold him, he knows I'm in the room and he knows that I've left the room. That's big.

Someone made a good point about the dietary interventions not always being "the answer"... and for us, it wasn't the be-all-end-all-cure-all, but it definitely helped.

Another thing... my son was discovered to have an IgA deficiency. It's an immune system deficiency that makes his linings compromised... sinus linings, stomach linings, intestinal linings... Makes me wonder if this is allowing stuff "through" that other kids would allow to pass through their system.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#87 of 121 Old 05-25-2005, 08:17 PM

I was sure that I remembered someone mentioning in one of their posts that they do a certain holding technique before getting their child into bed. I believe they also mentioned using heavy blankets. I have searched through this thread and don't see it. Anyone else recall this or know anything about it? I am still having a horrible time trying to get my little guy to settle down for the night.

Thanks
#88 of 121 Old 05-25-2005, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

What it sounds like you are asking about is joint compression and sensory stimulation. I would advise you to meet with and occupational therapist. There are certain patterns to how you go through the motions of the different techniques. Meet with someone who could teach you because if you do it the wrong way, you may be sending the wrong impulses or even hurting your child (not that you would hurt your child, but some well meaning parents have without realizing as they thought they were simply providing Occupational Therapy).

We have an OT who comes to our home when we need her to, but you may find one through your local school association as well.
#89 of 121 Old 11-28-2005, 11:53 AM

I am really glad I found this thread. We did the provocative neuratization testing/phenol free allergy testing for ds at age 2. These are expensive but worth it. My son had one year of testing fifteen hours a week, then six allergy shots a week. This is the testing and shots recommended in Dr. Rapps book. Then, they came out with something better called EPD, a $200 shot, once every two months for two years, then a yearly booster. We did the shot once every two months, and were fine, then could not afford the booster. The EPD wore off about five years after this, and then our son has regressed into being very autistic-ish. He goes for the $3,000 autism evaluation that will be covered by ins. as soon as we can get an appointment. Not saying this is the only reason, but I think we ought to get him back on those shots ASAP. The only thing is times this by all five children who need the shots and yikes.

I wish we would get our children back on EPD again (there is an EPD website, you can google it....Enzyme Potentiated Desensitization is what the therapy is (not covered by ins. completely experimental). I want to go Gf/Casein free.....do IV therapy-not chelation-but using mega doses of vit C for the detox-delivered via IV with magnesium, trace minerals, B vitamins, in an aminocin base... This would be a non chemical way of getting rid of mercury-the DMPS is a chemical....I am still doing some more research on this. We used this method to recover my husband from severe chemical exposure from a chemical company and had great success. I love using the IV's to detox chemicals (like mercury). It is very gentle.

I am glad you had major changes through diet. We are getting ready to try again with the diet, but truely, all the radical diets we have ever been on have been total disasters. I really need to be able to make the GF/CF work this time. One problem we had when we went totally strict macrobiotic is severe headaches. We have too many different allergies also, with eight, to eat the same thing...all to gluten, all to dairy, but others to corn, and rice. That is why the shots work so well, because you can eat the foods you are allergic to......

BTW-Fourteen years ago the health food pasta really was mushy and awful. Yesterday I used rice lasanga noodles and they were awesome. Couldn't tell the difference between them and wheat! Some products like that one have really improved over the years. The rice cakes and crackers are still taste awful to us. anyone know the best tasting brand of these???
#90 of 121 Old 11-28-2005, 12:11 PM

We have lots of sleep issues in our family. My seven year old dd asked for anything to help her sleep for Christmas. I found they sell weighted blankets on the internet, and weighted vests and stuffed animals. I am going to get some river rock today to put into the stuffed animals my Mom is making the children for Christmas. Then, I want to find out the technique and make my 7 year old a weighted blanket. They put a certain weight in, and more rock in certain areas of the banket.....really how hard can it be to make myself? I hope those aren't famous last words

Sleepytime tea helps dd get to sleep sometimes.

I got dd a Cd player for Christmas ($14.99 at target-day after thanksgiving sale 6 am!!!). I heard that some people use something called Ease Cd's to help their children sleep. I'd love to have a set of those...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page