How old was your child when they started exhibiting obvious SID tendencies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-05-2005, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds has possible SID-behavioralist and I both think so but hasn't had an official OT diagnosis. Anyway, some things-like touching-have always been a problem but a lot of the more concerning things cropped up between ages 2-3. (He turned 3 in March). Just wondering if it is typical that they get worse with time if untreated or if that is just our experience?
#2 of 12 Old 05-05-2005, 08:35 PM

Abi showed some things pretty much from birth, but it really started showing at 10-12 mos. old. Late starting solids, gagging, rubbing herself on furniture, severe stranger anxiety, never sleeping well, rough play, loud talking and singing. When she learned to walk, it was on her toes, and she still walks on her toes about 50% of the time at age 4.

At two, she showed delayed social development, pushing, body crashing, and all the other classic signs. At three I was getting concerned becuase she was not outgrowing things as I had hoped, they were getting worse. I sought help from a child psychologist, who referred me to an OT. She was dx with SID informally by two OTs who were evalulating my younger dd at the time. Formally dx by a special ed OT through the schools.

Now my youngest also showed it from the start but in different ways. She has severe reflux and it is related to SID. Poor eating, gagging, the whole thing. We got her feeding therapy starting at 6 mos old and OT starting at 10 mos old. It has made a huge, huge difference. She is overcoming many of the things that have come up. I have been able to nip them in the bud or lessen them at least.

I only wish I had been more aggressive about having Abi evaluated and treated earlier. Now they are set habits and it will be harder for her overcome them. She is slowly outgrowing SID but I feel like we lost so much time and it stressed all of us.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#3 of 12 Old 05-05-2005, 09:53 PM

I think Ds has shown some tendencies since birth. He has always been hyper sensitive. He would freak out if there was too much sunlight on him, or if the wind blew his hair. He has also always loved to hug really hard, and had a very high pain threshold (he never cried when he fell learning to walk, or when he ran into walls). I didn't notice alot of it, or start putting it together until he got bigger and the other problems developed. After he had the vax reaction and started being treated for PDD NOS the therapists started asking about these sensory issues and they gave him the lable SID.
#4 of 12 Old 05-05-2005, 10:12 PM

We started getting suspicious of Bran's SID tendencies around his 1st birthday, but in hindsite, he has had the same tendencies from birth.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#5 of 12 Old 05-05-2005, 10:14 PM

near 2
#6 of 12 Old 05-06-2005, 11:18 AM

birth. zane was really hard as an infant, and sid was suggested early on.
#7 of 12 Old 05-06-2005, 01:09 PM
Banned

Our son had problems from birth as well. I think I was told that they can go through a time when it gets worse around 18-24 months, but I could just be misunderstanding what I was told.
#8 of 12 Old 05-07-2005, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishmum
She has also learned what 'works' - eg if you dont like the look of an art activity, go to read a book. When adults realise that you can read, they will be so impressed that they will forget about wanting you to get your hands in the paint.
Smart girl, LOL.

My ds seems normal when I hear your stories and those on other SID threads. He hasn't had an official dianosis yet, but now I am wondering if he is just a bit fussy about things but doesn't have SID, you know? Anyone know how severe things have to be to classify as SID? He was high need like that, only fell asleep if I was walking him in the sling, needed to suck ALL THE TIME, etc. I hated that everyone always said he was such an easy baby-he looked easy because I scheduled my life around him. It was what I believed in and I was glad to do it, but I guess I always felt those comments negated all the work I did to keep him happy.
#9 of 12 Old 05-07-2005, 03:31 PM

Wow, Britishmum, your daughter and my son must have been twins separated at birth . . .. or, you know. He was exactly the same way as a baby and as a toddler. Same timeframe, too. Freaky.

Karla
#10 of 12 Old 05-07-2005, 09:14 PM

[QUOTE=mattjule]
My ds seems normal when I hear your stories and those on other SID threads. He hasn't had an official dianosis yet, but now I am wondering if he is just a bit fussy about things but doesn't have SID, you know? Anyone know how severe things have to be to classify as SID?
[QUOTE]

I am also wondering this, as my almost 4 year old is overly sensitive to some things as well. I have an appointment to have him evaluated for SID next month.

When I look back it seems as if he has been this way since birth. He only wanted to sleep on me, and wanted to nurse every two hours on the dot. He never slept well, and had problems when we started solids. He became FTT because of his eating habits and constipation and is still not on the chart for weight. He hates the brightness of the sun and tags on his clothes. He hates to get dirty and strips his clothes off if one little thing gets on it. He loves to play in water and would stay in the tub all day if I let him. He is prone to throw tantrums if one little thing is slightly off of what he is expecting. I'm sure there are more things, but I can't think of them. I'm hoping the evaluation gives us more info and hopefully a diagnosis.
#11 of 12 Old 05-07-2005, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
my kids are 3 and 10. my 3 yo was dx'ed last week. i noticed very obvious stuff when he was 2.5, but looking back, they were both "HN" babies, and that was probably really SID in disgiuse, begging for identification.

Bring back the old MDC
#12 of 12 Old 05-08-2005, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys
my kids are 3 and 10. my 3 yo was dx'ed last week. i noticed very obvious stuff when he was 2.5, but looking back, they were both "HN" babies, and that was probably really SID in disgiuse, begging for identification.
what she said

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page