G-tube/stoma irritation--any ideas? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 07-20-2005, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I noticed there is quite a few of you tube feeders out there so I figured I'd throw this at ya.

DD who is nine has had her Mic-key for 4 or 5 years. Anyway, all of a sudden the area around it has gotten really red and sore. When we went to the Ped. I had her look at it and she said it's not an infection and it's just irritation. It's happened before but would go away in a day or two and wouldn't be that bad. She said to put some Neosporin on it if we wanted to and that's it. We've also been changing the sof-wics (gauze) around it more often.

Anyway, any ideas of what to put on it to make it get better?

thanks

Me : , husband ,daughter Raven : 10-28-95 :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-20-2005, 11:45 PM

If it is mild, we use aloe vera juice. Or Balmex.

If if it is moderate, we use triamcinolone cream. (Rx steroid)

If it is really bad, silver nitrate for any excess tissue growth.

We have also found leaving the gauze off helps it to heal faster.
#3 of 8 Old 07-22-2005, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmina
We have also found leaving the gauze off helps it to heal faster.
For real? When I do that it gets crusty and in this case the redness got almost a little scabby. Is that a good thing? She does not like it when I'm cleaning that crap off.

We are not to the silver nitrate stage-- we've used that before.
But thanks for the advice about aloe vera juice. I'll try it. We might end up doing the triamcinolone cream. I'll ask the Dr. for it if it comes to that.

thanks a bunch

#4 of 8 Old 07-22-2005, 12:39 PM

Actually, after I left it off for awhile (like a month :LOL ) it stopped getting the crusties and looks way better. To clean off the crusties, just use a washcloth with really hot water and let it sit around the button for awhile. It will loosen those nasties right up so you don't have to scrape 'em off with your fingernails.

My dd had crusties and goo on her clothes for about 2-3 weeks and then it just stopped. The tiny bit of moisture from the gauze was promoting granulation tissue growth.

Good luck.
#5 of 8 Old 07-29-2005, 08:42 PM

Hi there,

I hope you've gotten this cleared up by now, but I thought I would add what we have had success with just in case. We have actually had really good luck with our stoma, so I'm not sure if it's because of our routine or just plain good luck, but anyway, we don't use a gauze at all. We just wash the area twice a day with soap and water and let it be. I was told by one of our home care nurses that saline is a great healer, and I have used it on DS's stoma area the few times it is a little reddened and it clears right up. We haven't had anything more than mild redness, so I'm not sure how it would do for more severe issues. Anyway, I hope you are healed up by now. Good luck!

Mamma to three boys : We love :::
#6 of 8 Old 07-31-2005, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Aloe vera juice works well with Nitara's stoma. Also, if you can get him into a swimming pool or the ocean, that will help dry and heal. We went to the beach a couple weeks ago and Nitara's stoma never looked better.

BTW one sign that Nitara is outgrowing her Prilosec is her stoma gets more irritated and red. Is he on any meds to control stomach acid? Do you think he might be getting irritated by teething or a cold (excess mucous), or something like that?

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#7 of 8 Old 08-20-2005, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

just thought I'd update you--- dd's stoma/g-tube site just kept getting worse but we finally found the problem

She had outgrown her mic-key. It's the right size around but it is too short so it was pushing on her stomach too much and causeing the irritation. We got a longer one and it already seems better.

Who knew? I did think about that and so I let a little water out of the baloon, but I guess that doesn't really help.

Anyway, thought I'd tell you in case the same thing ever happens to someone else.

#8 of 8 Old 08-20-2005, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So glad you found out the answer. I hope it heals up very soon.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page