New to the board, any Mommy's of Autistics here?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-30-2004, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there, my name is Sheri I am a stay and home Mommy and Homeschool teacher to my beautiful little autistic daughter Natania.

Natania has speech and fine motor skill delays as well as some eating and sensory issues. The toileting issues and sleep issues have been conqured

DH & I are currently looking into the possibility of adopting a special needs child to add to our family.

I look forward to getting to know all of you.
#2 of 9 Old 08-30-2004, 06:40 PM

I have a little Autistic boy. Spencer is almost 3. He has no speech. His motor skills seem to be fine. We have food issues as well. He does have Sensory problems, which seem to be getting better. How on earth did you conquer sleep (our current battle) and potty training? I don't even know where to begin with the potty! How old is your daughter?

Good to meet you!
G
#3 of 9 Old 08-30-2004, 06:49 PM

I have three kids with special needs. My oldest (5 year old) has autism. He has sleep issues, feeding issues, allergies and asthma, sensory integration dysfunction, and oral-motor defensiveness. At age 3, he was non-verbal, not potty trained, not considered high-functioning. Today, he is potty trained, verbal, and we actually have days where there is only one episode of severe behavior. He needs an aide with him in his Kindergarten classroom, but he is able to be in that mainstream classroom with little difficulty. He's come a long way!

Tara
#4 of 9 Old 08-31-2004, 03:14 PM

I have two kids, my oldest is 7, he has high functioning autism/sensory issues.

Congratulations on conquering the toileting issues!! We still have a way to go. Sleep isn't too much of an issue anymore since we discovered melatonin. <g>

We're also doing the GFCF diet with a bit of Feingold thrown in...it's rough, especially when he goes off to school and shares food with his friends.

Hugs!

pisces mama
#5 of 9 Old 08-31-2004, 03:32 PM

We have PDD/NOS here which I guess is considered and autism spectrum disorder. She really didn't seem like it, but lately in addition to all of the other stuff, behavior (hitting, biting, throwing, hurting herself and others, temper tantrums), sleep and emotional issues are really ramping up so she is seeming more in the spectrum than she used to. Here is her intro, welcome to the board, hope you like it here...

Our daughter was adopted at birth in Feb. 2001. She was born to a birthmother with about 12 different risk factors, among them were alcoholism, prescription and street drug addiction (the scripts were ativan, dilantin and trazadone, particularly bad), advanced maternal age, poor health, chain smoking, homelessness, no prenatal until we entered the picture at the beginning of her third trimester and borderline gestational diabetes (as if the rest of it wasn't enough! LOL) Marjorie (the "baby" she'll always be my baby even tho she is a toddler now) has severe CNS delays, some dysmorphology and had retarded growth for her first 14 months (until we had a g-tube put in, a fundoplication done and figured out that she was allergic to corn.). I know what she has is at the very least FAE/FASD if not full blown FAS, mild Hypotonic (becoming hyper as she ages), Hemiplegic cerebral palsy, dyspraxia, Hyposensitive Sensory Integration Disorder (the more rare of the 2 types), she eats almost zero food by mouth, talks very little (apraxia) but does do some minimal adaptive American Sign Language. Lately, they have also been throwing around the PDD/NOS DX. We consider ourselves very lucky, although she does have quite a few issues, she is so much better off than we were told to hope for. She is a complete joy to be with and like almost all special needs kids has the greatest spirit even through all of her therapies, hospitalizations, etc.
#6 of 9 Old 08-31-2004, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Hi eveyone, thanks for the welcome.

Natania is 5 years old. Her sleep issues seemed to resolve around the time we started buying up all sorts of sensory room lighting type stuff. A mini fountain, a lamp with fish that move, a lamp that rotates and casts different colored lights around the room, fiber optic lamps and a laser show type one that you can put a tape deck next to and it will change the pattern of the laser according to the beat.

The most expensive one was the laser, which was $45.00 Canadian.

We would put the stuff on for about 30 minutes or so in the evening and just hang out with her in her room while she went nuts jumping on pillows throwing stufties around to the music, whatever she wanted and then we'd tell her one more song, and shut it off when the song was done and get her ready for bed. We'd leave the fibre optics on for a bit til she fell asleep.

Now we just read a chapter from whichever book we're on (currently Peter Pan) and then we turn on the fibre optic lamps and she goes to sleep. I make sure I turn them off when I go to bed.

A little unorthadox solution for sleep problems I suppose, but it beats the sleeping on the sofa while she sleeps in a tent in the middle of the living room floor with a Lilo & Stitch DVD on repeat play all night long. 6 months of that was enough for me
#7 of 9 Old 09-02-2004, 06:45 PM

I'm Nikole, stay at home mommy to Niklaus. He'll be 6 next month. Nik is autistic, quite high-functioning from what I'm told (and can see far more evidence of now that he's back full-time in school). He has some sensory issues, mostly in touch (he used to rub food on his arms and face before he would attempt to eat it), but seems to be growing out of a good deal of that.

We had sleep issues until he was put on clonodine, and he sleeps through the night as long as he's on a rough schedule for the majority of the week. He's semi-trained for potty... during school hours, he stays dry and goes potty all day (his teacher even said that sometimes he'll stand up and hold his crotch to show he needs to go), but at home we get little of that cooperation.

There are some food issues still... but he's not nearly as picky as he used to be. He used to refuse to eat anything green, even the lime jello we tried to give him one day... but now he tends to eat veggies, even green ones, in small amounts if we tell him he can have pudding or cookies after dinner =p

He does speak, but about 80% of it is mimicking us... or doing recitation of various movies or television shows that he sees. Sometimes he will talk to us, usually when he wants us to get something or do something for him and he can tell that we're not being moved by the "grab the hand and drag us to it" routine that he prefers. Refusing to do anything until he gets at least 2 words about it out to ask us seems to be helping.

Think that about wraps it up, if I plan to quit before making this into a novel!

Nikole ~ mom of NJ (10/98), TJ (10/04), and AJ (12/09)
#8 of 9 Old 09-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Banned

#9 of 9 Old 09-04-2004, 02:10 PM

There are lots of mommies of autistic kids here and I will now add my name to the list. Hi! My ds Adam will be 5 in less than a month and he was dx'd with autism almost a year ago. He has moderate autism with some sensory issues and a bit of tactile defensiveness. He is also vision impaired {lazy eye} with a partial seizure disorder. Until we put him on Risperdal he had VERY aggressive tendancies and some pretty decent sleep problems as well. I know that is a long list and it is very trying at times, but it makes sure that my life is never boring. Who wants that anyway? LOL

As for he delays, he has severe global delays, but his strengths are his fine motor skills and the fact that he can talk some. He is in the early childhood program at one of our local public schools, which he absolutely loves. This year he will be learning kindergarden readiness skills. Yea! I know that for him, homeschooling is absolutely not an option since he thrives in the social environment that the school system creates. Maybe someday that will be an option for him, but I am just thankful that there are services that he can get that I can't provide for him.

Glad to have you on the board, and I look forward to talking more with you in the future. It is always nice to know that there are other parents that can sympathize with what you are going through. Have a good Labor Day weekend Autiemom! Same goes to the other mommies too. *hugz*

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page