Helpful Potty Learning Ideas for Kiddo with Sensory Issues? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-02-2004, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been reading the Out of Sync Child after ds was diagnosed with Sensory Issues. He's the opposite of Sensory Integration - he CRAVES touch and different textures. Loves to play in his food, can't help himself (he's 3.) I know potty learning is hard for most kids no matter what and I know he is only 3 and a boy. But I am just looking for tips that may help him as I continue to support him in this.
#2 of 6 Old 09-05-2004, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
odd thought... texturize the toilet Seriously! get one of those paper toilet seat covers to use as a template and then use fabric and textures that with different feelings and tie it to the potty seat. Kinda gross but make sure you put stuff on it you can wash or don't mind throwing away if its to nasty to wash. His skin will get stimulation and he'll want to sit on the potty to experience the different sensations. Now if he cant feel when he needs to go, cant help you there.

Seriously?
#3 of 6 Old 09-05-2004, 05:46 PM

Hi! We are just starting this process with our daughter who is 3 yrs, 4 mos. We lucked out with our older son -- he has autism and sensory issues, but he basically potty-trained himself by the time he was 4 (we did the book/video/potty doll routine, but didn't push him). My daughter has more challenges in terms of potty-learning than he did, though, so I know she may take longer. One thing that I know will help her is to make it part of her routine (picture schedules are a way of life here). At her preschool and here at home, we have potty time built into her routine. We go to the potty, but never force her to sit on it or anything else. Right now, we are just trying to get her into the routine of going to the place where the potty is located. We are hoping she will choose to sit on the potty by Christmas, but that is a "hope" rather than a "goal." If she hasn't made any headway by the time she turns 4, then I may look into some of the potty advice I've seen for kids with autism (she doesn't have it, but she "hovers" around the edges of the spectrum).

Don't know if that helps at all, but I thought I'd offer it. Good luck,

Tara
#4 of 6 Old 09-05-2004, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome ideas girls! I have a small potty seat I can make some interesting textured covers for. I bet he would love that! And a photo chart of our daily routine - he would really enjoy that too
thanks!
#5 of 6 Old 09-06-2004, 01:26 AM

My 3yo finally trained with the "Royal Potty" by FP. I know, sounds really corny, but she got a kick out of the music playing every time she peed or did bms.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#6 of 6 Old 09-06-2004, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! *giggle* we tried that one - he didn't like it. Poor kid sometimes loves music and other times tells us no singing... We currently have 4 pottys :LOL Buzz LIghtyear, Blue's Clues, a flip one for the big potty and a soft and cushy one for the big potty....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page