My son w/autism won't keep his clothes on (xpost w/childhood) - Mothering Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By frogguruami

#1 of 7 Old 01-30-2006, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds1 is almost 4. He has autism and is almost completely nonverbal. He's nowhere near potty training. He also will take his clothes off whenever he has the chance. I've tried overalls, he can get them off. I try pinning his pants to his shirts, he can get them off somehow. I have those full head to toe slipper pajamas and he can get out of them WITHOUT UNZIPPING THEM. I have no problem with him being naked, but I do have a problem cleaning up poo and pee over and over. When he's outside running around, I'll let him stay naked if he wants, but inside, he needs to wear clothes or use the potty.

I don't think it's a sensory issue that he doesn't like the feeling of the clothes, b/c when we're out somewhere, I don't battle this. At school or therapies, they don't have those problems. Just at home.

Any suggestions?

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-31-2006, 12:54 AM

I had this problem with my son and I simply decided to pick my battles. He was keeping his clothes on where it was socially appropriate to do so. We agreed that as long as he kept his underwear on he was fine taking everything else off at home. Now I have the opposite problem. He will wear the same outfit for days and there are some days that I have to physically remove the dirty clothes from him.

AM
JordanKX likes this.
#3 of 7 Old 02-01-2006, 01:33 PM

I wouldn't rule out that it is a sensory issue just because he doesn't fight you on this outside of the home, but rather that because of the added stimuli outside of the house, the clothes go unnoticed or that he knows the 'rule' that clothes must be worn outside the house. My ds with autism has many 'rules' that he has made for himself (things must be a certain way because they were that way before). Does that make any sense?

#4 of 7 Old 02-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Fay

We went through this with DS when he was 2.5 years old. We lived in the "House of Flying Poop." The first rule that I enforced was that no one can answer the door naked. Then I started enforcing the rule about everyone peeing and pooping in the bathroom (I didn't care if he did it on the bathroom floor, I just wanted it off the carpet). Eventually he realized that he could pee in the toilet "just like Daddy." It was important to stress that everyone in the house lives by these rules. I bought matching Hanes boxer briefs for my DH and DS, which suddenly made boxer briefs VERY attractive to DS...he still likes to strip naked, but we try to get the underpants back on at a minimum. The naked thing is definitely a sensory issue: even the air feels different on bare skin.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#5 of 7 Old 02-01-2006, 11:14 PM

I agree it could still be a sensory issue. My ds1 is 4.5 yo and has SID, he loves to be naked too. He will also wear clothes when we are out, and knows that we can't leave the house until he is dressed. He is potty trained though so that is not an issue for us. Is he in a pull up or another type of diaper? I guess there really isn't a diaper that an almost 4 yo can't take off is there? I'm really no help.
#6 of 7 Old 02-02-2006, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

I'm sure he just likes the feeling of being naked, who doesn't?? Everyone in my house (except me) prefers to be naked. Seriously, dh, dd, ds1 and 2 would be naked all the time if socially acceptable. I wouldn't care if he were naked all the time at home if he would just not poop and pee on the floor.

So, maybe I should retitle this to: help me keep my kids clothes on OR help me to get my kid to pee/poop in the potty and not on the floor while he's naked!!

Thanks everyone

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#7 of 7 Old 07-14-2015, 07:13 AM

Try Cj Suits at keepemon.com they work great

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page